First timer, might buy 5 axis MX45VAE...opinions?

Thread: First timer, might buy 5 axis MX45VAE...opinions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First timer, might buy 5 axis MX45VAE...opinions?

I'm good with CAD, but have never worked a CNC or CAM. Looking to make parts that require a 5 axis machine, this one has the OSP-U100L controller, tool changer, chip conveyor. Would love some help and opinions on this.

How are the Okuma's for a first timer? I know I'd need to hire or help with setup, maintenance and training.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First timer, might buy 5 axis MX45VAE...opinions?

hy mx45vae is a 3 axis machine ... do you wish to buy a full 5axis cnc or you wish to simply put a divizor with 2 axis on the mx45vae ?

is not so common to begin with machining in full 5 axis thus is not as simple as on simpler machines, but is not impossible

be carefull that control may be filled with settings that are not always required during a setup : this may lead to a lot of time required to understand those "extra functions", just to simply reach the conclusion that you dont need them

i dont know if what i said is true for osp-u100l, but i can tell that newer machines are more complex

maybe you shoud think about a 3+2 cnc, thus a rigid mill + divizor, instead of a full 5 axis ...

if somehow you have a guarantee for part that are to come, that this may help you decide ... otherwise, getting a full 5 axis cnc may involve some risks

... just some morning thoughts kindly !

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the reply! The unit for sale has a 5th axis rotary table, and I need to mill impellers. We'll be working almost exclusively with aluminum. How would this unit compare to something like say a HAAS VF2SS with a trunnion table?

Downloads
    Uploads

hope that 5th axis has the required rigidity for your parts, so to not worry about reducing cutting specs

what is the top rpm for that mill, and what rpm do you think that those parts require ?

i dont know what to say about the haas comparison, but if the cnc is not new, than be sure that you wont be sorry ( costly repairs )

i wish u all the best milling impelers

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have two sets of specs...it is either 7k which I know would make it a little slow, or 12k. Neither of these would be new....no budget for a brand new machine. Needing to stay around $50k setup. The MX45 is ~$30k before shipping, setup, etc. Okuma MX45VAE 2000 | Machinery Marketing International

Downloads
    Uploads

The MX45 is a good solid accurate well designed machine. It is a high end machine when compared to the Haas and you will likely get years of trouble free service from it. It is not originally a 5 axis machine so be sure if you are going to cut impellers that it is a true full 5 axis and not a 3+2 positioning. Whose 5th axis is it and does it have Okuma servos on it? Before buying, I would have them demo the full 5 to be sure.

The Okuma is a very logical control and the U-100 is bulletproof, but Okuma operators are harder to come by than Fanuc guys because of the volume produced. The control has a hundred little things on it that make it better in my opinion, but others may disagree depending on what they are familiar with.

Once you get through the initial learning curve, you will be satisfied and there is a lot of power in the control for advanced users once you are ready for it.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

just in case, pls consider that Mastercam has a software module only for this kind of parts

maybe you will be able to compare your variants with the Mastercam, just to get the best from bought

... and one more thing : it just came to my mind : i guess you will be using high rpm almost all the time

even if your parts will be payed well, consider using a head attachement that will increase your speed, as long as it will be able to run your tools

i had some links .... do you know how big is/are the tools that will run @ high rpm for a long time ?

Downloads
    Uploads

hy what mr Wizard said is very important ... be certain that the cnc is full syncronizing all axes

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    It is not originally a 5 axis machine so be sure if you are going to cut impellers that it is a true full 5 axis and not a 3+2 positioning. Whose 5th axis is it and does it have Okuma servos on it? Before buying, I would have them demo the full 5 to be sure

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    The MX45 is a good solid accurate well designed machine. It is a high end machine when compared to the Haas and you will likely get years of trouble free service from it. It is not originally a 5 axis machine so be sure if you are going to cut impellers that it is a true full 5 axis and not a 3+2 positioning. Whose 5th axis is it and does it have Okuma servos on it? Before buying, I would have them demo the full 5 to be sure.

The Okuma is a very logical control and the U-100 is bulletproof, but Okuma operators are harder to come by than Fanuc guys because of the volume produced. The control has a hundred little things on it that make it better in my opinion, but others may disagree depending on what they are familiar with.

Once you get through the initial learning curve, you will be satisfied and there is a lot of power in the control for advanced users once you are ready for it.

Best regards,
    Reassuring knowing the machine is solid. I'll verify the function to make sure it'll perform as a true 5 axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    just in case, pls consider that Mastercam has a software module only for this kind of parts

maybe you will be able to compare your variants with the Mastercam, just to get the best from bought

... and one more thing : it just came to my mind : i guess you will be using high rpm almost all the time

even if your parts will be payed well, consider using a head attachement that will increase your speed, as long as it will be able to run your tools

i had some links .... do you know how big is/are the tools that will run @ high rpm for a long time ?
    I'll have to run some calculators. I don't have my part in CAM yet so have to still work out which tooling to use and full speeds. I'm not a machinist so it'll take some learning and reasoning before getting to any actual milling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and the one I'm looking at might actually have the OSP 700L controller. I haven't seen a direct comparison of the two or a specs sheet yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you wish, pls consider rpm amplifiers like these ones : BT40 - YMT Tooling

they may help you increase the life of the spindle

please take notice than once your rpm is greater than cca 5..6000, an internal counter my be activated, thus saying that you have used the spindle in high rpms

kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

hi ! one more thing : on such parts, you may encounter the problem of a toolpath made with many small segments/arches, that may lead to a lot of tool friction and cnc motion succumb

if possible, until your cnc arives, try to find a programmer near you and a 5axis machine, make a part and pay attention to this aspect

in this way, the only problem with your future cnc will be setup / fixture and some code editing kindly !

ps : maybe your machine will have some toolpath optimizations like HiCut or Nurbs, etc ; such functions help to create a smoother movement, especially for parts as impellers

Downloads
    Uploads

hy ! if you wish to consider colaboration, i have a free machine, that may be suitable for the job

kindly!