Need Help! Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again

Thread: Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again

Hi, last year I had trouble with the spindle on my mid 80's LB15. With help from here I was able to get the old girl going, but the problems have started again. It seems that as soon as the weather starts to cool off, she doesn't like to start in the mornings. Later in the day all is good.

I have isolated the problem to the speed sensor on the spindle motor. I proved this today by pulling the motor out , removing the fan & then the sensor cover & heating the sensor with my daughters hairdryer. After only a couple of minutes of warming, the motor runs fine in both directions

My question is, what components on the sensor can be effected by warmth in this way

Here is a pic

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again-p1010004-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again

Ok, I have worked out that it must be a weak magnet that in someway responds to heat. I adjusted the clearance between the toothed wheel & magnet to 0.05mm & she runs fine. Does anyone know how much "air gap" there should be? I am concerned that having too little gap may lead to interference between the two once everything warms up. Cheers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dreaded LB15 Spindle issues again

A big thanks to Jim (doctorcnc) for helping me out again. It is great having people with such extensive knowledge of these machines & who are willing to share it. Regards wc56