Just a stupid question

Thread: Just a stupid question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just a stupid question

How come Okuma has to be so different? I'm talking about the control and its use of G codes etc. And how many have retrofitted a Fanuc control on them?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just a stupid question

I started out on Yasnac's and Fanuc's, and I hated every time I had to work on an Okuma control. However, most of the folks I know that started out on Okuma controls HATE when they have to work on a Fanuc or other non-Okuma.

I guess it's all relative.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah what you get used to. But the problem is pretty much everything is Fanuc like as far as G codes etc. If I remember Okuma does some weird thing with G90 that would really mess me up if I had to deal with manually programming it. Also I can imagine that things like macros are a mess as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm talking about the control and its use of G codes etc
    hy there is a fashion to take G codes from the user interface, thus leaving them to the software : igf / cam, etc

in this way, users / programmers may focus on things at a macro level, while the software will generate code at micro level

so this fashion tends to make the programmer work easier

is good to know bought micro and macro levels, so to say when you mastered them, you may program any cnc, without thinking that is Okuma or whatever else

How come Okuma has to be so different?
    Okuma has some particularities, and the control is one of them

once you will find your inner peace with the G codes, you may start discovering what makes Okuma to be Okuma

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Once you get used to the Okuma you will wonder why the Fanuc is so "different". Why EOB insert? Why do I have alter insert etc. in the editor? Why can't I upload download while running? Why aren't graphics available showing what's running? Why do I need to zero return? Why can't I check panel switches? Why can't I use more than 3 m codes max?

It's all what you are used to. Everyone has different g and m codes.

More Fanuc guys love their Okumas than Okuma guys like their Fanucs from what I've seen.

Don't downgrade the control. ;-) Its not worth it.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geez wiz, no modern fanucs? Yes okuma was light years ahead in the 80s and 90s, now its all pretty much same same. I will say fanuc is way better at being able to get old parts, and cheaper than okuma. Anyone needing a VAC type A or a BLD drive will hate okuma!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

hy mr Wizard i did not understand some of your statements :

Why EOB insert? + Why do I have alter insert etc. in the editor? > i google it, and i think that these are "veteran edit functions", that maybe now are default on osp300

Why can't I upload download while running? > i think this is something about data pumping into the cnc ? like to reload faster a file after it had been edited ? i have no clue

Why aren't graphics available showing what's running? > i don't use graphics ; also i think that graphics and CAS leads to overload computer from osp300 lags from time to time, so is better to "pet" him

Why do I need to zero return? > this is because of the absolute encoders i understood this later ... better than never

Why can't I check panel switches? > you shared, more than once, procedures about these; still out of my experience

Why can't I use more than 3 m codes max? > i think that this extra M codes, is about macros or maybe controlling something outside the machine, like a feeder / robot; etc

however, this thread remind me that i wish to create one about Okuma's particularities, but 1st i need to read some more

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    now its all pretty much same same
    i am not into this for as long as others, but i guess this is true : differences will decrease in time; mainly because of globalization

this is obvious in automobile market : all new common models look prety much the same : same recycled design same provider / tehcnology for steering wheel, senzors, lights, etc