Need Help! Okuma Cadet LNC-8 - Hydraulics Out

Thread: Okuma Cadet LNC-8 - Hydraulics Out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Cadet LNC-8 - Hydraulics Out

Hello Everyone,

When I powered up the lathe this morning, there was a horrendous crackling noise coming from the hydraulic system in the back of the machine that sounded like a bad bearing in the electric motor. I powered down, pulled off the top fan cover and cleaned all the gunk around the fan, powered back up and the noise stopped. The motor is turning just fine but I have no hydraulic pressure now. I'm guessing that the noise was the actual mechanical pump that's submerged shattering into pieces...?

I removed the eye bolts that fasten the lid of the tank but with all of the solenoids, brackets and weight of the electric motor/pump, the lid is impossible to completely remove. I see that there's bolts from underneath the lid that's fastened to the electric motor above, but I can't get to them all through the small opening. Do I need to drain all of the fluid to remove this thing? Is anyone familiar with what the mechanical pump looks like or if it's susceptible to failure/breakage?

I need to get back up and running as quickly as possible! Thanks in advance for help anyone can give me!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Cadet LNC-8 - Hydraulics Out

hy, hidra pump might be the one with gears but i am not sure, and if gears arbor calopsed, than pump works but you have no presure

hidraulic duration ( clamping ) is short if presure is high, but if you have no hidraulic, than once you triger the clamp comand, than pump should go without stoping ....

also, to drain your system, just reverse your pump, but if it does not work ....

all leads to your pump ... check signals, but that sound means inspection ( if you are sure that what you heared is metal organs failure ) ... is harder to take it down, but after, a good mechanic would fix it

also, if it is just the pump, will just take time ... is not complicated

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

There are various versions of hydraulic systems on these machines. I'm going from memory here, but the more common unit was made by Parker; it sounds like you may have the one with the Baldor motor on top and it gets attached with the bolts from the bottom going up. You may/may not have the tank with the round cover plate that you can remove to get to the bolts. If you do, then you drain the oil and access it that way. More likely, you have the solid tank where the lid has to come off (I believe this requires unbolting the entire tank form the machine frame and moving it out from underneath to be able to lift it up). The coupling between the motor and pump has been known to fail; the downside is that Parker only sells the pump to Okuma (Same as the valves, or at least they used to and I would doubt that has changed). The upside (if you can call it that) is Okuma used to sell the pump and motor separately, so you didn't have to buy the whole unit, but if I remember correctly, the pump is still pricey. As for what the pump looks like, I believe it just hangs upside down with a line going up to the lid (goes through the bottom of that manifold) and then another pipe coming out the other side with a strainer/filter attached to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The coupling between the motor and pump has been known to fail
    is ok to know that this ...
    the downside is that Parker only sells the pump to Okuma
    i think this is common : there is a toolholders producer here, and i am not alowed to buy directly from him, but through our dealer; in this case, the problem was " factory door price " vs " okuma sell price "; well, business is business : someone works, someone's win > this won't change soon

for example, i know, for holders, price difference between dealer and producer, and 1st time i found out that, i said " wtf ", but after, i observed that this "sell prices of their", which become " aquisition for me", are well covered if the cnc spins ...

to avoid this, i would replace whatever necesary with pumps from another dealer ... a pump is a pump, and i don't think that it must be a " parker "

if it is only the " coupling " , than it's cheaper ...

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, just a Lovejoy coupling between the motor and pump. Pretty common failure on those.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

one more thing : coupling may contain an element with elastic deformation propertries; the elastic property may be marked with different colors - like this, for same coupling, there are available different rigidities

such an element delivers smoother rotation transmision between "driven arbor ( motor ) " and " lead arbor ( pump ) ", and stops the "lead" to get in front of the " driven ", so "lead" will not spin faster than the "driven" ...

without it, the coupling acts more rigid, but at small pumps, like a lathe hydra, is not a must

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I can remember, it was a very stiff, probably nylon, and oil resistant. They were originally a white color, but could be yellow/brown from old oil by now.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk