auto Z origin on lathe - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: auto Z origin on lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: auto Z origin on lathe

please, i need help finding an answer for this questions :

1) if chuck is open and bar is pulled on the turret ( z effort : 0 % ), than barr will push the turret when chuck is clamped ( z effort : 24 %)

... what mechanism makes the effort to increase ? how does the turret "feel" that the bar is pushing her ?

2) can i continue using the lathe like that ? will the turret get a bit rotated if i repeat clamping the material like that ? kindly !

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

what mechanism makes the effort to increase ? how does the turret "feel" that the bar is pushing her ?
    i think i understood this : turret tends to move right, rotating the screw ball; encoder records motion, and requests more tension to keep the turret where it is

actually, i never understood how okuma's "absolute position encoders" work ...

however, hope i got it right / i am not an electronist, so this is enough for me

ps : and the "following error" as well, i guess, is controlled by this encoders ...

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

You are ... This shows up as motor load or current applied
    thank you mr Wizard it is more clear now

each mechanical chain has some mechanisms ( more or less ); here are 2 mechanisms types:
    ... "control mechanism" : checks movement
    ... "comand mechanism" : creates movement

after this thread i started understanding "control mechanism" : absolute encoders

if the turret is pushed, than the screw ball tends to rotate; thus the screw ball is rotated :
    ... normally by the motor
    ... accidentaly by the turret
    i guess that the screw ball must be designed to be rotated by the turret, so to avoid bad things

a few time ago i was curios about "comand mechanism", because increased accuracy will delay the motors, making the cnc respond slower; for example a linear axis is moving smoother among 10mm than among 2 segments of 0.001 length each i was targeting "optimal accuracy" : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...precision.html

This can increase until max current is reached at which point the DIFF will continue to grow until about 1mm is reached. That is when the DIFF over alarm will occur
    i encountered a "diff over" alarm when feed was to high

also, when a crash occurs, thus "NC torque limiter" drops in , there is :
    ... 1181 - diff over
    ... 1098 - motors off

if i would see this error during machining, i guess it would mean "get ready to pay"

Make sense now?
    yup, thx again

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    if chuck is open and bar is pulled on the turret ( z effort : 0 % ), than barr will push the turret when chuck is clamped ( z effort : 24 %)

can i continue using the lathe like that ? will the turret get a bit rotated if i repeat clamping the material like that ? kindly !
    i think there is a god in everything :

i needed OD holders so to start a setup; Okuma dealer did not replied, and i am not allowed to buy from the producer

there are some games arround here about Okuma dealer as unique suplier, etc prety messy

so i find alternatives at Kintek and i had them sent by plane prety fast : these ones solved the raising effort

as you can see in attached images, newer holders clamp the tool from side, while older clamp the tool from underneath

on new holders, when the material is pulled by hand, it touches those screws that are used to clamp the tool inside the holder thus contact area is no more intersecting the spindle axis, but is excentric : in this way, when the chuck is closing, the material may rotate a bit ( i think ) and slide ...

z effort after clamping is 0 % if i pull harder, i reach 17% ; on older holders, 24% was reached pretty easy, and i could feel how the tension goes into the turret ... now all is softer, lighter

ps : and i was thinking to craft sleeves with springs, and other nasty solutions pfff

Downloads
    Uploads

these new holders have increased coolant holes : o8.5

and price is almost the same as the ones that i got from my dealer

in attached image can be seen, with blue, the contact area on older holders ( left ), respectively on newer ones ( right )

i shared also photos with them and the Kintek holders for Okuma

Downloads
    Uploads

hello all it is almost a year since i started this thread, and with the help from mr Wizard i have written a code that detects part/material frontal, when a barr-puller is used, and a lot of slippery occurs, thus the material is not always pulled the same, even if puller travel is constant; code minimizes errors and checks the goldilocks zone, so to avoid a crash : post #17

meanwhile, i have been writing code that cuts the bar frontal, so to begin clean, when machining many parts from a single bar, and a bar-puller is used

i will share soon a procedure that is meant to do this start-up task simple, safe and fast

i have trials over trials, and there is a lot of mess before code gets simpler sometimes is hard for me to focus, because guys arround here are welding, hammers, etc ... but these are the conditions there are moments when i open a code that i wrote a while ago and it takes me too much time to reenter that state of mind that i had when i initialy wrote it ... only after that i can modify it

lately i stoped sharing fresh code ... i consider a code good to be shared only after it was running on the cnc for a while

so i try to avoid sharing 2nd quality but only the best that i can deliver kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    ... chuck has clearance in it in order to operate. As it clamps, the tolerances are taken up ...
    hy mr Wizard if i may, how do you verify this clearance ?

i do something like this :
    ... unclamp the chuck
    ... with the inside key, i rotate the nut, so to put the jaws in the upper limit
    ... i put a comparator on the jaw, paralel with jaw_radial_movement ( comparator_value=A )
    ... i turn the key in the opposite direction, so to create a bit of play ( comparator_value=A-0.1 )
    ... clamp & unclamp the chuck
    ... comparator value will be smaller, because of backlash ( comparator_value < A-0.1 )
    ... now i raise the jaw by hand, and see if i can reach the A-0.1 value
    ... i adjust the nut inside, until each jaw has a minimal comfortable/admisible play; 0.1 for example, or sliding the jaw by hand feels ok

- at this point, the chuck is free of tension when it is opened
    - also there is enough jaw travel left, so the chuck will behave normal
    - thus i reduce a bit the jaw travel, so to gain clearance
    - if jaw travel is maximal, than there is no clearance and internal tension appears when chuck is unclamped

this aplies only to normal ( OD ) clamping

if there is no play when chuck is open, than it means that the chuck is in tension, also when lathe is powered off this behaviour is similar to when using the chuck for ID clamping

when a chuck is used for :
    ... OD clamping, it is in stress only at clamp position, and at unclamp position may be free
    ... ID clamping, it is in stress at bought clamp & unclamp position

achieving no tension at unclamp position when ID clamping is tricky

i recomend always leaving the chuck unclamped, before power off, at the position where jaws are up, and be sure that the chuck is in a free position, thus only the hydraulic cilinder is in tension

kindly !

ps : here is a contraexample for the behaviour that i try to suggest : imagine a classic lathe, which has clamped normal a part ; when you unclamp it, consider that you dont leave the jaws free, but clamp a pipe, thus the chuck remains in tension, until next part is clamped

Downloads
    Uploads

hello i would like to share the procedure that i use for "senseless gauging" technique, thus using torque skip to detect Z0, when material feed is done by using a bar-puller

such a procedure is subject to the following :
    ... fast editable for different materials
    ... fast editable for frontal machining, depending on material frontal condition after cutting ( tilted face after saw / circular / etc )
    ... safety bounds ( goldilocks zone )
    ... log
    ... no extra movements
    ... existing movements are as short as possible
    ... "senseless gauging" occurs on knife shank ( specified by 2nd offset ), and cutting ocurs normal, on insert ( specified by 1st offset )

i tried to minimize the number of input variables without compromising functionality

these are the input parameters :
    Code:
        V1 = 0.3    ( Z position for last frontal cut )
        V2 = 0.4    ( frontal cut width / how thick is the salami slice )
        V3 = 3      ( how many slices is desired to be cut >= 1 )
        V4 = 2      ( number of tries >= 1 ) (*1)
        V5 = 11     ( T - tool )
        V6 = -123   ( X contact )

V21 = 1900     ( n )
        V22 = 0.15     ( f )
        V23 = 35       ( X start )
        V24 = -2*0.8   ( X  end  ) ( *r )
    for the above example, machine will behave like this :
    1) safe position
    2) will position, using 2nd offset of tool V5, at X=V6 and a specific Z
    3) M0 will occur, for the operator to pull the bar on the turret and close the chuck without the need to keep the bar pressed on the turret, thus no (extra) force is needed
    4) torque skip will occur
    5) if detected Z is ok, than machine will change to 1st offset of tool V5 and cut V3 slices, each slice with width=V2; last slice will be cut at Z=V1
    ... rpm, feed, X+ and X- for slicing ( frontal cut ) are specified by V21 .. V24
    6) safe position
    ... if after inspection frontal is not clean, than operator may rerun the program without the need to pull the bar on the turret at M0
    ... in this way, program will perform faster
    ... program will stop if number of repetitions exceeds V4

ok, now lets go deeper into this

program cuts a specified number of salamy slices (V3), with a specified width (V2)

last slice is not at Z0, but at Z=V1, thus an editable value :
    ... if this program is not used with a bar puller, thus it is used for a single part, than V1 may be 0, and there may be no frontal cut inside the program
    ... if this program is used with a bar puller, than V1 must retain same amount of material, like the bar puller had been used
    ...... in this way, bar puller will pull the part at same Z as the final cut of this program it sounds normal

about the repetability :
    ... this program cuts 3 times, each time a slice width=0.4; thus a total of 3*0.4=1.2
    ... this amount should be specified in such a manner that will deliver clean frontal bars, acording to their state ( how rough and tilted are before machining )
    ... same thing occurs on 2*0.6 or 1*1.2; however, is good to use more tiny slices instead of a big one, so to protect tool nose
    ... in this case, program uses a repetability input of 2 times ( V4 ); thus second time when program will be runned, it will cut same amount : 3*0.4=1.2; if operator runs the program a 3rd time, no cutting will ocurr, because program will detect that actual Z is too low
    ... this behaviour is because this program acts like a presseter : thus it runs only once, before the main program that loops to cut the parts; this program runs on an absolute zero, and it checks the detect frontal to be within some limits; if limits are ok, than slices will be cut, and Z will be updated, delivering a ready state for the main program

thus this presseter detects part frontal, checks limits and logs data, just in case

safe position
    come with tool shank in front of chuck
    orient chuck & change offset
    feed to position
    M0 ( operator should pull the material on the turret )
    torque skip
    log data
    check limits and continue only if all ok
    change offset & cut slices
    safe position

so far so good ? lets develop

safe position without broken vector
    activate main offset
    update X in 2nd offset, so to eliminate the need to manually update X in 2nd offset each time a X offset is changed ( thus a corection occurs )
    come with tool shank in front of chuck at Zmaxim+2.5
    feed to position Z=Zmaxim
    move to right
    torque skip
    move to right, so to disengage contact
    log data : zero before, z contact, computed zero

Downloads
    Uploads

lets continue

activate main offset
    update X in 2nd offset, so to eliminate the need to manually update X in 2nd offset each time a X offset is changed ( thus a corection occurs )
    come with tool shank in front of chuck at Zmaxim+2.5
    ... Zmaxim=V1 + V2 * V3 * V4
    ... i dont go directly at Zmaxim, but at +2.5 in front, so to avoid contact when i rerun the program, and during previous session no cut occured
    feed to position Z=Zmaxim
    ... feed, not rapid, so to achieve a gentle touch in case that material is allready there
    move to right
    ... moving at Zmaxim+5
    ... +5 so monitoring_to_be_effective; 5 is a minimal recomended value
    ...... more than 5 : useless motion
    ...... less than 5 : monitoring may be ineffective
    torque skip
    move to right, so to disengage contact
    ... move right with 2.5
    log data : zero before, z contact, computed zero
    ... Zminim<detected_z<Zmaxim
    ... Zminim=V1 + V2 * V3
    ... using not a cycle, but optimized G code

Downloads
    Uploads

the thing :

Code:
    OS000 ( pulling bars on the turret )

V1 = 0.3    ( Z position for last frontal cut )
        V2 = 0.4    ( frontal cut width / how thick is the salami slice )
        V3 = 3      ( how many slices is desired to be cut >= 1 )
        V4 = 2      ( number of tries >= 1 ) (*1)
        V5 = 11     ( T - tool )
        V6 = -123   ( X contact )

( * ) ( LV01 , LV02 , LV03 : used lower )

( IF [ VRSTT NE 0 ] NEND ) ( this remains in paranthesis; this code will never be restarted )

( M867 )                   ( no shortening restart sequence )
        G00 X+LVXP-VETFX Z150-VETFZ
        T+V5*101 M66
        VTOFX [ VETLN+20 ] = VTOFX [ VETLN ]              ( 2nd offset )
        V4 = V1 + V2 * V3 * V4                            ( Z contact maxim )
        V7 = V4 + 5                                       ( Z start G22 = Z contact maxim + 5 ) (*2)
        V8 = V1 + V2 * V3                                 ( Z contact minim )
        V9 = 2.5 + VTOFZ [ VETLN ] - VTOFZ [ VETLN + 20 ] ( retreat after torque skip ) (*3)

CALL OSG
        CALL OZCHK
        CALL OQ000

( NEND )

RTS

( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . )

OSG ( senseless gauging )

G00 X+V6 Z+V4+2.5    ( Z contact maxim + 2.5 )
        M19 T+VETLN+20
        G01 X+VSIOX Z+V4    F2000   G94
        M0
                  ( Z+V7+5 ) (*4)
                    Z+V7
        G29 PZ=60
        G22 PZ=25   Z-V7    F+100*5 G94 D+V7*2 ( L0 still going ) (*5)
        G28

RTS

OZCHK ( origin Z axis check )

G00 Z=VSIOZ+V9 M18
        CALL OSGL
        IF [ [ [ VSIOZ-V9 GE V8 ] AND [ VSIOZ-V9 LE V4 ] ] EQ 1 ] NJUMP
            NRPT M0 ( out of bounds )
                 GOTO NRPT
            NJUMP VSZOZ=VSZOZ+VSIOZ-V9-V8
                  T = VETLN ( Z = Z contact minim + 2.5 )
        NEND

RTS

OSGL ( senseless gauging log )

FWRITC contact-1.txt;A

LV01 = VSIOZ-V9
        LV02 = VSZOZ+LV01-V8

PUT '    '
        PUT VSZOZ       ( origin before contact )
        PUT '    '
        PUT LV01        ( contact )
        PUT '    '
        PUT LV02        ( origin after contact )

WRITE C
        CLOSE C

RTS

OQ000 ( straight face )

V21 = 1900     ( n )
        V22 = 0.15     ( f )
        V23 = 35       ( X start )
        V24 = -2*0.8   ( X  end  ) ( *r )

( * )

G97 S=V21 M42 M03 M08 G00 X+V23 Z=VSIOZ M63

NAGAIN V3=V3-1
                   Z+V1+V2*V3
               G01 X+V24 F+V22 G95 
                   Z+VSIOZ+0.3
               IF [ V3 EQ 0 ] NBREAK
               G00 X+V23
        GOTO NAGAIN

NBREAK G00 X+LVXP-VETFX Z150-VETFZ M05 M63 M09

RTS

(*1)
    ( Z contact minim = V1+V2 )
    ( Z contact maxim - Z contact minim : multiple of salami slice )
    (*2)
    ( 5 is minimal recomended distance, so  torque skip will work )
    ( Monitoring is invalid   if : [APPROACH] <= [WORK POSITION]+[+OK]+2mm               )
    ( Monitoring is effective if : [APPROACH] >= [WORK POSITION]+[+OK]+[CENTER HOLE]+5mm )
    (*3)
    ( while 2nd offset is active, turret is moving at a position specific to 1st offset )
    (*4)
    ( eliminates backlash effort )
    ( to be used if this effort is big and may lead to wrong results )
    Code:
    	   105.555	     2.512	   106.967
    	   105.555	     1.752	   106.207
    	   105.555	     1.353	   105.808
    	   105.555	      1.26	   105.715
    	   105.555	     2.502	   106.957
    	   105.555	     1.953	   106.408
    	   105.555	     1.779	   106.234
    	   105.555	     2.259	   106.714
    	   105.555	     2.378	   106.833
    	   105.555	     2.592	   107.047
    	   105.555	     2.514	   106.969
    	   105.555	     2.673	   107.128
    	   105.555	     2.206	   106.661
    	   105.555	       1.9	   106.355
    	   105.555	     2.247	   106.702
    	   105.555	     2.593	   107.048
    	   105.555	     2.687	   107.142
    	   105.555	     2.633	   107.088
    	   105.555	     2.259	   106.714
    	   105.555	     2.273	   106.728
    	   105.555	     2.044	   106.499
    	   105.555	     1.873	   106.328
    	   105.555	     2.647	   107.102
    	   105.555	     2.246	   106.701
    	   105.555	     2.153	   106.608
    	   105.555	     1.833	   106.288
    	   105.555	     2.366	   106.821
    	   105.555	      2.14	   106.595
    	   105.555	     2.406	   106.861
    	   105.555	       2.3	   106.755
    	   105.555	     2.273	   106.728
    	   105.555	     2.593	   107.048
    	   105.555	     2.139	   106.594
    	   105.555	     2.046	   106.501
    	   105.555	     1.766	   106.221
    	   105.555	     2.006	   106.461
    	   105.555	     2.687	   107.142
    	   105.555	     2.419	   106.874
    	   105.555	     2.472	   106.927
    	   105.555	     2.526	   106.981
    	   105.555	     1.633	   106.088
    	   105.555	     2.166	   106.621

Downloads
    Uploads

hy in attached archive is a movie that shows this program at work

... in reality is much faster, since here i had to operate with the door open and one hand holding the camera, and another on the feed potentiometer
    ... a sharp eye should see that there are no extra movements ( specific to cycles ) when frontal is cut kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

[ delivering a stable machine condition before using G22, and a proper PZ ]

hello all this thing generally occurs as default, so you dont have to worry about it; problems may appear when improper safe positions are used, or when using G22 for at least 2 times on same part, because screw ball area is changed

1) running a simple code, without touching the material :

Code:
        G29 PZ=69 (*1)
        G22 PZ=69 Z-15 G94 F100*5 D15 G91 (*1) (*2)
        G28
    i runned this code a few times, and between each run i have moved the turret :
    ... to left or to right
    ... by hand wheel or by the arrows
    ... with low or high feed
    ... in front of the chuck or far from the chuck

as it can be seen in attached image 1, the effort is not identical

2) adding movement before the G22, so to normalize the effort diagram :

Code:
        G00 X+200 Z+200 G91
            X-200 Z-190
                  Z-10
        G29 PZ=69 (*1)
        G22 PZ=69 Z-15 G94 F100*5 D15 G91 (*1) (*2)
        G28
    trials are shown in image 2 : effort is normalized now ( last 2 runs are in a different screw ball area; at run 4 i have reduced the feed from the potentiometer, checking not to hit the tailstock )

movement before G22 must exist and be repeatable, so to normalize the servos effort when G22 begins

this code :
    ... safe position
    ... rapid movement to G22_start_position
    ... G22, may not be good : if during the rapid movement only X is traveling a lot ( from X+limit towards the part ), and Z is traveling short ( this may succumb the Z servo )

so i suggest this approach :
    ... safe position
    ... rapid movement to G22_start_position.X G22_start_position.Z+10
    ... rapid movement to G22_start_position ( this line should normalize the servo )
    ... G22
    *or just control the safe position, being sure that Z servo during approaching has enough travel, to reach a normal feed

with this approach, repetability is achieved : start-up effort is stable and also the normalization effort is stable; just replace PZ=69 with a value greater with 3..5 units than the normalized effort and hit the material PZ=25..30% should deliver in most cases ... kindly !

(*1)
    PZ=69 is totally random; idea is to run a blank trial ( without touching the material ) and have an active torque limit big enough, so things will run smooth; this limit may be maximized in this stage, because servos will never reach it; after such trials, it can be lowered and material can be hit; if such trials are runned with a lower PZ, than the machine may stop without touching the material, but also very close to it, so making it hard to guess that the code is not working as it should

(*2)
    turret should always execute the full travel and raise an error at the end; this is normal, and the error says that during the travel, the desired effort limit ( PZ=... ) was not reached; this is simply solved by hitting the material without reaching the end Z

Downloads
    Uploads

hi / don't use PZ=69, but something lower, like PZ=15 - 20 - 25; 69 is too big ...

there is a comment at the bottom of the post, where i said that 69 is random yeah, you know ...

yup, match the D with the Z, more precise, when going left, Z will be negative and D = | Z |

that code, because of the G91, will start moving the turret towards left, for a travel of 15mm long, regardless of initial turret position :
    ... if there is nothing in front of the turret, the cnc will raise an error after the 15mm had been traveled
    ... if there is something in front of the turret, the cnc will continue it's movement until the effort will be PZ; after that, next block is executed

for more infos about G22 check attached file; also, pls consider initial posts; latest posts are a bit too wild : more precise there is a lot of code and things, that require time to be understood, but they perform pretty fast and versatile i don't know, just don't get lost ...

Downloads
    Uploads

hy mr wizard you are right, D does not have to match the Z, but this is how i use G22 : it simplifies the syntax, because there is no more the "L" parameter

this is the " senseless gauging " fragment of code that i use :
    Code:
        G00       Z+V7
        G29 PZ=25
        G22 PZ=25 Z-V7 F+100*5 G94 D+V7*2
        G28
    it only requires a value for the V7, that is calculated automatically; for example, if i start a setup, i put a bar in there, and i simply input these values :
    ... minimal VSZOZ
    ... how many cuts
    ... cut width
    ... Z to leave for the main program, so to adjust origin as necessary ( for example : deliver Z0, or Z<>0 when a face cut is inside the main program )

the soubroutine does all the work for example, after G22 is executed, it checks that the material is detected inside a small window arround V7-5mm; i use 5 mm, so to allow the monitoring effort to stabilize, thus it checks that a "minimal travel occurs", and raises an error otherwise

approach depends on real setup / kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

paste your G22 code, and specify your control generation : if osp200 or 300 i will quick edit it for you, so to get the Z zero

about explanations about those variables, let's postpone them : you may not need to use all those variables, so to make the G22 work so if i start explaining them, you won't move your cnc ...

this is a paragraph : it has no safe position, no T codes; can you handle it ?
    M19
    G00 Z+10
    G29 PZ=25
    G22 PZ=25 Z-10 F+100*5 G94 D+10*2
    G28
    G00 Z+2.5 M18 G91
    G90
    NOEX VSZOZ = VSZOZ + VSIOZ - 2.5

Downloads
    Uploads

G00 X25 Z10
    G29 PZ=30
    G94 G22 PZ=25 Z-10 F200 D20 ( there is 20 from +10 to -10 )
    G28
    G00 Z2.5 G91
    G90
    NOEX VSZOZ = VSZOZ + VSIOZ - 2.5

test it, and after that i will explain those variables; what means the "S" from osp300s ?

Downloads
    Uploads

hi

i don't know if only 5% is enough; check the Z axis effort when cutting air, and use PZ=air+a_bit; if you have already done this, than is cool

why do you use g50 s600 : is it a big machine ?

so far i never used detection while cutting, but only when spindle was stationary, because the materials had a very tilted face after the bandsaw ; if you detect the face by cutting, than you should be sure that you always cut enough, so to get a straight face

if you wish, pls check post 41 : it shows my code at work this is a way to begin cutting when there is no bar-feeder, and also the material is pulled to the turret instead of using a depth caliper : this is faster especially when the material is heavy and Z0 is pretty close to the chuck; if a depth caliber should be used, than the operator should sustain ( with one hand ) the entire mass of the bar which tends to fall, and with the 3rd hand it should keep the caliper into place ; using the turret makes it faster and requires less strength from the operator, especially for heavy materials; an operator which is less solicited should be more sharp about supervising the cnc; if he has worries that his muscles will atrophy, than he may bring a dumbbell to work

once i have encoutered a pretty messy situation with a bar that should deliver 2 parts : the faces were so tilted, that i had to cut only a face at a time and check; otherwise it would be impossible to get 2 parts from the material : it happens when a low quality bandsaw is there

about those system variables :
    ... VSZOZ : Z origin
    ... VSIOZ : comanded Z ( or target point if you wish ), not actual Z
    if you use
    N1 G00 Z0
    N2 G00 Z10
    N3 V1 = VSIOZ (V1 will show 10, while VSIOZ will be 10 since the moment of execution of line N2 )
    sometimes, things are not so straigth forward : during comp codes, VSIOZ may not be spot on : best practice is to test the code

one more thing : "senseless gauging" is a reserved word, created by mr Wizard, so use it carefully, like G140 ( senseless gauging © mr Wizard ); from him i know this technique

ok man

Downloads
    Uploads

hi / just a few more things :

- you used s250*f0.1=25mm/min feed during G22; real feed will be at 1/5 ratio, thus only 5mm/min; G22 reduces the feed in this way, by default; i like to program the feed at 100*5 G94, so the real feed to be 100mm/min during contact; there is a maximal feed that is allowed during G22 ( 500mm/min or 2500mm/min; i dont remember exactly, but generally you won't reach that value ); so my advice, if you wish for 0.1mm/rot, simply use G95 G22 PZ=5 Z0 D5.0 L1.0 F0.1*5; i use higher feed because spindle is stationary in my case ( i have in idea how to boost you code, but i will share it later )

- about the D : you begin at Z5 and target Z0 : this requires D5; how you also used L1.0, this may require D6 ? i don't know, so :
    ... pls check how the D is altered by L<>0, or
    ... use
    G95 G22 PZ=5 Z0 D5.0 (L1.0) F0.1*5

- about the decimal points : the okuma controller may treat 5.0 the same as 5, so using
    G95 G22 PZ=5 Z0 D5 F0.1*5 should be just fine

- about the feed position : i like to keep it at the end; the okuma controller should not treat differently "
    G95 G22 PZ=5 Z0 D5 F0.1*5 " and " G22 PZ=5 Z0 D5 F0.1*5 G95 ", so if you puted G95 right at the begining , considering that it must precced the G22, than you shoud not worry; better test this, to be sure ( some controlers<>okuma care about feed position )

- about travel from Z5 to Z0 L1, thus from Z5 to Z-1 : this window may be to small : during it, the Z axis has to accelerate and avoid initial effort peek, and also decelerate near the end; this may create problems with higher feeds, because real zone where the effort will be stabilized will be -1<zone<5; the "zone" reduces as the feed increases, so i recomend you "
    G22 PZ=5 Z-10 D15 F0.1*5 G95 " in this way, you should be sure that during contact, you are away from the acceleration/deceleration zone; pls be aware that there are warnings about a " minimal 2.5mm clearance " to be used when load monitoring is involved, and more precise, " 5mm clearance is recomended"; so the contact should occure after at least 5mm from the position where G22 begins, and also, G22 should have at least 2.5mm after the contact point; so if you consider that the material will be anywhere between Z-2 and Z+3, use "G00 Z+3+5"+"G22 Z-2-2.5... "is it ok ? did i explained it well ?

i hope you find these usefull kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    i have in idea how to boost you code, but i will share it later
    to use G22 with higher feed, like 100mm/min, and keep the spindle stationary, than pls consider touching not with the "cutting edge", but with the "turret frontal"

i guess your turret frontal is big enough to handle the X400 coordinate

particular case example : if your material is X500 and turret can only reach X350, than simply shift your detected Z with a bit more; between X350detected and X500material, should be a little difference=d caused by the tilted bandsaw, so modify the Zorigin delivered by G22 with d

idea behind all these is to have a G22 travel as minimal as possbile, executed as fast as possible

if you just started using G22, than also try to implement this; trials will lead to a bit of downtime, but for the future, the code will remain unchanged

if your material is very tilted, than 1st few face cuts should not stop at X0, but at X200, so not to cut air

i have seen over the internet an example with a big lathe with live tools, that was getting the face done by circular milling : i guess this is faster than turning, and less air cut is there

i hope you find it usefull and i hope i explain things well / kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

hello guys & girls an update will be soon shared in this thread, about facing & zeroing ( without G22 )

fast & smooth, few keystrokes, versatile : easy adaptable to different diameters and bar lengths

something like " not know what hit you " , or " what happened " / so smooth you don't know is there

all-inclusive / kindly

ps : i have to prepare the video ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast