Need Help! Okuma Cadet OSP700L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okuma Cadet OSP700L

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Cadet OSP700L

Hello, due to a backup battery failure, we had to reload the whole system on a LNC8 Okuma Cadet lathe with the OSP700L controller. We were able to install the 12 disks into the machine's memory but it seems to be missing some functions. It alarms out for instance, because of the lubrication times, in the related lubricating time screen all parameters are just zeroed. If we enter random values there we can get rid off that alarm, but that is just an example. Another issue we noticed is that if we try to move any axis the machine will alarm saying the tool setter arm is down, when it's not. The tool turret will alarm after a tool change request, saying the tool number is not right, and so on. I know these are not actual machine problems, cause it was working fine before the batteries went dead.

We have the A.TOP parameter backup file in disk and in text file, we couldn't install this file from the floppy drive, it just reads files in ISO format, not the A.TOP which we know is there, in the disk. We were able to transfer that file from the PC via RS-232, unfortunately the machine keeps missing the functions mentioned before and can not work.

Questions are: Do we need to have any other disk, besides the 12 we already installed? Exactly how are we supposed to restore the parameter file (A.TOP) contained in the extra floppy?

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Cadet OSP700L

Are you using DATA.PIP to re-install the A.TOP ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, we have tried both option softkeys, PIP alone and DATA PIP.

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't make since, if you have a A.TOP file, it had to have been out put through DATA.PIP. Should just be >datapip>read FD0: A.TOP.write

Downloads
    Uploads

1. check your serial connection. transfer large (~4kB, 8kB) file forward- back and check, if there are no mismatches. The RS232 could be arranged wrongly and it doesn't shows up.
    2. check your A.TOP file. You can see where what parameter is located in the file. You can check if there are zeros in a TOP file
    3. You can set parameters manually reading from printed A.TOP file. Lame
    4. And yes, to set parameters from TOP file you need DATA PIP.

Downloads
    Uploads

How do I read or print the A.TOP file inside the floppy disk? If I try to see its contents with a regular computer it just shows "The disk has no format, do you wish to format it now?" Of course I answer no.

The floppy disk was "Okuma formatted" using the information contained in this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...s-osp700l.html

I believe the floppy disk has the A.TOP file in a format the machine can't see, because if I ask for a directory of the disk using the DOS softkey in the screen, it perfectly shows the A.TOP file name.

Thank you all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try at least loading the a.top from the factory disk sets?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have installed the whole 12 disk package 3 or 4 times now with the same results. I start with disk #1 and when it's done the screen shows "please insert next disk" and so on, but when disk #12 finishes it again says "please insert next disk", as if an extra disk was needed. So once I tried using my A.TOP disk as disk #13, but the system rejected it.

Anyway, after disk #12 is done I just cycle power off/on and the machine powers up ok, no system alarms, only machine alarms.

After reading your last reply I took a look at all the 12 disks' labels and no one mentions the A.TOP file, they mention another files tho. And disks #11 and #12 mention they are "plc custom floppy 1 and 2"Okuma Cadet OSP700L-osp-12-disks-jpg.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okuma has three types of backup. the parameter backup volume does not contains any *.TOP file, I think. it is other structure and no need to read the disk on PC and try to edit something on it. You just start the control in installation mode (by switch in the rack) and maintenance menu appears. You don't need an installation in order to restore parameters. Take backup or restore, what works for you. The backup floppy is intended to use that way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Huh? You don't use the system switch to load the a.top. you use data.pip. this can only be done once the control is booted up.

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't use the system switch to load the a.top
    sure. this disk:
    The floppy disk was "Okuma formatted" using the information contained in this thread:
    Backing Up Parameters? (OSP700L)
    does not contains a *.top file. There is a parameter backup in other format.
    every Okuma control comes with system backup, made by means of system switch (installation / maintenance mode). There is no TOP file involved.

Downloads
    Uploads

Attached is the backup file I have saved in a laptop computer, remember that this file was generated when the machine was ok, via RS-232, it is in text format.

If I print it, do you think it could help in entering the missing values in the controller via its own keyboard?

How do I know what parameters belong where?

Thank you all.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Put the A. TOP file into the MD1: directory from the floppy.

PIP>COPY FD0:A.TOP,MD1: WRITE

Use edit mode to view file contents if needed.
    Use DATA PIP >INPUT MD1:A.TOP WRITE to put into memory. The description of this file is in the back of your operation manual.

If the machine still has alarms after reboot, your TOP file may not be current at which point missing values will need to be input manually. Most can be found on your Management Data card in the back of your machine.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes sure, the best way is to read the file into control via floppy. I inspected your file briefly. There are indications, that file is good. A big areas filed by 0 values are valid, most likely. There are line numbers (not necessary), and they go in the row, no one is missing: that's good. Spaces (and special characters, most likely) are missing (because of communication settings, most likely) so you need some advice to understand the structure of the file.
    the structure looks good.
    Lines are numbered in the group. Group number starts the section.
    T1N1X43.327Z0.902
    the very first line is the start of "T1" section which is related to tool settings, 32 lines in total."T2" is the next section. after the section "T10" section "O1" starts. It looks like "Offset" section; two lines. "P3" section, 19 lines, "P2" section, 32 lines and "P1" section, 12 lines follows.
    Hope, the reading of the file is clear now.
    Relation between text and control parameters is described in the manual of the machine. You don't have the manual, right?
    Some are easy to guess analyzing the parameter's number in the section. The grouping is regular, easy to discover the relation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried the suggested trick of PIP>COPY FD0:A.TOP, MD1: WRITE but had no luck, the machine asked if I wanted to overwrite the file, I sad YES, then I cycled power off/on and the machine stayed just as before.

The only way to see the A.TOP (title) in the screen is doing this: EDIT/AUX > PIP > READ > INDEX > (here the machine adds ISO) > then I enter FD0:*.* > WRITE and the screen shows INDEX SELECTION FD0: A.TOP

I also went to the process of comparing files between my PC printed parameter list versus the machine screens, all the printed ones are into the machine, but not vice versa, that is, not all the parameters that I see on the machine screen appear on my printed list.

I don't have any manuals for this machine at all, but I do have a complete set of PDF files for the Okuma ESL6 model which is different, in case somebody needs them. And If some of you has and would like to share the manuals for the LNC8 it will be greatly appreciated. If it somehow helps, I took some pictures of the screens where I think I need to put some parameter values.

Thank you all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Okuma Cadet OSP700L-1-jpg   Okuma Cadet OSP700L-2-jpg   Okuma Cadet OSP700L-3-jpg   Okuma Cadet OSP700L-4-jpg  

Okuma Cadet OSP700L-5-jpg   Okuma Cadet OSP700L-6-jpg   Okuma Cadet OSP700L-7-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok you missed a step. You installed the TOP file into program memory , but you have not read the parameters into the registers. What you need to do is DATA PIP>INPUT MD1:A.TOP WRITE. This will install the parameters from MD1: into the parameter registers.

If you want to edit the top file, from edit mode push EDIT then type *.* and all files will be listed instead of the default .MIN files.

Once installed you may get "power on effective parameter" alarm. Press the backup key or wait 3 minutes and cycle power to the control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the long delay, I've been trying your last suggestion as well as other possibilities, no luck so far. After I did DATA PIP > INPUT MD1:A.TOP > WRITE > Parameter backup > Cycle power OFF/ON nothing happened, and yes the A.TOP file is inside the machine's memory, but it keeps acting the same, it can not work. I guess what really happened here is that my original A.TOP backup file wasn't created as needed, so when I try to install it back with either RS-232 or floppy disk, it gets transferred but since it's not complete, the machine is missing vital information.

Somebody found 2 older disks for this machine, hand-labeled SYS1 and USER, I tried using them but again couldn't. USER disk appears to have only a part program, but SYS1 has several files inside, which can be seen in the attached picture. The question is, are these files part of another previous backup? And if so, how can I use them with the machine? I already copied and entered some of them into the memory with the COPY to MD1 as well as the INPUT functions but that doesn't seem to make any effect. Please see attached.

Thank you all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Okuma Cadet OSP700L-dscf4424-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

DATA PIP > INPUT MD1:A.TOP > WRITE > is a proper procedure to activate the *.TOP file. Since You didn't changed file name, you can't be sure if You operate with the proper file. The "A.TOP" is an automatic name. The file could be overwritten by mistake.
    And next. What is wrong with the control, when machine starts? Maybe there is a way to fix it based on present situation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Algirdas, the machine shows several issues which I described before, it is not in a normal state, it can´t work with those issues, all because it doesn't have the appropriate parameters. One of the things I need is a parameter description for the OSP700L. Somewhere else I found the A.TOP file for another different machine but still using the OSP700L controller. Comparing my A.TOP against that one, mine is way shorter.

As I also mentioned before, it is my believe that my file was wrongly generated as a backup when the machine was working well. I could try adding the missing parameters based on the other machine's file, but I need a parameter description to at least know what I'm doing.

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

check with Your Data Management Card if You have full set of installation volumes and if the set belongs to this machine. You need original settings and parameters at least. Maybe You can indentify which disk is missing.
    The full parameter and settings description is not available for clients nor for Okuma dealer.
    It's really strange, that OSP700 lost that kind of settings because of backup battery fault. I guess, the problem could be the wrong re-installation - wrong set of installation volumes, taken from another machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast