OKUMA LB3000 CRASH

Thread: OKUMA LB3000 CRASH

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OKUMA LB3000 CRASH

I crashed my Okuma LB3000. Tool came down in the X axis and hit the tailstock and now the tool center height is off. Any advice on realigning the turret? Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OKUMA LB3000 CRASH

I'm sure if you look in the maintenance manual and/or the parts manual it will show the details on how the turret comes off.
    not worked on a LB3000 turret but it should be similar to every other cnc lathe turret. on the face of the turret there will be bolts, or maybe under the tool number ring. support the turret with a crane and remove those bolts and the turret will come off. behind the turret is one piece of the curvic coupling (check attached pic). it is held on by several bolts and positioned with tapered dowels. the dowels should not be in the holes so that when there is a crash the turret can move without too much damage. so remove the bolts and that ring will come off. the other meshing piece of the curvic coupling is fixed to the inside of the turret body, also with several bolts and also positioned with tapered dowels. remove that ring as well. then clean it all up and re-mount the curvic coupling rings using the correct type of dowels. tighten the bolts to the specified torque then remove the dowels using a slide hammer. put the turret back into the machine and that should be it. using a dial indicator check a turning tool pocket to make sure it is parallel to the X slide. If it is mis-aligned you will need to loosen the bolts holding the turret to the curvic coupling inside the turret and gently tap the turret and re-test the alignment until the dial indicator does not move when the turret body is moved in the X axis. I'm sure there is a procedure here saying something similar. Usually it's not a difficult job.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OKUMA LB3000 CRASH-curvic-coupling-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OKUMA LB3000 CRASH-img_1467-jpg

I run a LB4000 EX Assuming your turret is very much like mine you may get lucky and not have to tear it all the way down. First take all of the tools off. Then remove the coolant manifold. (the black part with the numbers on it) Remove the 12 plugs the coolant manifold was partially blocking. In the holes with be 10 SHCS that keep the turret in position (two of the holes won't have a screw in them.) Loosen these, and then tighten them finger tight. The tool position that is just on your side of the top of the turret should be parallel with the X axis (pocket 4 in the above picture). Put an indicator on it, see how far out you are. Then using a soft face hammer, knock the turret back into place. It should be with in .0002". Hopefully thats all you will need to do, but the turret could have been knocked out of center too. To test for that, right a program retracts all the way in X and then move to some point you can read with an indicator. (put an M00 there) then retracts back away. Use this program to check every pocket, if you see more than .0004" total difference you will have more work to do. Hopefully you don't have to break it all the way down, it sucks.

I just got done helping a service tech tear mine all they way down for crash (so hard it ripped the jaws out of the chuck) damage that happened a few months before I started running it full time. Don't know if you have live tooling, or how much easier it would be without it, but it took the better part of a week to get all the way to the inner curvic, change the pins that line it up, and put it all back together. They were bent so badly I don't know how they didn't sheer.

OKUMA LB3000 CRASH-img_1466-jpg

Last edited by iMillJoe; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You got lucky. Every okuma I've seen crashed hard enough to take jaws off broke the crosslide.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well that could have happened, and I just haven't found out yet. The X axis seems a little sticky, but I haven't seen any evidence of a crack.

Downloads
    Uploads

Remove the lower wiper and take a look. They break in the corners.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So the Okuma tech was in on monday and realigned my machine. Y axis was tilted and turret was tilted, no rotational adustment required, a parameter adjustment to tell the machine where the X axis zero is. A few hours and I was back running. Thanks to all that replied. Based on the info posted and what I observed from the okuma tech I have a very good idea of how to realign if I have an accident again.