Just In Moving the Torus Pro into a new shop!

Thread: Moving the Torus Pro into a new shop!

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Moving the Torus Pro into a new shop!

Morning all,

When my Torus Pro was delivered in August of 2013, I didn't know when the next time I would be moving it and at that time, I did not care! Well, that time has come now. It has been quite a process not only working on my new shop but removing everything so that I can finally move the Torus Pro.

Novakon did a custom wiring job for me and extended all the cables 6' so that I can mount the electrical cabinet on my wall. Well, I got that beast all unplugged last night and separated from the machine. All I have left is the mechanical structure of the machine components and I am ready for the move.

Unfortunately, when I initially installed the machined, I had to lift the base with one (1) 2x4 and one (1) 4x4 (both sides of the base) which were bolted to the concrete floor. I did this because my engine hoist would not slide under the base with just the leveling feet. So, it was lifted almost six inches and stayed that way throughout the four (4) years. I do not want the same problem.

In my new location, I have much more room but I don't think it will be any different if I cannot get the engine hoist under the base. The only way I see this happening is if I lift the base with a pallet jack, slide the engine hoist under, remove engine hoist and lower the base/mill with the pallet jack.

It's a rare opportunity to be at this stage and there are a number of modifications I have been wanting to do. Now is the time to do them, from new paint, maintenance, replacement of bolts ( thread engagement issues )etc...Heck I might take everything apart and put the machine back together piece by piece.

Perhaps I'll need to be more patient and creative. Looking for input

Regards all,

-Jason

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Moving the Torus Pro into a new shop!

You can quickly and easily raise the whole machine by yourself using nothing but a crow bar and wood blocks. My first machine was a knee mill that weighed 2X what the Torus Pro does. I raised it up using stacks of 3/4" plywood cut into 6"x6" squares. Lift one corner enough to get one piece of plywood under the foot, then do the same for the other 3 corners. Keep adding one piece of plywood at a time under each leg until you get to the height you need. It's quick, easy and, most importantly, safe.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

instead of using blocks the full thickness...ie 4x4....if you use a stack of 1/2" or 1" blocks, you can step it down. You'll set it down on a 4" stack under each foot, pull the hoist out. Then you can use a lever.....I used a low profile floor jack for a car......lift one side up slightly, pull on thickness of blocks. It will lean the machine a bit, but not too badly if you use 1/2" thick squares of plywood. Lift the opposite side enough to pull out two sets of blocks....one thickness takes it back to level, the second leans it the opposite way the same amount. Just keep going back and forth. Really doesn't take long and you can use a 6' 2x4 and a friend if you don't have the floor jack. I personally use another set of the same blocks with a 3' crowbar.

- - - Updated - - -

Doh!! Ray beat me!! lol

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

One of those $80 (when on sale) HF racing jacks should get low enough under the Torus cabinet to lift a corner or side up high enough to stick 2x6 blocks under the corners, a layer at a time. I did this on my Tormach mill and lathe to get them positioned initially and again when I put Foot Smart casters on each corner to make it easier to move the machines around for maintenance and such. The Foot Smart casters make it easy to crudely level the machines and can be retracted so that rubber feet on each caster sit solidly on the floor so that the machine can't moved around.

https://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER-GD.../dp/B00I2JHAR2

The above are rated at 1100-lbs each and it is recommended that they be purchased in a capacity such that 2 of them can support the full machine weight, so these would be suitable for a 2200-lb or less mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

The funny thing is that I just bought and picked up a Bridgeport 3 weeks ago. I had a flatbed, with a liftgate and use 6' steel bar and pipes to get it both ways on the 26' flatbed and positioned into my shop. But for some reason, I am either overthinking my Torus move or I am just tired of moving things! For the Torus though, I am not using a flatbed so it will be something more economical in terms of transportation.

When I lifted the machine when it was delivered (Torus) I used the engine hoist and set 4x4 under it for security until it was the full the height of the base.

I have been thinking about getting castors because I plan on rebuilding the machine in my new shop and would like to move it around more. Would these be just as good, I prefer to use the pre-drilled hole in the base already instead of drilling 4 holes? https://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER-GD...MNFK4J422KWD63

Downloads
    Uploads

I moved my machine around the current shop with a pallet jack. It works ok. Is there a second floor above the mill? To get my mill onto the stand I drilled a hole in the second floor of the shop. I then put an eye bolt through the hole. I used a 2x10 to spread out the load. I used a chain hoist connected to eye bolt to raise the machine. The upper floor deflected a lot so I got the lift done as quick as possible I would not recommend letting the weight hang for any length of time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I moved my machine around the current shop with a pallet jack. It works ok. Is there a second floor above the mill? To get my mill onto the stand I drilled a hole in the second floor of the shop. I then put an eye bolt through the hole. I used a 2x10 to spread out the load. I used a chain hoist connected to eye bolt to raise the machine. The upper floor deflected a lot so I got the lift done as quick as possible I would not recommend letting the weight hang for any length of time.
    I was thinking about doing something like that, but I did remove the "2nd" floor, AKA the storage loft. I took it down while I was re-doing the inside.

I'm going in today with an engine hoist to move my machine off the base. I got it up there once, I'll get it down. I'll be much more relieved when I have it in mu new shop where I have much more room to work around.

One of the big things I do not want to do in the new space is not having easy access to the back of the mill. But that comes down to location in my new shop and I have to plan that. I will be painting the stand again (at least the chip tray and stand tray as the paint is chipping real bad) to prevent the rusting that is occurring.

We shall see!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSHATCH View Post
    I have been thinking about getting castors because I plan on rebuilding the machine in my new shop and would like to move it around more. Would these be just as good, I prefer to use the pre-drilled hole in the base already instead of drilling 4 holes? https://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER-GD...MNFK4J422KWD63
    I have the ratchet type on my mill and the star type on my lathe - the ratchet type is much easier to use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Moved everything last weekend! The Engine Hoist was a success, the shop is a mess right now but looking forward to posting up some pics.

Regards,

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

It has been a great start to 2018. I thought I would share with you the lifting of my Torus PRO. What has me very excited is that my machine now no longer sits on 1 4x4 + 1 2x4. When I first got the machine, I raised the based so that the Engine Hoist could slide back far enough, I was determined not to have this setup again and will be working with the machine roughly six inches lower this time around.