Man it's nice to have your own CNC

Thread: Man it's nice to have your own CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Man it's nice to have your own CNC

Especially for those emergency situations...

Got home from my mountain bike ride Sunday. Put my truck in park, got out and it starts rolling backwards WTH?. Well, a small plastic bushing that connects the shift linkage to the shifter broke, so the transmission never went into "park". The dealer won't sell the 25 cent plastic bushing, but will sell the entire cable unit for $200.00. Had some Delrin stock, so 2 hours later, back on the road.

Man it's nice to have your own CNC-nissan-jpg

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Man it's nice to have your own CNC

It is indeed pretty nice to have. I find often I don't want to deal with the design cycle to make a custom inexpensive part rather than adapt what's out there but this is one of those perfect moments when it pays to have the option.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! Love seeing stuff like this being done.

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

That's exactly why I bought one and started learning my way around. When no one makes parts for your 25 year old bike you have to get resourceful. Nicely done.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job, although I'd bet you could have made it on manual machines faster.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Especially for those emergency situations...

Got home from my mountain bike ride Sunday. Put my truck in park, got out and it starts rolling backwards WTH?. Well, a small plastic bushing that connects the shift linkage to the shifter broke, so the transmission never went into "park". The dealer won't sell the 25 cent plastic bushing, but will sell the entire cable unit for $200.00. Had some Delrin stock, so 2 hours later, back on the road.

As they say, it looks "factory" to me, good job!

My latest thing was a water meter access lid socket, 5 sided polygon, was a real challenge to measure the size, but not to difficult to make.
    Another project was making different sized hex key wrenches out of some that I have had for almost 50 years that were mainly useless sizes but I couldnt throw them away.

For me there is nothing more satisfying than taking a piece of scrap material and making something new and useful from it..............

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, One of my favorites was when I needed a spanner wrench for the removal of my lathe chuck. I worked up one in CAD and milled it out of some spare AL plate and then pressed in a dowel pin. Works beautifully to this day and fits the chuck profile perfectly, so no slipping. I had it made before I could have gone to the store the next morning to buy one. That was fun.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    Nice job, although I'd bet you could have made it on manual machines faster.
    I can live with a 90 second cycle time :-).
    Reverse engineering the cable yoke took most the time as I couldn't use the old bushing to reverse engineer. It was many pieces in a dark hole. The challenging part was getting my calipers under the shifter to take dimensions.