PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    No just comment those out - you can always come back to them once you get things running.
    Honestly I'm not quite sure why any of this would have had to have been done. I am on 1.9.12 and didnt have to comment any of that out of the post hal file.

Scott...

Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Hey Scott;
    I saw your post where you mentioned that you are using the shina tool setter. Would it be possible to give me the wiring details on that device? I currently have a drawbar setup very similar to the Novakon design which uses the 2 wire normally closed contact interface for the probe. I see that the Shina has a 24 volt power requirement recommended in their chingrese instructions and other features (overtravel) that seem useful.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Bill

Last edited by bill south; 02-22-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: correction
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Scott;
    I saw your post where you mentioned that you are using the shina tool setter. Would it be possible to give me the wiring details on that device? I currently have a drawbar setup very similar to the Novakon design which uses the 2 wire normally open contact interface for the probe. I see that the Shina has a 24 volt power requirement recommended in their chingrese instructions and other features (overtravel) that seem useful.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Bill
    I am using the Torus Pro auto draw bar which has a 3.5mm female on the console to plug in the tool setter. Not sure where its wires terminate on the BoB if you do not have this same drawbar.

The 3.5mm female uses 5V to detect the switch, the device calls for 24v to trip the IR led but the 5V available on the female jack is working fine. I hooked this to the led wires, and you get a faint glow when the tool setter is depressed. If you look at the schematic for the tool setter you will see that the LED wires are on Grey and Red. The IR switch are on orange and brown. I tied Grey / Orange together and soldered to the "Tip" of a 3.5mm stereo jack. I tied Red / Brown together and connected to the "Sleve".

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought the torus pro demo machine from John and so far I like the machine. I would like to upgrade the software either from mach3 to Mach4 or just try and install PathPilot. Is the procedure for upgrading to PP very easy or should I just be happy with mach3? I believe my torus has the smooth stepper installed but not sure as to the age of the BOB version. I have the PDB and VFD spindle. Very new to this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Davez64 View Post
    I bought the torus pro demo machine from John and so far I like the machine. I would like to upgrade the software either from mach3 to Mach4 or just try and install PathPilot. Is the procedure for upgrading to PP very easy or should I just be happy with mach3? I believe my torus has the smooth stepper installed but not sure as to the age of the BOB version. I have the PDB and VFD spindle. Very new to this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave Z

Personally I really like PathPilot. A lot more stable than Mach3 on my machine. The complexity of upgrading to PathPilot is proportional to your ability to swap out Hardware in the electronics enclosure (unhook ESS and replace with another entirely different MESA board) and your ability to navigate Unix commands to move files around and edit others. There are a few threads here that will walk you through the conversion.

If I were starting a new machine today it would not use Mach3. Seems like there is some movement by Novakon to provide an upgrade path to get you out of Mach3 into another piece of software / hardware. I know that Ray is pretty excited about this upgrade, I do not have experience with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    Personally I really like PathPilot. A lot more stable than Mach3 on my machine. The complexity of upgrading to PathPilot is proportional to your ability to swap out Hardware in the electronics enclosure (unhook ESS and replace with another entirely different MESA board) and your ability to navigate Unix commands to move files around and edit others. There are a few threads here that will walk you through the conversion.

If I were starting a new machine today it would not use Mach3. Seems like there is some movement by Novakon to provide an upgrade path to get you out of Mach3 into another piece of software / hardware. I know that Ray is pretty excited about this upgrade, I do not have experience with it.
    I use to be very familiar with working inside a pc. Not too much anymore. Technology that I don’t keep up with. As far a Unix goes, it has been decades since I have run that system. I could probably do the upgrade if I had help here and there along the way. Is it true tho that if I save all the old hardware and ssd drive that if all else fails, I can revert back to the original config?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use to be very familiar with working inside a pc. Not too much anymore. Technology that I don’t keep up with. As far a Unix goes, it has been decades since I have run that system. I could probably do the upgrade if I had help here and there along the way. Is it true tho that if I save all the old hardware and ssd drive that if all else fails, I can revert back to the original config?

Thats exactly what I did when I upgraded to PathPilot. I bought a new SSD and took the old one out with Mach3 on it and put it in a drawer so that I could go back if everything fell apart. Never had to do that, but it is a safe backup option!

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats exactly what I did when I upgraded to PathPilot. I bought a new SSD and took the old one out with Mach3 on it and put it in a drawer so that I could go back if everything fell apart. Never had to do that, but it is a safe backup option!

Scott...
    Hey Scott,
    How did you install from the PP cd to the Novakon motherboard. Did you buy an external dvd drive and use a usb cable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dave,

If you're interested in going this route, I actually have a kit I can sell you that includes pretty much everything you'd need to get PP going (PP software, MESA card, a few cables. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I was going to go this route but have decided to wait for Novakon to decide on new control software. You would need an external dvd drive to load the software I think.

Micah

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Hey Dave,

If you're interested in going this route, I actually have a kit I can sell you that includes pretty much everything you'd need to get PP going (PP software, MESA card, a few cables. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I was going to go this route but have decided to wait for Novakon to decide on new control software. You would need an external dvd drive to load the software I think.

Micah
    I have a pci express 2.0 slot. Does that work with your Mesa board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave,

I don't want to hijack the thread, so could you PM me if you have any other questions? Here's a link to the Panjo listing for my parts.

https://www.panjo.com/buy/pathpilot-...shuttle-376016

The card I have is a Mesa 6I25 for PCIE. I think it should work for you. If you had any unresolvable issues, I'd be happy to refund everything sans shipping. I just don't want this stuff gathering dust on my shelf.

Micah

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you can burn the PathPilot cd image directly onto a usb drive using etcher on a seperate PC. This would save the need for another dvd drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Scott,
    How did you install from the PP cd to the Novakon motherboard. Did you buy an external dvd drive and use a usb cable?

I did as Steve303 mentions, I created a USB memory card image.

When I just want to do things quickly with a DVD, I also have a spare external DVD with a USB interface. Makes it easy to use DVDs on machines where I dont need a permanent DVD reader.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

I did as Steve303 mentions, I created a USB memory card image.

When I just want to do things quickly with a DVD, I also have a spare external DVD with a USB interface. Makes it easy to use DVDs on machines where I dont need a permanent DVD reader.

Scott...
    Ok, that is what I thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Hi Dave,

I don't want to hijack the thread, so could you PM me if you have any other questions? Here's a link to the Panjo listing for my parts.

https://www.panjo.com/buy/pathpilot-...shuttle-376016

The card I have is a Mesa 6I25 for PCIE. I think it should work for you. If you had any unresolvable issues, I'd be happy to refund everything sans shipping. I just don't want this stuff gathering dust on my shelf.

Micah
    Micah, my PM settings will not allow me to send you one. Have to switch to PC to change settings I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I was unable to send you a PM. It said you had blocked PMs or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I upgrade a mach3 controlled torus pro to Mach4? Would such an upgrade be beneficial or not worth the effort? I Hate Mach3!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234