Warm Up Question

Thread: Warm Up Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Warm Up Question

I use my Pulsar almost everyday, but sporadically. When I start it up I run the warm up program, then mill for 20 minutes or so then go do something else for a few hours. Then come back and mill another part, again for for 15-20 minutes then off to do something else for a few hours. I rarely re-run the warm up program after the first start of the day. Wondering if I should run the warm up program before each milling or not bother. Do most guys even run a warm up program before milling, is it necessary? My shop is usually between 50-60 F in the winter and 65-75 F in the summer if that even matters,

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Warm Up Question

Personally, I can't see any point whatsoever to doing "warm up" on this kind of machine, and I run mine year-round from 20F-110F. Seems like a complete waste of time and electricity. Warm up is done on high-performance commercial machines mostly to get the screws up to temperature, as the thermal expansion can significantly affect affect the machines physical dimensions. These machines do not run fast enough for that to be a concern.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't do a warm up on the Pulsar.
    The Haas is only 6000 RPM spindle and it doesn't need warming up every day. If you crank it up and it hasn't run in the past 4 days, it will suggest that you run the warm up.
    I think the warm up should really only be done in either extreme cold or high RPM spindles. Anything 10,000 RPM or above.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. I assumed no warm up was needed as it is not mentioned in the manual, but have seen a number of youtubers who run warm up programs on their Tormachs.

Steve