Whats the latest on control software?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the latest on control software?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Whats the latest on control software?

So with Mach3 effectively dead, no apparent Novakon support in Mach4, and what seems to be a reasonably difficult conversion to PathPilot what are we going to do for CNC control?

John, what is your plan to give us a modern CNC control software solution?

Scott...

Similar Threads:
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Whats the latest on control software?

There is always DC CNC. Free for the time being, at least until the beta testing is completed.

Downloads
    Uploads

PathPilot is actually not that difficult to install and configure. In summary you install the mesa card, install PathPilot, then copy a few config files to their appropriate directories. If you do run into any difficulties you can ask here for help.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of Mach3 users are moving to UCCNC.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

For the simplest "plug-and-play" solution, probably UCCNC with a UC100 or UC300 is the best solution. For functionality, PathPilot seems hard to beat, and not terribly difficult to setup. There are also quite a few lesser-known options, including complete, dedicated controllers (non-PC-based), albeit for a bit more money (generally $500 and up).

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the reason PP might seem difficult is the use of UNIX as the platform.

Downloads
    Uploads

Generally speaking, we are pressing forward with the Mach3 Mach Standard Mill (MSM) as the default starting package. MSM has some very nice features we want to retain features such as the Mill Turn feature. The documentation is excellent and it is still being updated as necessary. In combination with the Smooth Stepper (ESS), it has been working well. New mills will be loaded with this controller software very soon. The Torus PRO ATC has been integrated into this controller package and it is inexpensive.

Mach4 will does work with our mills and it can be purchased from Artsoft at any time. We don't sell the package directly.

Path Pilot has been used by several customers and seems to work well and fairly easy to install. We may look further at this in time, but it has obvious implications for us.

We are also looking at the UC300 also, but this is a relatively new product and we will evaluate it more in time.

We have looked at some commercial grade controllers, but they do become expensive...

Many options exist and interest seems to vary based on preference and personal experience. If your running Mach3, try MSM. The option is inexpensive and it has a very nice tool library and documentation. Mill Turn is why we are staying with this as a default with Mach3. We will be bringing in more spindle chucks soon to our web store. the spindle chucks have been ordered and you will see them soon.

Mike has provided some nice examples (Thanks Mike) of the Mill Turn in this link.

Please review and subscribe to our channel.

Regards,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    ... We will be bringing in more spindle chucks soon to our web store. the spindle chucks have been ordered and you will see them soon.

Mike has provided some nice examples (Thanks Mike) of the Mill Turn in this link.

Regards,
    John
    Looking forward to seeing mill turn related items in your store John. Mike has some great mill turn content on his youtube channel.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Generally speaking, we are pressing forward with the Mach3 Mach Standard Mill (MSM) as the default starting package. MSM has some very nice features we want to retain features such as the Mill Turn feature. The documentation is excellent and it is still being updated as necessary. In combination with the Smooth Stepper (ESS), it has been working well. New mills will be loaded with this controller software very soon. The Torus PRO ATC has been integrated into this controller package and it is inexpensive.

Mach4 will does work with our mills and it can be purchased from Artsoft at any time. We don't sell the package directly.

Path Pilot has been used by several customers and seems to work well and fairly easy to install. We may look further at this in time, but it has obvious implications for us.

We are also looking at the UC300 also, but this is a relatively new product and we will evaluate it more in time.

We have looked at some commercial grade controllers, but they do become expensive...

Many options exist and interest seems to vary based on preference and personal experience. If your running Mach3, try MSM. The option is inexpensive and it has a very nice tool library and documentation. Mill Turn is why we are staying with this as a default with Mach3. We will be bringing in more spindle chucks soon to our web store. the spindle chucks have been ordered and you will see them soon.

Regards,
    John
    MSM is an addon for control software that hasnt been updated in over 6 years. Every time I fire up my mill I'm affraid to hold the the arrow key for to long because the machine runs away and crashes into the stops. I try to debug why lines of code cause the program to pause and cant for the life of me understand why. I love my mill, but I dont have time or patience for software that I have to worry about. Seems like there should be serious effort to move to a Novakon santioned software control we can get updates for.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

In the interim, Path Pilot is pretty painless, though cannot be sanctioned by Novakon at this time. It actually controls the hardware much better than Mach 3.
    If I didn't have Path Pilot on my Pulsar already, I would certainly be looking for something else.
    There were glitches in Mach 3 sometimes. Though few, could cost and were senseless. Non repeatable glitches. That points to stability issues between the controller and the hardware.

I don't want to tell John what to do, but I would certainly be looking for something else. I would be willing to add the cost of better controllers to the initial cost of the mill.
    In fact my new machine came with a Haas controller.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    In the interim, Path Pilot is pretty painless, though cannot be sanctioned by Novakon at this time. It actually controls the hardware much better than Mach 3.
    If I didn't have Path Pilot on my Pulsar already, I would certainly be looking for something else.
    There were glitches in Mach 3 sometimes. Though few, could cost and were senseless. Non repeatable glitches. That points to stability issues between the controller and the hardware.

I don't want to tell John what to do, but I would certainly be looking for something else. I would be willing to add the cost of better controllers to the initial cost of the mill.
    In fact my new machine came with a Haas controller.
    Thanks Lee!

So if I might ask a few questions... (Thanks in advance for the assistance)

1) there is this older link that was posted some time back PathPilot on Non-Tormach Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia Is this still the latest source of info?
    2) Is the Mesa 5i25 still the right choice for the motion control?
    3) Whats the process to install or replace what I have with the 5i25? I have one of the newer Novakon Bobs (arduino main cpu) with Ethernet Smooth Stepper.
    4) Does anyone have a set of standard configs for the Novakon, or at least a set they would share?
    5) The link above indicates you need to order a PathPilot DVD that is only available to people that own a Tormach. How do you get the DVD?

Thanks,
    Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the thread I used.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...8-tormach.html

I think the Tormach disc is available for maybe $110.00 last I heard. I just plugged in the Mesa card. Bypassed the ESS. As in disconnected. Then installed the files into Path Pilot folders as described by Brian in that thread.
    Those files are for the Pulsar stepper version. Some changes may need to be made for the servo version or the Torus Pro.
    The model number on the Mesa card will depend on what type of slot you have open on the mother board.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

So with Mach3 effectively dead,
    However, there are probably >10,000 users of Mach3 who don't know about this yet. They just keep working.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't forget about linuxcnc.. It is what Pathpilot was based on. Constantly being updated and improved. Free and also works with mesa hardware.

Talk a look at nativecam also. It looks pretty powerful.

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/40-subrou...atures-renamed - watch the videos.

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Sagreen -

I am the one who started that Wikia page and yes it's still pretty current I believe.

I use PP on my Pulsar and absolutely love it! It's easier to use by far than my industrial controller on my lathe (siemens 808d)

If you have a PCIe slot u need the mesa 6i25, if you have regular PCI slot order the 5i25.

The ESS card you can just leave in the system.

I would disconnect the old hard drive, and leave it in there, and install PP on a new drive so its easy to go back if u have to.

If you have ?? I and others are here to help.

B

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Sagreen -

I am the one who started that Wikia page and yes it's still pretty current I believe.

I use PP on my Pulsar and absolutely love it! It's easier to use by far than my industrial controller on my lathe (siemens 808d)

If you have a PCIe slot u need the mesa 6i25, if you have regular PCI slot order the 5i25.

The ESS card you can just leave in the system.

I would disconnect the old hard drive, and leave it in there, and install PP on a new drive so its easy to go back if u have to.

If you have ?? I and others are here to help.

B
    Thanks a ton. In the process of ordering the PathPilot DVD. Just requested a quote, we will see how that goes.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at the description in this youtube video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone considered adding a mesa 7I75 7I75 Picture to the 5i25 or the 6i25 to gain more I/O than we currently have with the novakon BoB?

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Scott - the 5i25/6i25 has 2 ports. So you can use the novakon BOB and add an extra if you need more i/o.
    It's all in the programming.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast