torus pro spindle slop

Thread: torus pro spindle slop

Downloads
    Uploads

Default torus pro spindle slop

I've found that my torus had .008" worth of up and down slop in the spindle . I figured it had to be the bearings so I decided to do a tear down last night and give it a go over . I proceeded to remove the lower ring once I was about half way thru pulling it apart . the first bolt I touched was loose , so I tightened it and the slop was immediately gone . it turns out that all the bolts came loose over time which obviously allowed the spindle assembly to move up and down .
    I figured I'd post this as a warning and as a possible quick cure for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future . Considering the importance of this ring and it's bolts , I think it's a good idea for us to be checking these bolts every so often because If it happened to me then it's likely to happen to someone else
    Anyhow if it helps someone in the short or long term then it was worth posting this

Similar Threads:
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: torus pro spindle slop

Are these the screws on the bottom of the spindle...near the tool? 6 screws. 3 inner hold the cartridge together, 3 outer hold the cartridge in the head. Or the ones at the top? Did you have to drop the spindle cartridge to do it?

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

it's the ring on the bottom by the tool . the bolts are exposed and access is easy

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    I've found that my torus had .008" worth of up and down slop in the spindle . I figured it had to be the bearings so I decided to do a tear down last night and give it a go over . I proceeded to remove the lower ring once I was about half way thru pulling it apart . the first bolt I touched was loose , so I tightened it and the slop was immediately gone . it turns out that all the bolts came loose over time which obviously allowed the spindle assembly to move up and down .
    I figured I'd post this as a warning and as a possible quick cure for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future . Considering the importance of this ring and it's bolts , I think it's a good idea for us to be checking these bolts every so often because If it happened to me then it's likely to happen to someone else
    Anyhow if it helps someone in the short or long term then it was worth posting this
    Good to know, thanks.
    I'm curious what lead you to check for slop ?. Bad finish on part ?

Downloads
    Uploads

On my little home made mill with the X2 spindle head, it would start breaking smaller tools more frequently when it needed new spindle bearings. About once a year on it. It did show in the finish too. It left marks like it was recutting chips on the surface.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    it's the ring on the bottom by the tool . the bolts are exposed and access is easy
    Thanks!

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Good to know, thanks.
    I'm curious what lead you to check for slop ?. Bad finish on part ?
    Finish was good , sizes were good and the mill sounded fine . Found the play while loading the tool . I heard an odd clunk as I was tightening the tool , so I decided to investigate . It took a fair amount of force to move it which is why I think the sizes were good with the light finish cuts . Even the heavy cuts sounded good oddly enough , .008 is a lot of play