Torus Pro with braking resistor

Thread: Torus Pro with braking resistor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torus Pro with braking resistor

Before I spend the $400 required to upgrade to my spindle motor driver and add a braking resistor, I am curious....is anyone using it to stop/reverse/dwell/stop/forward the spindle to remove stringy chips wrapped around your tools?

Ray

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torus Pro with braking resistor

First, $400??? How many are you buying? I'm sure Novakon could sell you their current VFD and resistor for a good deal less than that. Do you not have the C300A VFD? The resistor itself is available from anyplace that sells 3-phase motors. I think I paid about $30 for mine.

Second, I very much doubt just stopping and reversing the motor would be of any help at all in removing strings wrapped around the tool. They can be hard to remove with pliers. If you're getting strings instead of chips cutting metal, you're probably doing something wrong. Strings typically result from too-slow feedrate, dull tools, or a number of other problems. It can be a fact of life with some plastics, but, even then, peck drilling with a very short peck distance to break chips can make a world of difference.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torus Pro with braking resistor

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    First, $400??? How many are you buying? I'm sure Novakon could sell you their current VFD and resistor for a good deal less than that. Do you not have the C300A VFD? The resistor itself is available from anyplace that sells 3-phase motors. I think I paid about $30 for mine.

Second, I very much doubt just stopping and reversing the motor would be of any help at all in removing strings wrapped around the tool. They can be hard to remove with pliers. If you're getting strings instead of chips cutting metal, you're probably doing something wrong. Strings typically result from too-slow feedrate, dull tools, or a number of other problems. It can be a fact of life with some plastics, but, even then, peck drilling with a very short peck distance to break chips can make a world of difference.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Novakon website has the VFD listed for $281, the resistor for $89 add in shipping and round up....yes I have the Sunfar C300A, and the C300 is the one that works with the resistor..

6061-T6, not drilling, end mills and the stringy chips are easily removed by hand as long as they are not left on through out the entire process and packed up...I was visiting with a friend a few days ago and that's what she was doing, with the coolant on, and it worked very well...With all the hours of toolpaths we are currently using, it would be easier for me to add the brake, and this code to the few lines in each toolpath where it is needed...

Ray