nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP?

The Mach3 config was right for your plasma table - fine.
    But is your mill config the same as your plasma config? Who knows?
    As you said, the pump may be stuck. So you can't blame Mach for that one.

What to do? Well, first find out what sort of motor you have. What sort of driver? Can't debug without knowledge.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP?

Hi Roger. I used my Novakon config file (the xml) for the mill that I had backed up , so its the the correct config. Didn't use he plasma config. As far as I know all machine specific settings are held in that config file. The fact that the z, y and spindle all work lead me to believe it's a physical problem with the x. I'll start by swapping the x and y wiring if I can or maybe the steppers, thats probably pretty quick and straightforward. Never taken this thing apart before so hopefully I don't have to completely disassemble

Last edited by t300; 03-10-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swap axes - good start.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pulled x motor off. Spins easy. Powered up mill and it energizes/locks, good. Unplugged it and plugged into y harness, works. So at least I know it's not the motor.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seems to me you don't need our advice at all! (This is a compliment.)
    But we would be interested in eventually hearing what the problem was. Adds to the knowledge pool.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha! A little knowledge is dangerous! Don't really know what I am doing that's for sure! I unscrewed the main board that holds the BOB on, the gecko drivers are behind it. Geckos only seem to have one light each but they are all green. Tried 3 different parallel port cables, no difference. So either a) my Mach or pc is messed up b) the bob is faulty? Or... ? Loading up yet another pc now as a test , then I'm out of ideas . I assume this bob (cnc4pc c11g) has a troubleshooting procedure somewhere

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In parallel I installed the mesa card and loaded path pilot (on yet another pc!) but wow, its way over my head. Won't be getting that going any time soon I don't think!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so, fixed it. long story but config reverted to wrong pin config for x axis. doesn't make any sense as i restored backup copy of config from when mill was working. restored 3 different copies of the config XML from 3 different dates, all have x-axis step as 'pin 0'. so 5 second fix that I spent 10 hours on lol. well at least I learnt a lot more about my stepper motors and unit wiring than I did before!. coolant pump is still dead but thats a separate issue. now that I know its working, time to try and get pathpilot to work. so far I'm lost but will keep at er

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys;\
    I'm in the process of re-vamping an old RF45 (lathemaster) and want to use Linux. I have a 5I25 mesa card, a computer built for this application, ubuntu installed on the computer and Linux cnc installed. My drivers are dmm dyn2 tech ac servo drives with the DMB4250 BOB. I'm building the control panel as we speak. Now with all this started I find myself at a loss as to how to configure linux, have it talk to the mesa card which in turn talks to the Bob for servo movement. Is there a thread, web site or hard copy of a system description from start to finish that can be understood by a layman?
    I'm not trying to cut corners just trying to figure out how to get this system running.
    I have used Mach for years but want to try and learn a new system
    Many thanks for all the informatyon.
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Went to fire up mill. everything was powered off for a few days. x axis didn't move. What the heck. Checked config and pin config for x step was back to 0. Config xml is not read only. Going to rebuild the xml from scratch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also determined why the coolant pump wasn't moving. Yikes! All good now other than the drain hose that was so stiff it snapped when I took the tray out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Guys;\
    I'm in the process of re-vamping an old RF45 (lathemaster) and want to use Linux. I have a 5I25 mesa card, a computer built for this application, ubuntu installed on the computer and Linux cnc installed. My drivers are dmm dyn2 tech ac servo drives with the DMB4250 BOB. I'm building the control panel as we speak. Now with all this started I find myself at a loss as to how to configure linux, have it talk to the mesa card which in turn talks to the Bob for servo movement. Is there a thread, web site or hard copy of a system description from start to finish that can be understood by a layman?
    I'm not trying to cut corners just trying to figure out how to get this system running.
    I have used Mach for years but want to try and learn a new system
    Many thanks for all the informatyon.
    Bill
    Bill, best to ask your questions on the LinuxCNC forum. https://forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/index The willingness to help blew me away from the first post I made. I don't use Servos but there is a very good tutorial there on how to tune them written recently by Tommmylight. I use a Mesa 7i76e ethernet stepper controller and once I got Linux correctly configured, actually getting LinuxCNC configured was dead easy on my slow build scratch built machine.

Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast