DIY Vacuum Thermo-Former - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Vacuum Thermo-Former

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Vacuum Thermo-Former

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The pattern plank is MP-1055 from Axson.com, and cost was $179.99 for a 16" x 60" x 2" plank, and is 48#/cu. ft. density. This is well under half the price I found for anything similar anywhere else. Shipping added another ~$75, and they have a $250 minimum order, which I met by buying two planks, plus a quart of their TCC-230 epoxy and a pint of TCC-102 hardener, as several of my forms have features up to 4" high, so need to be glued up from several pieces of plank.

Forget about MDF for anything other than a handful of prototypes - it simply does not hold up. You'd be lucky to get a half dozen pieces before the form starts falling apart. You'll never get a decent surface finish with plywood, and trying to smooth it out with epoxy, Bondo or some other filler will not end well.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hey Ray,

Looking for this material on their site but it does not show up. Are you still using this product for your molds? If so, did they change the item number?

Thanks,
    Awall

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Below is a short video of the vacuum former in action, making some parts for a friend. I've made a few more incremental improvements that improve sealing. That allowed me to greatly reduce the size of the vacuum reservoir - from 70 gallons to something like 4-5 gallons. The new one is a fiberglass back-flush tank from a friends no-longer-functioning water softener. It's about the size of a standard gas cylinder (~10" diam x 48" tall), and takes only about 90 seconds to charge to 25"-Hg - a HUGE improvement over the 20+ minutes it took to charge the big one!

I've now done dozens of parts, and could not be more pleased with how well it works - definitely better than either of the commercial machines I've used.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

The pattern plank is MP-1055 from Axson.com, and cost was $179.99 for a 16" x 60" x 2" plank, and is 48#/cu. ft. density. This is well under half the price I found for anything similar anywhere else. Shipping added another ~$75, and they have a $250 minimum order, which I met by buying two planks, plus a quart of their TCC-230 epoxy and a pint of TCC-102 hardener, as several of my forms have features up to 4" high, so need to be glued up from several pieces of plank.

Forget about MDF for anything other than a handful of prototypes - it simply does not hold up. You'd be lucky to get a half dozen pieces before the form starts falling apart. You'll never get a decent surface finish with plywood, and trying to smooth it out with epoxy, Bondo or some other filler will not end well.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hey Ray,

Thanks for the info on the materials. Just got in a $1,200 shipment of the stuff in 2" 3" and 4" planks cut to 15x16.

Possible for you to share your cut recipes? Tool - F/S - WOC/DOC?????

Thanks!

Awall

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Hey Ray,

Thanks for the info on the materials. Just got in a $1,200 shipment of the stuff in 2" 3" and 4" planks cut to 15x16.

Possible for you to share your cut recipes? Tool - F/S - WOC/DOC?????

Thanks!

Awall
    I used the recommendations on their website - IIRC roughing at 6000RPM/90IPM, finishing at 6000RPM/60 IPM using a 1/2" ballnose EM. Scale down appropriately for other size tools. It cuts really easily. You will spend a LOT of time sweeping away chips - they pile up really fast, because they're big and "fluffy". Also keep them away from coolant, which will turn them into mush. I try to cover the whole machine with a plastic drop-cloth when I make forms, to contain the mess.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I used the recommendations on their website - IIRC roughing at 6000RPM/90IPM, finishing at 6000RPM/60 IPM using a 1/2" ballnose EM. Scale down appropriately for other size tools. It cuts really easily. You will spend a LOT of time sweeping away chips - they pile up really fast, because they're big and "fluffy". Also keep them away from coolant, which will turn them into mush. I try to cover the whole machine with a plastic drop-cloth when I make forms, to contain the mess.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hey Ray, what kind of DOC/WOC are you using?

As for the cleanup - yep, I was doing some PVC board on my PCNC1100 and it was making a terrible mess. I decided to just bite the bullet and purchase and Axiom Pro 8 CNC router for this work. Hopefully it will pan out.... if not I guess I'll start making wood signs!

Later,
    Awall

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Hey Ray, what kind of DOC/WOC are you using?

As for the cleanup - yep, I was doing some PVC board on my PCNC1100 and it was making a terrible mess. I decided to just bite the bullet and purchase and Axiom Pro 8 CNC router for this work. Hopefully it will pan out.... if not I guess I'll start making wood signs!

Later,
    Awall
    I was taking it easy, since forms are a one-time thing. I believe I used 0.25" WOC, 1/2" DOC for roughing. It depends a lot on how you're holding the material. You can get quite aggressive with the machining, as long as it's securely held. Basically, treat it like wood, and you should be fine. I think the limiting factor is probably getting the chips out, since they are so big.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

John Saunders is machining some similar stuff in today's Wed Widgit.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Only suggestion I can make is when using a vacuum table like John is, add additional rubber seals to support the entire part. Just short straight pieces would do fine.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12