Alternate cooling system

Thread: Alternate cooling system

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternate cooling system

Has anyone hooked up an alternate cooling system for their pro? I want to use a trico md 1200 for 80pct of my operations and conventional coolant for boring, drilling, slotting, etc, but not sure how I would go about wiring in the solenoid for the trico. Anyone running an md1200 on here?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alternate cooling system

The problem you'll have is there are no spare outputs to control a second coolant device. If you have a SmoothStepper, you can wire up a second off-the-shelf BOB to give you more outputs, then you can control the extra coolant any way you want. Without that, about your only option is a manual switch to select between the two coolant devices, with the computer only controlling the on/off.

Not sure what the advantage of the proposed setup would be.... If you are using flood for anything, why not use it for everything? Flood works MUCH better than mist or micro-drop, with much less fuss. Mist and micro-drop are useless for deep pockets, or any geometry that blocks the stream. Mist absolutely sucks for drilling.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Ray. I bought the novakon pc which is supposed to come with the smooth stepper to my understanding. The manual switch sounds like the easier solution though. The reason for having both is I want to mainly use the trico if possible to minimize the mess in the garage, but I know I will not be bale to solely use the trico.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DFree998 View Post
    Thanks, Ray. I bought the novakon pc which is supposed to come with the smooth stepper to my understanding. The manual switch sounds like the easier solution though. The reason for having both is I want to mainly use the trico if possible to minimize the mess in the garage, but I know I will not be bale to solely use the trico.
    To reduce mess in the garage you will have to set up some sort of containment system. I consider it to be mandatory. Without it you will make a gigantic mess. There are a few threads about it on here/

Downloads
    Uploads

I connected several solid state relays to the single output of the BOB through a rotary switch. I have air blast, mist, and flood coolant available. I typically use just air for plastics. For metal, I've gone to just using flood for reasons Ray has stated. You have to have reliable flow management for it, but definitely the best way to go if it's done right. Blasting the cut zone with pressure + Volume makes deep pocketing a lot more reliable.
    I have one of the old stands I've cut huge drain holes in to recharge the Resovoir effectively.