Engine Hoist for Installing Torus Pro

Thread: Engine Hoist for Installing Torus Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Engine Hoist for Installing Torus Pro

I am a bit embarrassed to make this post but am at my wits end with my engine hoist. I have a 2t hoist and have pulled the spindle motor off but can get just barely enough height to clear the lip of the stand but not nearly enough lateral offset. If the stand didnt need to be chocked up so high to get the hoist under it, things would be better. Anyone else have any troubles? Tonight my mill made a somewhat controlled fall onto the concrete. The back edge of the base and the control box took the brunt of it. The control box isnt loose so I am going to assume all is well still.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engine Hoist for Installing Torus Pro

The weight and size is definitely a challenge!! Vids #5 and 7 in this playlist show some of what I had to go through with mine. Had to rent a specific hoist and even then, it didn't want to work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r8qYULDhOJzCCo

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

Make it easy, and safe - rent a "warehouse" forklift. They don't cost much, and you'd only need it for about an hour. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's definitely a way better idea!! I just couldn't find a rental in my area that would fit under my garage door. In hindsight.....I should have fork lifted it onto the base outside, then pallet jacked it inside. The way I did it is a great example of how not to do it and will give you an idea about just how scary it can be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm.......if you can get a simple gantry with a chain hoist, the type used to straddle a car's front end for when pulling out car engines, you can use that outside to lift the mill onto the base then drag it inside with a pallet jack.....no need for as fork lift.

Be aware, all column type mills are top heavy, even with the motor off, and will tip over very quickly when roped wrong.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, everyone. I will likely just assemble it in the driveway as suggested and bring it in on a pallet jack this wknd. sure would be nice if Novakon would have said what type of hoist is needed or some specs. I just wasted good money on an unuseable hoist. How concerned would you guys be with the mill getting dropped about a foot somewhat controlled with it landing at a tilt and resting on the electrical box and back edge of the cast base? the box doesnt seem to be loose, so my conclusion is that the working parts of the mill probably werent exposed to too much shock.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be concerned about the bottom of the column to the base junction. Just inspect that area pretty good for cracking.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Beyond finding something during a physical inspection like Lee suggests, I doubt you'll be able to tell anything until you get it set up and leveled......then you can check to see if any of the bolt together joints shifted.

Downloads
    Uploads

I started with an engine hoist from Pep Boys, but felt like it was going to fold when I got the mill 2" off the floor. I ended up renting a hoist with a trailer ball that could handle the weight of the pro. Worked out great, although a fork lift would be the best/least scary method

Downloads
    Uploads

No one around here rents shop fork lifts. Most of what they rent are the rough terrain type. Pretty much overkill.
    It is cheaper to rent a small tractor with forks instead of a bucket as long as it's rated to handle more than the weight. I am pretty sure the tractor we rented the last time for our Time Saver machine was rated for more than a ton.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I have set up my torus pro twice now. Also it was unloaded from a truck once and a small trailer once. The forklift is by far the easiest and in my opinion the safest way. The engine hoist went poorly. I abandoned it for one setup and brought in a forklift. I used it to unload from the trailer and that went bad fast.

For my last setup I used a chain hoist. I was setting up in a two story building so I drilled a hole in the upper floor and a 2x6. I then used the 2x6 to spread the load over a few floor joists and support the chain hoist. I lifted up the mill and then slid the stand underneath. This went relatively well but there was a big temporary bow in the upper floor but it went away when the load was removed. I'm not sure how safe this was but it worked. If you have a smooth floor you can assemble the mill and stand in one location then move it into its final location with a pallet jack (I think I got that idea from blue hands video)

I think the specs on Chinese made engine hoists are a bit optimistic. If a setup does not seem safe its likely not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray - I have my new lathe coming this week hopefully.

I was thinking about renting the forklift - my question to you is, can a newbie safely operate one?

They dont look too complicated but I dont want to drop a $20k piece of equipment!

Thanks!
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes anyone can operate a forklift, Bobcat, Tractor with forks etc. Avoid the Bobcats with foot controls. Way too touchy. The tractor worked very easily as does a real forklift. Just practice a bit with it for 10 to 15 minutes and you will be a pro at it. It really helps to have a helper that knows at least a little about it.
    Keep the cargo low to the ground when possible, but not so low that it drags.
    Keep the machine idled down low as needed. Less chance of a fast movement like that. Watch out for overhead clearances. Any tilt in the forks should be back toward the lift once the machine weight is on it.
    Measure twice, crash none.
    Take your time.
    Oh and I did not change my name, but I think Ray may give a similar opinion.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee - as always - thank you!
    It 'looks' easy, but than again so does machining...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was going for the forklift idea but wouldnt be able to bring it in under the garage door afterward. Ended up renting a hoist like the Bluehands video and got it on the stand with less than an inch to spare - yikes! I dont see any cracks in the casting, so crossing my fingers all is ok. I would have to think there would be other signs of damage before seeing crack initiation in the casting. No loose bolts on the electrical cabinet where the machine fell or rattles.