The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro - Page 7

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro

Last night my better half came out to the garage and helped me by sandblasting all the Z axis/headstock parts. She seems to enjoy using the blast cabinets to clean up parts, so I was not going to turn down the help. The cast iron block that the linear bearings bolt to and he pivot plate both cleaned up easily and I did not find any filler (bondo). This was actually better then I expected to find. I knew the headstock casting was wearing some filler, from when I did some machining on it. But I was very surprised at the amount of filler that had been used on the casting. There was a minimum of 1/16" of filler on any surface that was not machined, I would say it was more like an average of 3/32" in thickness with spots being thicker then 1/8". I am very puzzled as to why there was so much filler used and on every surface. I found 2 spots with casting flaws both of which could have used a spot treatment and been fine. Tonight I am hoping to have enough time to spray the color coat on the parts so they can have a couple days to cure before the weekend.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-23-22-28-06-jpg
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-23-22-28-41-jpg
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-23-22-28-52-jpg
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-23-22-29-05-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got all the parts painted last night, but it was not without a bonehead mistake first.

Can you figure out what it was?

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-24-16-33-37-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-24-16-33-42-jpg

Finished Product
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-24-16-41-33-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-24-16-41-37-jpg

Without using any brain the odds were stacked against me. I had a 1 in 4 chance of grabbing the correct can of paint. To add to the odds against me I had 3 cans of gray paint and 1 of safety yellow. So I get all setup and thin out the paint and head out to spray it in the back yard. I just finished with the second coat on everything and I was checking out my handy work when the thought crept in my brain I had not been using "that paint looks a little dark". My trip back into the garage confirmed my fears I had grabbed the can of Rustoleum "Smoke Gray" not the can of color matched paint for he Novakon. Then I figured I had already screwed up once lets see if I can really screw things up. So I cleaned the spray gun and loaded it up with the color matched paint and started spraying the parts again. So now I had 2 coats of Rustoleum down and proceeded to put down 2 coats of Sherwin-Williams over it. I know this is a huge no-no but I did not care and wanted to tempt fate. I lucked out this time and nothing bad happened and the paint setup fine and has a nice glossy finish as of this morning. It will need a few days to completely harden up but that is normal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is something wonky going on with the forum again. I can't see my post from last Friday in the thread. But I can see it when doing a search and when replying (right now).

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made some more progress this weekend, not so much towards making chips but towards completion of the project as a whole.

My plasma cutter and mill stand got into it again like a couple fighting cats.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-12-19-05-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-12-18-50-jpg

I finalized the plan for the chip pan and stand, last week. Then at the last minute decided to execute it Sunday when I have the mill lifted off the stand. I figured it is much easier to lit the mill when the head is off, so I went for it.

In the pictures above you can see where I cut out the top, what is left is the channel iron frame that in wrapped in sheet metal. The top of the stand has some very hefty sheet metal, about 1/8" thick. The underside is quite the opposite, it has a piece of what I would guess to be 18ga just to cover up the channel iron frame and make it look nice. After cutting the openings I placed the chip tray on top of the stand and traced the openings with a marker. I then sliced up the chip pan and started the fabrication. The resulting openings are about 4" X 16" and they both slope towards the center brace of the stand. I wanted to have the metal extend below the inside surface of the stand but the metal I had on hand fell short by about 1/4". I am hoping the coolant runs down and does not wander when it gets to the edge. I will fabricate a removable chip pan much like the new Novakon stands have that will be right below the two openings I have made.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-13-39-38-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-13-39-43-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-13-39-48-jpg

As the day wore on I was quickly running short on time and had to cut some corners at the end. I would have liked to take a little longer on the welding and give it more time to cool between welds which would have reduced the warping (it curled up a bit). I would have also done a better job of cleaning up the post weld burns and soot and painted the chip tray with some color matching paint. But I was in a rush to get the garage cleaned up and everything crammed back in so I quickly primed and painted with some spray paint. On the bottom I really rushed it, but it will work for now.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-27-17-25-00-jpg

On the bright side I should not have to do anything more with the chip tray, other then assemble the rest of the parts of it. I am hoping to have time to put the head back together and maybe be making chips by next weekend.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I am very puzzled as to why there was so much filler used and on every surface.

I wondering the same thing when cleaning the castings on my knee type mill head. It was perfect with no flaws and looked nice and smooth after painting. The filler may have a dampening effect to keep things from ringing like a bell. Just a guess

Downloads
    Uploads

The filler is purely cosmetic. It is easier , and takes less skill, to put a "skim coat" on everything, then sand it down, than to just do spot repairs. Pretty much all Chinese machines are done this way. Plus, you end up with a smooth surface rather than an as-cast surface. Having smooth areas, and as-cast areas looks like he11.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have made a little progress this week.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-29-21-52-46-jpg

I got my mill vise last week from Glacern, here are a few pictures showing the incredible packaging job and the wonderful vise.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-01-02-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-01-08-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-01-41-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-03-10-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-03-20-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-03-34-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-03-43-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-07-25-21-08-20-jpg

I guess I did not get a picture of the vise unpacked other then the first picture above of it on the machine.

I am hoping tonight to get the power switch mounted and maybe power the mill up again and check the tuning and new configuration files I wrote in the last week.

Downloads
    Uploads

You'll love the Glacern vise - I've had mine for over 5 years, and would not trade it for anything else.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    You'll love the Glacern vise - I've had mine for over 5 years, and would not trade it for anything else.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    A good friend of mine, that runs a high throughput shop has 4 of them now, after I told him about Glacern. These are in the same machine that has a table full of Kurt vises (pallet changing VMC). He has found no difference in part quality between the two brands. The price savings in significant and the quality seems to be identical. I will be picking up a second one soon and a couple for work soon too.

-Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally put power to my machine again last night, very nervously. I worked through each axis individually to check the tuning and movements. By the end of the night I had X,Y,Z tuned well enough for now and moving. I even ran a simple program.

Current working settings
    Max Rapid Velocity - 700 IPM
    Max Program Velocity - 500IPM
    Acceleration - 200 in/sec/sec

I also tried my homing routine for my KFLOP motion controller but that did not work so well. I need to look at the homing example code some more and see if I can figure out where I went wrong.

I am really hoping my aluminum pulley piece comes back from the anodizer today so I can make some chips this weekend. I already have a couple jobs waiting.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I was losing a bit with the 700 IPM, but I had my accel at 300. I'm sure if I try it with 200 accel, it will easily hold the accuracy at 700. I actually ran it at 800/300, but it stalled a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised if it did it with the accel turned down.

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

You may find you'll want to turn the acceleration down well below 200. Such high acceleration will result in severe shaking on changes of direction, which can affect surface finish. Setting it at 200 on a machine that is not extremely rigid could well result in degraded surface finish. And, unless you're doing a lot of 3D work, there's really no functional advantage to such high acceleration. And, it generates MUCH higher forces on the machine and the tool.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome info! Thanks Ray!!!! So, is the reduced accel part of the reason you say that high rapids gain very little time savings during a run? A short rapid won't even reach 700.

When I had the accel to 300.....I could feel the machine shaking the floor!!! I think I'm at 250 now. I'll turn them down even more when I fire it up again. You said well below......recommendation? As a beginner, speed isn't much of an issue.
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

Even with high acceleration, rapids quickly reach the point of diminishing returns. I run mine at 350 IPM. I can go faster, but it makes a difference of only a few seconds on most programs, while making a crash much harder to avoid. So, what's the point. I run my acceleration at 50. That gives good performance, and smooth operation, on 2D work, with only a very small penalty in terms of program run time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Ray. I have several different types of stepper driven machines. While they all can rapid pretty fast, I tend to keep them well below what they could run. It is simply extra insurance and gives a good cushion. They don't ever skip a step this way. The machine I run the fastest is my plasma cutter. It's also the largest. I run the rapids at 350 IPM. Everything else is 200 or just under that. Of course the plasma is the only one that has gearing. All the others are direct drive and that certainly makes a difference.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate that you gave specific numbers. When Ray said "well below", I wouldn't have thought to go all the way down to 50 for accel!! I will definitely dial my machine down when I fire it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    Thanks guys!! I really appreciate that you gave specific numbers. When Ray said "well below", I wouldn't have thought to go all the way down to 50 for accel!! I will definitely dial my machine down when I fire it up again.
    50 is the recommended value novakon programs their Mach 3 with. They also set the rapids at 250.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

is that for the stepper motors or the servos?

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    is that for the stepper motors or the servos?
    I have the servos and that's what was programmed in when it arrived.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well its been more than a few days since I posted an update. A week ago I machined my first parts.

The parts are 0.087" diameter cylinders 0.350" long with a 0.030" wide and deep trench milled the length and a 0.060" diameter pocket plunged in the side. I had 6 of these to make for work and I could either mill them on the old Bridgeport at work or bring them home and run then with a 6,000 RPM spindle.

Here is a crummy walk around video of my mill.

I am still having some movement issues with mill. I think it is all tuning related and I need to spend some more time trying different settings. For curves and straight lines it is fine. But when it has many small straight lines it jerkys and jumps. But I think it has been narrowed down to the Y axis only, so I am going to try throwing another set of bearings at it and see how it comes out. The angular contact bearings I have installed now have a very fine notchyness to them.

I designed up a test part and post processed the g-code using HSMXpress this weekend. The code ran fine other then when the tool has to go into a tight corner

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast