Uploads

Default Re: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro

Thanks for the answer!!

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

At 3000rpm, you can hear the beginning of the vibrations and it seems to progress louder right through to 8000rpm.
    Did you check the pulleys for balance?
    If the motor is quiet on its own, I would guess adding anything to it( like a pulley), will more than likely be the cause of the vibration.
    After listening to your video again(with headphones this time), there is little to no frequency squeal. It could very well be the belt and as you said,and that should quiet down once the cover plates are in place.
    Either way, good job and congrats on your bachelors. With all the work you've done here it shows you are of caliber.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    At 3000rpm, you can hear the beginning of the vibrations and it seems to progress louder right through to 8000rpm.
    Did you check the pulleys for balance?
    If the motor is quiet on its own, I would guess adding anything to it( like a pulley), will more than likely be the cause of the vibration.
    After listening to your video again(with headphones this time), there is little to no frequency squeal. It could very well be the belt and as you said,and that should quiet down once the cover plates are in place.
    The spindle side pulley should have been balanced from the factory (the whole spindle was to be balanced) and there are several setscrews in the balancing holes which leads me to believe they did it. The motor side pulley should be very near balanced, unless they is a void in the metal. The design has no asymmetry because it uses a taper fit bushing, but that could be where there is an imbalance because of the key way and slit to allow the bushing to compress. But with the spindle cartridge out of the head and the belt not engage in the motor pulley the whole works is incredibly quiet and smooth.

This all brings me to my assumption that the noise getting louder is a combination of entrapped air between the belt and pulley escaping and a possibly harmonic that is causing the belt to flap around a bit. So for now I am not going to worry about it unless I start shredding the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    Either way, good job and congrats on your bachelors. With all the work you've done here it shows you are of caliber.
    Thanks, its been a long journey that felt like it would never end at times but I am glad I stuck with it, and Thanks I always try to do things the way I think it best, which is not always the easiest.

This last weekend I was able to put a little time in on the mill again. I got most of the enclosure bolted on to the chip pans. This was mainly a dry fitup as I discovered my tube of RTV silicone had dried up. I was missing a couple pieces in this photo as they were still in the house and I was too lazy to go grab them,

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2016-01-09-18-58-46-jpg

I also put a little time into updating my HMI for the PLC. I am trying to create some useful screens for the operation of the mill. Because I have no clue how to modify the GUI code for the KFLOP to create these screens I am just doing it the way I know how to. I am still working on getting the PLC which talks to the VFD and eventually the servo drives, over MODBUS 485, configured but that is the easy part.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-00002-main-screen-png
    The main screen, it needs work as it is too busy but it has most of the content I want to see

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-00004-diagnostic-png
    An I/O Diagnostic screen

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-00006-vfd-read-png
    A VFD diagnostic screen.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

If everything is aligned properly, noise from timing belts will generally reduce considerably after some use, as the belt "wears in" to better fit the pulleys. When I first got my Torus Pro, I was somewhat concerned about both the noise and vibration in specific speed ranges. But, after just a few days use, it quieted down, and has been nearly silent ever since.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If everything is aligned properly, noise from timing belts will generally reduce considerably after some use, as the belt "wears in" to better fit the pulleys. When I first got my Torus Pro, I was somewhat concerned about both the noise and vibration in specific speed ranges. But, after just a few days use, it quieted down, and has been nearly silent ever since.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Good to know, thanks. I have not run into this before but I have never run a timing belt this fast.

I just decided to take a look for a design guide for the belt and pulleys I am using. I never bother looking into this before because I did not feel I had much choice because of the hassle of changing the spindle pulley. Stock Drive Products lists this "For the HTD belts, a speed of 6500 feet per minute"

So doing some quick number crunching
    50 Tooth HDT 5mm pulley = 3.133" dia pitch diameter
    3.133*3.14 = 9.837 inches per rotation
    9.837*8,000 RPM = 78,700 inches per minute
    78,700/12 = 6,558 feet per minute

I guess I am just a tad over the recommended speed limit. Now knowing that I am guessing that most likely explains why the noise gets so much louder with the step from 7,000 RPM to 8,000RPM. For now I will just focus on getting the side plates replaced and order up an extra belt as a CYA.

-Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was recently asked about the motor side pulley I used and became aware I never posted about it. So here goes.

My motor pulley ended up being a custom made piece, because I needed it to extend out from the end of the motor shaft a good ways due to the design of the headstock casting and the modifications I have done to it. I started with a piece of aluminum timing belt pulley stock from B&B Manufacturing Timing Belt Pulleys & Timing Belts - Synchronous Drive Parts | B&B Manufacturing. Steel was my first choice but I would have had to order it and wait for it to be made at the time. I happened upon a remnant piece of aluminum pulley stock being sold on eBay at the time I was working on the pulley design.

I decided to use a "QT" size QD tapered bushing to mate the pulley to the motor shaft. While getting the mating taper just right poses a bit of a challenge the pay off of having a clean, simple, inline solution that is self centering was a huge pay off. One of the main reasons for moving away from a straight bore was the tooling cost for me if I was to make the parts. I would have needed to buy a reamer for the motor shaft size, a broach and the associated parts (shims, bushing, second broach if I messed up the first one). Plus as it turns out the bushings are cheap, only about $13 each. The choice to go with the tapered bushing ended up being a very wise choice, when my first spindle motor died and I needed to make the beer tapper handles for my wedding I was able to rig up a temporary replacement motor and just swing by the local Grainger to pick up a new bushing for the 1/2" shaft. Again when I upgraded my spindle motor to the Fanuc unit I needed a 24mm or 28mm bushing, again a stop at Gainger and I $13 later I had the correct bushing.

The pulley it's self is constructed from 3 pieces. The base part is a steel body with one of the belt guides built in. Pressed onto that is the aluminum pulley stock which has been bored to for a heavy press fit and then hard coat anodized. Lastly is the second belt guide which is also steel. The finished part looks a little goofy, like I messed up on the width of the pulley stock but that is not the case. I originally designed the pulley to accommodate 2 speed operation, with the 50th tooth section providing a 1:1 drive ratio and then I could add a second section of pulley stock for a higher spindle speed. If I were to do that I would need to drop down to a 20mm wide belt. If I were to do it over again I would most likely scrap that part of the plan and just build it as a one speed pulley and not have the extra stock.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-08-01-11-10-30-jpg The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-08-01-11-11-17-jpg The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-08-01-18-25-55-jpg The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-08-01-18-26-01-jpg The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-2014-08-01-18-26-07-jpg

As for the drive belt, that was sourced from Amazon. I went with a 480-5M-25. Which breaks down to a 480mm pitch length, 5M is the designation for the 5mm HTD tooth profile (for the BT30 spindle) and 25 is for a 25mm wide belt, which was the widest I could readily find at the time. So far the 25mm belt has been plenty to handle the power of this machine, and if my memory serves me correctly is actually wider than needed for 3-5hp.

-Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-qd-bushing-specs-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a question from a forum member about a modification I made to my machine that I guess I forgot to post before, so here it is.

In an effort to stiffen up the head on my mill I have added two more bolts to the rotary joint. I am never going to tip the head on my CNC, I just don't have a need. I will deal with angles through fixturing or tool paths. The two bolts that lock the head from rotating are very sizable but are inadequate to properly constrain the head from flexing up and down. With the factory bolts at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions I added two more at 12 and 6.

I think I used M10 bolts. The back of the head casting drilled and tapped
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-head-mod-1-jpg

The pivot plate modified with two additional access holes. These bolts will not be able to be accessed from the front because of their location. Well the top would not be.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-head-mod-3-jpg

I used two 5/8" (1/2" thread) T-nuts from a strap clamp set for the T-nuts that go into the pivot plate. I turned the t-nuts down to be semi-round, taking just the corners off enough to fit into the machined holes I made. The M10 bolts passed through the 1/2" threaded holes just fine. I then used the 4 bolts holding the pivot plate to the cast iron box for adjusting the head when tramming it back in.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-head-mod-2-jpg

I don't have a measurable means to quantify the change in rigidity. But I know that I had troubles taking cuts in steel along the Y axis before. I would get a decent amount of chatter and had to turn down the feed speed compared to the X direction. Now I don't have that. If I put an indicator under the spindle and push up or pull down on the head of the mill I still see a couple thousandths of deflection. This I attribute to the anemic column and the lack of medium to high pre-loaded linear bearings on the Z axis.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Great mods Dan,
    I've wished many times that rotating head was fixed. I have no use for the tilting aspect. Trying to tram is a pain, as every quarter turn of a bolt changes the reading on the dial indicator. Takes a while to get it right working both bolts ever so gradually. I'd love to see your MRR with the new motor setup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In case someone is interested this mill is now up for sale. Currently listed on Craigslist in the Minneapolis area. I have upgraded to a Haas to get simultaneous 4th axis without having to build it, so this machine needs to find a new home.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...736443271.html

-Dan

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415