Just ordered the last melon (Torus) - Page 21

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Thanks MM for your help. It looks like Leadshine, at least for their non-network stepper drives, has only the EM-S series and the DM series.

Leadshine General Stepper Drives

What really triggered this is my volunteer work at a local high school where I've been helping them get their Tormach 440 up and running. They want to use the 440 to support their FIRST Robotics competition. They also have a Tormach 24R router that blew a Z-axis stepper driver. For some reason I had it in my head that the 24R router also used the same MA860H driver as my Novakon Torus.

It turns out that I was mistaken - big shocker. The 24R router is actually using the Leadshine 3ND883 (Tormach part #32000) which is apparently driving polyphase stepper motors. It takes a considerable amount of time for the high school's purchasing department to issue PO's, and so the 24R router might be down for another month waiting for a replacement. Yes, the high school should have had spare drivers, but the fact remains that a month of downtime is going to really hurt the robot construction timeline.

I may just pony up for an el-cheapo temporary driver out of my own funds until the Tormach driver shows up. I'm about to open up the malfunctioning 3ND883 and see if there is anything obvious that I might be able to repair.

Downloads
    Uploads

your right , it's the dm860e i was thinking about .
    Maybe the kids could do a weekend bottle drive / fundraiser for the shop ? I'm sure a lot of locals would be more than happy to support them

here is an alternative to buying from tormach which is a fair bit cheaper https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/le...r-motor-3dm883

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    here is an alternative to buying from tormach which is a fair bit cheaper https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/le...r-motor-3dm883
    Great minds must think alike. I had also discovered the 3DM883 as the likely successor to the 3ND883. I found one on the eBay site of PLC Direct for $101.28 with free shipping. They say it could get to me as early as this Thursday and it just might given that they are in Southern California. Sure beats Tormach’s price of $183.75

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-3621164b-558f-431e-af88-fe32fecc7627-jpgJust ordered the last melon (Torus)-1736a391-4d19-43f2-9ab6-7bbfe4bfb9c7-jpg

Tormach’s version of the 3ND883 on the left and the 3DM883 is on the right. I’m going to have to be careful as Leadshine has changed up the power terminals between the two models.

Perhaps a bigger problem is that the Tormach 3ND883 uses a 10 pin IDC header while both the 3ND883 and the 3DM883 both use Phoenix style connectors for the signal connections.

https://www.stevenrhine.com/?p=2687

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-04d12f99-4197-4198-a1c4-fa87b8e7cdbc-jpg

I will have to find a female 10 pin IDC connector that I can mate up to the Tormach male 10 pin IDC connector and then terminate the individual ribbon wires to the proper Phoenix connector terminals on the new/temporary 3DM883.

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-b79bedee-6433-4c0c-8f24-411008eb96e2-jpg

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021