Vibratory tumblers

Thread: Vibratory tumblers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vibratory tumblers

Do you guys use vibratory tumblers at all? I have one for my small parts and love how they come out. Can't find one that is reasonably priced that is large enough to hold my larger parts. Maybe I should just save up and get a Mr deburr 300 but would love something cheaper. My longest part is about 12 inches long...

Thanks guys!
    -Keith

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    Do you guys use vibratory tumblers at all? I have one for my small parts and love how they come out. Can't find one that is reasonably priced that is large enough to hold my larger parts. Maybe I should just save up and get a Mr deburr 300 but would love something cheaper. My longest part is about 12 inches long...

Thanks guys!
    -Keith
    My dads shop has a Mr Deburr 300, he's used it daily for over 15 years, and preps all of his raw aluminum in it (just to clear up the burr from bandsawing)

I'd say its been worth the money in his case..

Downloads
    Uploads

Twelve inches requires a LARGE machine! I have two: One is an 18" bowl, which handles parts up to about 8-10", and one with a 24" bowl I got for $150 from a machinist who was retiring. That one could probably barely handle 12" parts. My 18" machine cost about $450, and the larger one was probably several thousand, but it's a real brute.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

check out this one from Northerntool.com it should be large enough for your parts Shop Tuff 1.25 Cu. Ft. Vibratory Deburring and Finishing Tumbler, Model# STF-18VT | Vibratory Tumblers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Regards,

Jose

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a LOT of Googling and reading before buying my first tumbler. Everything I saw convinced me the bowl-type tumblers are much more efficient and faster-acting than the drum type like the Northern Tools one. If you look into both types when they're running, you'll see a major difference in the "energy" of the action.

It's also quite easy to build your own, the only tricky part being getting your hands on the bowl. But, replacement bowls are available, and not crazy expensive, for many vibratory finishers. The "motivator" is nothing more than a motor with an eccentric weight on the shaft. Make the size, and offset of the weight adjustable, and you can "tune" for best action.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Vibratory tumblers-m1130001-jpgVibratory tumblers-m1130002-jpgVibratory tumblers-m1130003-jpgVibratory tumblers-m1130004-jpgThis is a tumbler I made from an old furnace circulator pump motor, cut motorcycle fork springs,a funnel and a feed tub. The weight is the cut stop arm from a harbor freight band saw. Any bowl can be mounted with the threaded rod.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up ordering this bad boy

Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 45 Case Tumbler 110 Volt

My really long part is actually curved so it should fit in the tumbler. I also just needed something that could handle more parts. The 12" bowl one I have just wasn't cutting it.

-Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

Keith,

Keep in mind, if the part is too large to move around freely in the bowl, it won't work nearly as well.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I could squeeze the part into the 12" bowl so the 17" should be ok (I hope)..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So it doesn't really matter if the bottom of the tub is bowl shaped?

Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The part is only about 1.75" thick. Even if it doesn't work I use it for all my other parts anyway...