Cnc turret punch troubkeshoot

Thread: Cnc turret punch troubkeshoot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cnc turret punch troubkeshoot

I was punching nested parts on a tailift hps 2500 and using a 1x.25 rectangle tool and a die that .02 clearance. My punch chipped off in opposite corners. It was in a rotating station using adapters to accept a b style tool. I made sure to have everything lined up. Could it have chipped while i was dry running it? Also is dry running it bad? I cant get around it because my supervisor wants me to test everything using a drop that is smaller than a full sheet

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cnc turret punch troubkeshoot

OK I just saw your post as I am New to forum. While I do not have any experience with your machine I did run Amada Vipros King 358 and Assume they function close to the same. I also now make progressive Tooling and have rebuilt many Turret tools. With that out of the way. A clean dry run with no material should never damage a tool. With out knowing your tool manufacturer I think that the 0.020 clearance is a total clearance which means your die should measure 1.020 X 0.270". Was there any damage to the Die in the same corners. If there was then you then there was some slop in either your locating key on the turret; adapter key slot, or the tool key. If there was now damage to the die how deep was the chipping? Example 0.01-0.025" or the whole corner. In the case of the whole corner it can be caused by stress fractures caused by defective heat treatment or over heating the tool while resharpening. With out knowing the material specs you were trying to punch and seeing the tool I am just guessing based on what I have seen in the past in both turrets and Progressive dies.