Fluidyne (liquid piston Stirling engine) Project -> OT
The reflector material I'm working with is a rear-silvered 3/32" polycarbonate available through a local plastics distributor in 48"x96" sheets. If interested, check your phone directory yellow pages for Plastics - Distributors - Sheets.
Call all distributors listed - I found a more than $100 variation in prices locally.
I've heard that Mylar is short-lived, and because I've already had good results in using polycarbonate glazing, I decided to go with that for the reflector.
Since the focal tube of my engine is the hot head, and because I'm trying for the simplest solution possible (hence the fluidyne), I haven't dared to even think about multi-cylinder engines. At this stage I'm struggling to keep the component cost below $200, and I don't think I could do that with a more complex engine.
Most of what I might have to offer gets pushed out to my web site sooner or later so that the handful of folks around the world who're already doing parallel efforts have a common resource.
The parabolic trough, thanks to CNC, turns out to be the easiest part of the project - it's the thermodynamics that's my weak point (although I have finally managed to produce a math/software model that's beginning to act pretty much like the engines themselves). I still have a lot to learn.