My servomotor controller for hobby CNC machines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My servomotor controller for hobby CNC machines

dubble

Default My servomotor controller for hobby CNC machines

Hi,

I have developed a brushed servomotor controller.
    Maybe somebody is interested in it.

The inputs are step/direction signals.(you can use MACH2-3, KCAM4, etc.)
    Maximum voltage: 90V
    Maximum current: 20A
    Selectable 2X and 4X quadrate encoder logic.
    The main controller algorithm is a modified PID alg.
    It has a PID controller manual and autotuning feature, full diagnostic via USB port and some other good features...

The price of the controller is hobby rated
    If you are interested or have questions, write mail to: dubblecnc(at)gmail.com

Here's the picture of my controller:

The PCB only:

Download a short video of running servo, click here.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by dubble; 04-02-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

why dont you post prices?

Downloads
    Uploads

I too would like to see the price

dubble

Hi All!

Thanks for the replys and for the e-mails.
    The price of 1 controller is 99USD.
    The shipping cost is not included in the price!

We made an LPT port breakout board for our controller, you can connect maxium 4 servo controllers to it and all other LPT inputs and outputs can be accessed via it.
    The price of the breakout board is 39USD.
    Our website is only hungarian language, yet, but translation to english is in progress.

You can download the datasheet of the controller from here:
    http://dubble.extra.hu/hun/whale/seroconfig.zip
    There's an english documentation in the ZIP package( /DOC_ENG). You can tune the controller with our servoconfigurator program, which is in the package, also .

Last edited by dubble; 04-03-2007 at 10:30 PM.

dubble

Hi!

I uploaded another video file. It shows how easy is to tune our servo controller. No potenciometer tuning!
    Just click the start button and the PID controller is tuned in seconds.

Download the video here:
    http://dubble.extra.hu/hun/videok/autotuning.wmv

Downloads
    Uploads

hello dubble:
    thats a nice looking layout you have.
    the price is very good.
    the software looks good as well.
    this is not a home normal brew controller.
    but it seems to be almost plug and play.
    have seen the ghalil self tunning software?
    o yeh, thanks for your advice on the pic forum,
    smarbaga, garry

dubble

Smile

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your appritiation.
    Yes, I saw the Ghalil tuning software, but I think their controller are not hobby rated, the price is a "bit" higher.

Yes, it's easy to wire up the controllers and I think the RJ45 connectors are really good, because they're shielded and immune to industrial noise.
    The first controller was tuneable via RS232, but COM ports are limited on a computer, so we changed it to USB(virtual serial port).

The package is natur aluminium, the bottom is 5mm wide, so it functions as a cooling rib.

Oh, I remember you from the Microchip forum, but now I have limited time to visit the forum Maybe I will take a look today.

dubble

deleted

Last edited by dubble; 04-10-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, is Hungary part union?
    With other words do we have to pay additional income tax when ordered from the EU?

David

dubble

HI,

Yes we have been part of the Union since 2004. As we know you don't have to pay additional tax if you purchase from another EU member country. Of course it depends on what is your location.

Our location is Pecs, Southwest Hungary.

Downloads
    Uploads

What will shipping be to US? Also what happens to the motor if the encoder signal is lost?

Thanks

Dennis

dubble

I do not properly understand what have you asked about shipping.

If you purchase a controller we send it to you in the aluminium pack as one of the above picture shows.
    The related programs and documentations you can download here for free:

http://dubble.extra.hu/hun/whale/seroconfig.zip

There's an english documentation in the ZIP package( /DOC_ENG). You can find the controller description and the servoconfigurator program in the package, also .

If you need, we can send an LPT port breakout board as well:

This board gets step/dir signals from the computer and distributes them between the controllers. Maximum 4 servo controllers can be attached to it with standard patch cables. The two connectors on the left are the unused inputs and outputs of the LPT port which can be also accessed.
    Moreover, this board can distribute digital supply, reset signal and stop signal too.
    If you connect the encoder to the controller properly, the controller will not make any failure!
    But if you don't, you can solve this problem with limitswitches.

Last edited by dubble; 04-11-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    What will shipping be to US? Also what happens to the motor if the encoder signal is lost?

Thanks
    He means how much is the shipping cost to the us

Downloads
    Uploads

^^ You got it!

Dennis

dubble

Hi!

Oh, I see now.

It depends on the shipping method and the number of drives. for 3-4 controller (weight<2kg) it starts at about 70USD with EMS.

We are located here:

Last edited by dubble; 04-12-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long is the RJ45 ethernet cable between breakout board and dirvers ?
    It´s possible connect longs cables for step and dir and short cable between driver and motor.

Sometime ago I made the same question in gecko forum and people saidme that this way in cabling wolub be impossible.

Thanks ind advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ajv2803959 View Post
    How long is the RJ45 ethernet cable between breakout board and dirvers ?
    It´s possible connect longs cables for step and dir and short cable between driver and motor.

Sometime ago I made the same question in gecko forum and people saidme that this way in cabling wolub be impossible.

Thanks ind advance
    It is not impossible, the problem is: the longer the step-dir signal cable, more interference it will receive.

You can still use long cables if you use differential signals for Step and Direction, but it will require a differential transmitter at the Break Out Board end and a differential receiver at the Driver's end.

dubble

Hi,
    We are using 5m long Ethernet cable
    between the controller and the breakout board and a 1.8m printer cable and there is no problem. You can use a maximum of 10m total lenght(LPT cable+RJ45 cable) as it is described in standards. As you may know the longest printer cable is 10m long, that is the limit.
    "It´s possible connect longs cables for step and dir and short cable between driver and motor."
    It is correct. Our breakout board is a simple distributor board so it only forwards the step/dir signals coming from the PC.
    We have implemented RJ45 connector because the attaching to the PC is much easier with it.
    The standard ethernet cable is shielded and crossed, so it will not pick up noise from the enviroment.

Kreuts, I agree, you can use RS485 differential signals for really long distances, up to 100meters, but I think 10m is enough for most of the hobbyist.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your responses Kreutz and Dubble.
    Another question :

1) Have you tried the configuration with UTP cable cat 5 or 6, maybe much better so UTP is more flexible and easier get it

When you speak about 10 meters Do you want to say 10 meters per axis ?

Do you think that this topology is better than traditional?

I see an advantage power cord never will broken due to movements in the axis. So It is impossible burn the power stage in the driver.

I had an a bad experience with an stepper motor driver due to this

Comments

Thanks in advanced

dubble

Hi,

Patch cable = UTP cable with RJ45 connectors on it! We're using UTP cable and yes, it's flexible enough It's a CAT5 UTP cable, if you think in it deeper, it is used in 100Mbit ethernet connections, it's up to 100MHz data transfer speed without error. If you use Mach3, the frequency is maximum 45kHz, it's much slower, so it's safe.

Yes, I meant 10 meters/axis. If you're using e.g. a 2m printer cable from PC to breakout board, then 8meter UTP/axis. I think you understand it from the example.

I think this topology is much better like screw terminal connections, I have the following reasons:

- RJ45 plug and play like fast connectivity.
    - You don't have to hack a printer cable, with screw terminal connections you have to pull down the common shield from the LPT wires, so it could easily pick up noise then.

You don't have to afraid from powerstage damage, the driver has a builtin short protection. If a short occurs, the driver turns of all MOSFETS. Even if you cut the whole patch cable, the MOSFETS will be turned off aswell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast