New X2 Mini Mill Base - Page 7

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: New X2 Mini Mill Base

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default where does it fit

Basic beginner question. What is the area of use this product excels? Or put another way; what is its niche it fits?
    I really like the composition of the base and appreciate low cost, noise, and vibration. I understand the work area limitation but I do not know enough about CNCs to understand what the relatively low RPM, low capacity steppers, drive system, etc. infer. Is the resulting CNC expected to be used for carving hardwood, high precision aluminum dies, high speed production, custom hard steel, or what?

thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It gives you a bigger working envelop over the X2. Furthermore, you are able to have a CNC-ready table (x and y) for little more than the cost of conversion kits on the market, and total cost of a CNCbridges solution (including the z attached to the X2 mill head and column) is below the cost of a new X2 converted to CNC using a 3rd party kit (CNCBridges, Steele, and KDN).

But no one really knows how rigid the set up will be since no one has one yet. So it would all be speculation at this point. The guys on the buy list will be the first but it appears that Harlow is still engineering his product as people provide wants/needs to him.

Harlow, you are an engineer first aren't you Good man.

FWIW,
    Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jay C – I’m not an engineer. Just your average guy that likes to make stuff and figure things out. I’m really anxious to wrap this so I can get to the next project. I expect there are several on the “Buy List” that will agree.

later,
    Harlow
    http://cncbridges.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well being called an engineer probably isn't the worst thing you've been called

How close are you to shipping? I'm looking forward to how all this pans out for you and for the members that have bought one.

Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,

Anxiously awaiting the kit. Ordered mid December (Going to San Antonio, TX). What's the current build progress, and when can we expect delivery? I'm also working on coupling solution to bridge the output shaft of the stepper with the lead screw. What's the diameter of the lead screw at the location of the coupling, 3/8"?

Best Regards. Alex.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes its 3/8.
    @harlow- Can you tell me what the base dimensions are? I am building a stand for it now so I have some place to put it when it arrives.
    Thanks
    Dale

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jay – Very close to shipping. Within a few days. Doing mounts, nuts, shafts etc. right now.

Alex – Build progress is good. Will be better when I am caught up. Shaft diameters are 3/8”.

Dale – Base dimensions are X – 20”, Y – 20”, Z – 4”. That’s the actual foundation part. Pics below.

Below is the foundation. Don’t underestimate the time put into this. I know it just looks like a grey block with some aluminum rails. A lot of thought and work went into the changes. I put bolts in all the mounting holes just to show where they are. All those bolts are not included. Just the ones needed to mount the mini mill column. The small bolts are ¼ x 20; larger bolts are 3/8 x 16. There are steel inserts embedded in the epoxy for each of those bolts. The top column mounting bolts have a 3” depth and the rear (back) column mounting bolts have a 1 ¾” depth.

1st pic is the front. The center-recessed area is where the motor mount travels. This was extended all the way back to the column mount area. Also in this area is where the Y nut mounts. The two recessed areas on each side of the center were added to allow easier access to the adjustment bolts when aligning the X-axis. I carried the recess back past the column mount area to allow for better fluid drainage and easier chip removal. This also turned out to be a nice place to store tools. The column mount area in the back is 5” x 10”. The two tall bolts are for the stock mini mill column mounting. The 3rd bolts on the stock column goes to the riser block not shown in this pic. The center recess in the middle of the column mount area is to allow for the longer Y leadscrew we now use.

2nd pic is back. All of the small bolts are ¼ x 20. Large bolts are 3/8 x 16. As stated before, the two tall bolts are for mounting the stock mini mill column. The eight 3/8” Allen screws on the column mount area top and back are there for future columns and those customers that are building their own columns. I spent an entire month trying and testing everything I could think of to make the entire column mount area drill and tap able. I could not find a method of casting the area that was as strong as pre-installed taps with steel inserts.

later,
    Harlow
    http://cncbridges.com/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New X2 Mini Mill Base-img_0697a-jpg   New X2 Mini Mill Base-img_0698a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,
    Nice, Nice, and NICE!

This looks Like the PRO Version. I have to say I'm very impressed with the
    enhancements and well thought out upgrades. To me it does not look like just a block with rails. I can see that there is plenty of mounts and increased
    travel.

Very Pleased...

Good Job Man.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you kidding me this thing is beautiful! I have all confidence in this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Sigh....

I'm reading all the posts and getting seriously jealous!
    The cost of shipping the kit to Oz is $$$!

Oh well, when I win the lottery I'll come over to the USA and bring one back in my suitcase!

As was posted earlier...
    Nice, nice, and NICE!! (wipes drool from chin...)

Cheers,
    Dave.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see new pics .......yeeeeeeah ......thanks for the imagery Harlow ....keep'em coming we're all curious as to the improved shipping version.

When architects and engineers fail ......my phone rings....go figure! LOL What next?

Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke to DeWayne today for awhile, he indicated that he is closing in on starting shipping. I talked to him about some of my concerns and he has addressed my concerns. I am still excited about the prospects for this product.
    Hang in there DeWayne.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm excited as well. I spoke with DeWayne last week before the recent pictures were posted. He's making good steady progress. Sounds like everyone is going to be real happy soon. I know this base represents alot of work in the making. Sounds like DeWayne has come a long way and learned alot and settled for even less. I'm very happy to be in line for this product. I have my X2 head and coulumn ready to go and my electronics as well. From what I've been reading there are others who would like to be doing castings like these. Should be interesting in the days and weeks ahead.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I must be in "clueless" mode!

Where do you see new pics?

tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post #127

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dropride View Post
    Post #127
    Aww, I was hoping there was more on his website.

I can wait.

If I have to.

tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The website lists a weight of 115lbs.

I wonder if thats the weight of the base only? or the whole machine with the X2 column?

I'm wondering how much shipping would cost to Canada...

./Loren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They only sell the base. You need to buy the X2 mill head and column for www.littlemachineshop.com

Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They sell the base as well as the Z axis motor mount and leadscrew mount assembly. So I would assume the 115lb wieght is for the base and the Z mount without the column and head. But thats me "assuming".

@Harlow-Hope all is going well. I am patiently waiting. Im in no hurry on getting it. In the process of reorganizing my garage with all "slide-lok" cabinets and still need to build a stand for it.

Dale

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow - looks slick. With the new modifications to the Z base plate, can the X3 column bolt right on?

Mike

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast