New X2 Mini Mill Base - Page 5

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: New X2 Mini Mill Base

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    John, can you post the part numbers from Nick for the Taig Z/head assembly? Did you go with the ER16 and 1/4 HP motor too?

Using the Taig Z and head, what will your Y be as it doesn't look like it "hangs" over the table as far as the X2 head?

Have these started shipping yet, and another ping for a video and a progress update or some news from Harlow.

Jay
    Jay,

I just emailed Nick, and asked for a complete CNC-ready Z-axis, from top to bottom. He emailed me a price, and I bought it via paypal. Yup, I got the ER-16 and 1/4 Hp motor as well. Fabbing up a bracket is the next step. I've ground a piece of 90 degree strut bracket, and will use that to mate the column to the table.

I'm going to need a spacer for the mill head, to increase its "throat". The spindle mounts to the Z carriage with 10-32's, so I shouldn't have too much problem drilling and tapping a spacer.

I'll keep you posted.

Best,
    John Bear Ross

PS, Harlow, please resend your email...I deleted it by accident, unread. Hope it's good news!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by John Bear Ross View Post
    Jay,

I just emailed Nick, and asked for a complete CNC-ready Z-axis, from top to bottom. He emailed me a price, and I bought it via paypal. Yup, I got the ER-16 and 1/4 Hp motor as well. Fabbing up a bracket is the next step. I've ground a piece of 90 degree strut bracket, and will use that to mate the column to the table.

I'm going to need a spacer for the mill head, to increase its "throat". The spindle mounts to the Z carriage with 10-32's, so I shouldn't have too much problem drilling and tapping a spacer.

I'll keep you posted.

Best,
    John Bear Ross

PS, Harlow, please resend your email...I deleted it by accident, unread. Hope it's good news!
    John, I think this conversation is on topic as it relates to mating the Taig Z to the CNCBridges base, but if you want to create a new thread let me know.

That said, just wanted to make sure you understand that the milling head attaches tot he column via a dovetail slide. And that Taig makes extensions for the lathe that will work. Of course if you already have the tools to make your own, then never mind

Also, I'll send you a PM to get the pricing Nick gave ou, or you can post it. His prices reflect Taig's - 10%, but I'm not sure what all sub parts make up the whole assembly.

Thanks,
    Jay

kaderick

Default column and r8 head

I ordered a column and r8 mini mill head from littlemachine shop, but have no use for them at this time. I haven't even opened the boxes up. You can have them for what littlemachineshop sells them for, I will pay for shipping. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone received their new base yet?

I was about to pull the trigger on a CNC conversion kit from cncfusion. Now I'm not so sure ...

We need a video!

Last edited by lcard929; 12-16-2006 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Personnally, I'm more interested in the testing done on the spammer with the sand bag on his head ! Did you make any video's ? I am sure it would sell better than the machine your puttin together ! HA HAHA haha ha

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    John, I think this conversation is on topic as it relates to mating the Taig Z to the CNCBridges base, but if you want to create a new thread let me know.

That said, just wanted to make sure you understand that the milling head attaches tot he column via a dovetail slide. And that Taig makes extensions for the lathe that will work. Of course if you already have the tools to make your own, then never mind

Also, I'll send you a PM to get the pricing Nick gave ou, or you can post it. His prices reflect Taig's - 10%, but I'm not sure what all sub parts make up the whole assembly.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay,

Here's the quote from Nick...

> It is $495.00 for the complete CR-ER column, $440.00 with the CR, stock
    > spindle.
    > less 10% plus S&H

I also bought his suggested Mill package, which included a vise, tooling, collets, and other assorted bits. All told, it was $644.66, shipped, to my door in 89048.

Nick is good people, so I would buy in confidence.

Best,
    John Bear Ross
    Hellion Productions
    http://www.hellionproductions.com

PS Harlow, I couldn't get those measurements today for the Taig base...family/Christmas picture day. I will knock them out tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Appreciate you posting the information John. I agree Nick is the goto guy for Taig both in price and support. I own their Micro Lathe and get my accessories from Nick. Look forward to reading about for project.

Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

BUMP

Didn't want to lose this post amongst the swarm of oil reclamation and catalogue posts.

Best,
    John Bear Ross

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to make sure no one misses this I will link to it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29244

Email is not as dependable as it was 5-10 years ago. Thank our politicians for that. Pass a law and hang the a**h****. I’ll tie the knot.

I can only remember one correspondence on this product that was not replied to within 24hrs so if you don’t get a response then check your spam or isp.

Most customers I have sent my cell phone number to. Sometimes I forget. Tonight I will send it to everyone just to make sure. From now on all purchases will be responded to with my cell number. I do not wear or carry my cell phone in the shop. I do check often and return calls promptly.

There are two reasons this product took off like it did. Price and Price. If it sold for $800.00 it wouldn’t sell as well if at all. Getting the price down took nearly a year. Built from aluminum it would have about $500.00 just in materials and I can tell you it would not be as good. I’m not sure solid iron would be better. Polymer / Concrete is the answer to a lot of problems in this industry. Our profit on these is low. I can’t afford to just throw material and time at solutions. Every cubic inch of material, every minute of time and every ounce of weight have to be accounted for. Even with the changes I was determined to maintain this price. That has taken a lot of thought, material management and time management.

We’ve had several requests for information on how to do this. There is a reason why you can’t find any DIY info. The companies doing it have a huge investment in the process, mostly in time. I plan on documenting and sharing our techniques in the future but it won’t be soon.

This material is a combination of formulas and temperature management. Small changes in either can make a big difference. One of the strengtheners we use works great in small amounts or small castings but put too much in a large casting and it goes nuts. Absolutely smokes in a matter of minutes. From our 80 degree mix temp to 190 degrees in about 3 minutes. Don’t know where it would have gone because I was throwing ice and air on it by then. (FYI – That is not a usable part.) 120 max. 90-100 preferred. After it has cured for 24 hrs it can be heat cured but in the initial cure, temps need to be kept down. We built a new casting bench to keep this between 90-100 degrees. I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent measuring temps, watching flow and documenting curing stats. The foundation of this base is the largest casting. That has been where almost all the time has gone. A piece that big cannot be poured all at once without a lot of internal cooling or using extremely slow curing polymers. We had to get the base casting down to 24-36 hours. We finally got there a few weeks ago.

thanks,
    Harlow
    http://cncbridges.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cell phone number sent to all customers. If you didn’t get it send me an email, use the contact link on the site or private message here.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    ... email is not as dependable as it was 5-10 years ago. Thank our politicians for that. Pass a law and hang the a**h****. I’ll tie the knot.
    JOOC, why is that the case?
    I know 'politicians' are responsible for many evils (like Iraq) but how did they 'do it' to email?

Pres
    p.s. congrats on your really neat table.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Politicians didn’t “Do It” to email SPAM. They just won’t do anything about it. Seems like the laws that are no-brainers they don’t have the since to pass and the ones that don't make since they do. If it doesn’t get them a Photo Opp on the Capital Steps they don’t care. The idiots in Washington want to dictate to Microsoft how long it should take a computer to boot because they say it is costing too much lost productivity but they don’t do anything about SPAM. That makes since.

There are simple solutions. First 10 emails everyday are free. After that charge 10 cents apiece. Set up registrations for legitimate mailings and newsletters to exempt or reduce fees. Any ISP letting someone send out 100,000 emails at a time should be fined.

p.s. I wouldn’t really hang a spammer but I wouldn’t mind slapping one around a bit. Wait! I just got another one. Maybe a bat is in order.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try gmail ... spam blocker/filter works great. Haven't lost a legit email, and never had a true spam (ie unsolicited ad) in my inbox.

Let me know if you want it, I have like 98 more invites left.

FWIW,
    Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Great spam filter

Harlow / Jay C I hope to get in line for my cncbridges x/y table soon. I had to give up my email Id after getting 70+ spams a day. Norton Internet Security for Win XP has an excellent email spam filter that allowed me to re-activate my email id after 5 years of non-use. Works very well, I mostly get no spams at all. Also try switching to Mozilla Firefox (WinXP) if you want faster page loads, and better control of applets loading without your permission. Install the extensions called "Adblock" and "NoScript" WinXP + Internet Explorer were conceived on a business model that depends on selling advertising/content to unsuspecting computer users over the internet by uploading java applets, scripts, etc. that install themselves and use processor cycles on computers that are bought and paid for by the end user. This in itself is theft of runtime. There should be a law to protect runtime rights of those who pay for and own the computer/cpu. Installing and running an applet without the owners unique, explicit permission should be a punishable felony, right up there with sending out 100,000 emails a day. BTW Harlow, I am able to place an order for the x/y table and extra x rails a soon as I hear back from you. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New X2 Base for Manual Use

DeWayne,
    This looks like a very promising product. I like my X2 mill but I get frustrated at the small table size, especially in the y direction. This table size will fit my needs perfectly. Your new table is made for CNC, but it may be some time before I can go that route. As it is my only mill, I will need to use this manually for a while. The built in motor mountings should make adapting power feeds easier. Since you are not using conventional gibs in your X and Y movements, do you have some built in (or easily adaptable) method to individually lock the three axes, other than holding the axes by restraining the lead screws.

Thanks,
    Charlie L

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ordered my x/y table!

DeWayne,
    I just paid for my x/y table plus z actuator, and an extra set of z axis rails. You should have the Paypal notice by now.
    Question: Do you think a .12 HP, 24VDC, 7amp / 6000 rpm BLDC motor can spin the leadscrews on your table without a reduction belt drive? My calculations show that the motor has about 300 oz/in of torque at 6000 rpm / continuous duty. Assuming the motor can overcome the static friction in the delrin slides and leadscrew nuts, it may achieve high rapid feed rates (700 in / minute).
    This is strictily hypothetical, but if I were running a large, small overstep toolpath using rapid machining techniques (example: frisbee injection mold?!) with 100s of rapids at 700 in/min, it seems that any heat generated by friction in the slides would be offset by the heat sink ability in your aluminum rails, acetal slide mounts, and composite tables.
    Your comments here would be helpful.
    regards,
    Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jay C – I use Mozilla and the SPAM blocker works great. I just can’t use it right now.

Charlie – Funny you should mention Y. I was tapping some Y rails today and realized not one person has emailed me about the X. I guess 26” is good. Everyone wants / needs more Y.

Locking the axis can be done with the glide adjusters. There are ¼” stainless set screws on each side of each glide to adjust tension. If it’s something you need to do often you would probably want to replace a few of the set screws with some thumb screws or maybe a ¼” bolt with a star knob on it. Doesn’t take much tension to lock them down.

Kestreltom – A reduction belt drive isn’t really doable on X. Not enough room. I considered belt drive with the leadscrews stationary. Would have been easier. I went this route with the screw following the table so the screw would always be covered. The X motor has to pass between the X rails. It could be converted to a stationary screw pretty easy but then you have to deal with keeping the screw clean or covered. You may want a higher tpi screw for your servos. Find the torque curve on those motors if you can. Like I mentioned in our correspondence. I’m not familiar with servos. How is their torque at 0 rpm compared to maximum? If you think you need a higher tpi screw contact me.

I don’t believe heat on the rails will be a problem. Even at 700ipm. You have to remember these are full support rails. X has 52” total of support. The weight is distributed over a large area.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to more pictures and video. Still trying to procure an X2 in my area.

Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DeWayne,
    How are the builds coming along? What's the current lead time for past orders placed mid December? Can't wait to get my setup!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jay C – Been wanting to do new pics for a few weeks. Wasn’t satisfied with the finish. Now I am. Pics soon. Start doing assembly instructions tomorrow. Will do a quickie on the site and put a link to it.

Asammons – Mid Dec orders should be good for mid-end of January.

Note: Had an email about the Y travel. The base kit gives 8 5/8” as is. New stock column mount should give 10 5/8” and increase Z about 4”. Our new from scratch column should give 12 ½”+ and increase Z a lot. The Y max is determined by the spindle to column distance. That distance is determined by the strength of the column and spindle mount. Longer distance = increased stress on the column. Our table has 20” rails and 16” glides on Y so it is more than capable of increased Y. The Y leadscrew was increased from 12” to 16”. So, stronger column and spindle mounts = more Y.

later,
    Harlow

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast