New X2 Mini Mill Base - Page 4

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: New X2 Mini Mill Base

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bearingman, Will post more info on our plans when we get caught up. First order is completing the rest of the Mini Mill options. Column options, enclosure, etc..

Later,
    Harlow
    http://cncbridges.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DeWayne,

As I wait for my upgrade to arrive, please provide the specs on the total operating envelope (clearance requirements) dimensions. I am replacing my work bench (butted to garage wall) and want to know what the operating footprint is so I can build appropriately to "contain" any swarf & cutting fluids.

Thanks,
    George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Harlow,

I just ordered your XY table, and plan to mate it to a Taig Z column on order from Nick Carter. Add a pair of Sherline rotary tables, a few Xylotex controllers, and I plan to have a Hellion Franken-mill with 5-axis capability. Wish me luck.

Best,
    John Bear Ross
    Hellion Productions
    http://www.hellionproductions.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gtschance – Mini Mill Working Envelope

Height - 36"
    Width X - limit to limit - 62" from edge of table to edge of motor mount. Need to add your motor length.
    Width X - Centered - 36"
    Depth - Back of motor controller on Z to front of base - 29"
    Depth - Full Y extended - 36". Need to add your motor length.

Couple of notes on the enclosure. One direction we are looking at on the stock column is a new mount, moves it up (more Z), and moves it back (more Y). Will also move the head rotation to behind the head where it belongs. Replaces the 2" spacer we have there. You may want to allow 6 inches more on height (Z) and 4 inches more on depth (Y). If you relocate your controller from the back of Z then you can reduce that amount on Y depth.

On containing swarf. One of the additions we did was add a bunch of mounting holes around the table. We used these to make a quick swarf guard and used some star knobs for attaching. Can install and remove them in a few seconds. These will also be handy for attaching a table extension if you need to work on something really long, tool trays or maybe a tool changer.

John Bear Ross – Thanks for the order. Sounds like a great plan. Hope your good at coding. Good Luck.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just ordered mine up as well. Sounds like you have some pretty interesting upgrades in the works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DeWayne,

Your base looks very attractive to this newcomer.
    But I'd like to start with a manual mill, then work up to CNC.

Am I right in saying that the 8 TPI leadscrews wouldn't be recommended for manual use?

Would 20 TPI be available as an option?
    Or would you not recommend this for manual use?

Thanks. Can't wait to see your column offering.

tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

tooManyHobbies – Turning the 8tpi wouldn’t be that difficult with a hand wheel but you wouldn’t have the resolution a 20tpi would give for manual use. If you plan on going cnc in the future you should get the 8tpi. If you want to stay manual then 20tpi is available as an option. The X screw is reversible so the handle can be on the right side if you want. Just leave the side plates off the motor mounts to add the hand wheel.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,

I wasn't worried about turning the 8tpi by hand.
    I was worried about the odd resolution: 0.125"/rev. Yuck.

So why is 8tpi better for CNC?

And how much would the 20tpi option be?

Thanks.

tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom, Haven’t found a reasonable price on 20tpi. Could use ½” 10tpi for the same price.

Lower turns per inch are better because step motors make their power at lower rpms. Higher tpi means higher rpm to travel the same distance.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,

10tpi sounds good.

What diameter should I look for, to mate it with a hand wheel?

For that matter, anyone know a good source of hand wheels?

tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The diameter would be the same. The 10tpi would have the stainless end attached, pinned and turned to 3/8”. LMS has hand wheels. McMaster.com also has them, Part # 6403K44. It would be pretty easy to make them, even without a lathe.

later,
    Harlow

Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody received their upgrade yet? If so bring on the pics and videos.....All the rest of us are curious for updates....

When architects and engineers fail ......my phone rings....go figure! LOL What next?

Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody received their upgrade yet? If so bring on the pics and videos.....All the rest of us are curious for updates....
    Agreed! I'm very interested in hearing how people like this unit.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any pics of the changes you've made Harlow?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Harlow,

This seems like a good deal when you compare table sizes and the cost of kits to attach steppers to these mini type mills. I have a large gantry router
    and want very much the capabilty of machining metals.

Could a machine of this type and a spindle rated a 1/2 hp mill .1" thick steel
    in one pass with a 3/16" miller?

When looking around at minimill conversion sites I have only seen Aluminum
    being cut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dropride – Will be taking new pics soon. It’s hard to stop production when I’m so far behind on orders. I think everyone will be pleased.

Practicalcnc – I don’t see where .10” steel would be a problem. I think you mostly see aluminum because it is so easy to work with. Steel in my opinion is under used. Our stock mini mill column re-enforcement will be made from steel and our from-scratch column will be made from steel. We have steel and rebar in our base. I think one material people need to look closer at is re-bar. Very inexpensive and when used right can add a lot of strength.

While I’m on here I would like to thank all those that have placed orders and especially thank those that I am late on for being patient. I have had contact with most and everyone has been understanding and supportive. This is not just a mini mill base to me. This is part of a project. A project I’ve been on for more than 3 years and a project I got behind on. There are a lot of reasons for the delays. When all is done I will try and document what the delays were and why. In brief, changes caused most of the delays. Changes in the product and the procedures for manufacturing. When you’re making something one off and you make a change then it affects that item. If you’re planning on making hundreds or thousands of an item then that change, no matter how small, has to be carefully looked at. How does it affect material, labor, casting and cost? Making forms takes forever. Well, it seems like forever. I scraped over two hundred man hours worth of forms in the last month. No problem. Damn things near perfect now. I don’t worry about lost time or lost money as long as I believe in the end result. This isn’t the first time I’ve been behind and I doubt it will be the last. My best friend told me several weeks ago to just ship them and make changes on future units. Changes had to made now so they are all compatible and all have the same expansion capabilities in the future.

Note: I have the stock column support nailed. Will be available as free plans, kits, or complete units pre-built. Basic welding is required for plans and kits.

thanks,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,

I'm no guessing guru, but I have suspected you were proceeding just as you've outlined. That is, I figured you were indeed working to smooth out the item's rough spots and make other improvements. I'll be patient, no problem there, although this last post of yours did alay some minor, umm, concern. My challenge is getting up speed with that cad/cam stuff. Good to see you on the zone. Stop by more often, Harlow!

Later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nine 16 – I guess I could have left everything as it was. I took a simpler approach to it then others. Worked for me so I was happy. Had no intentions of changing anything. Had already ruled out doing any type of re-enforcement for the stock column. Although the design was close I was still undecided about doing a from-scratch column. The enclosure however was planned from the beginning.

Now the stock column re-enforcement and the scratch column are finalized and on the schedule. The column mount area has been re worked so it’s more generic and will accommodate the mini mill, X1, X3 or any number of column designs someone might come up with. Expansion capabilities are built in. A table extension will be available for those that increase their Y travel. The ability to relocate the Y nut, a longer Y lead screw and longer Y rails are already included.

Learning Cad/Cam. The best way I have ever found to accomplish anything is to just pace yourself and take a methodical, no worries, I’ll get it done approach. I’ve learned a lot of subjects. You read and do and read and do and read and do and it just doesn’t make since. Then one day, voila, you’ve got it.

Wish I had more time to participate in this forum. Just don’t right now.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by John Bear Ross View Post
    Mr. Harlow,

I just ordered your XY table, and plan to mate it to a Taig Z column on order from Nick Carter. Add a pair of Sherline rotary tables, a few Xylotex controllers, and I plan to have a Hellion Franken-mill with 5-axis capability. Wish me luck.

Best,
    John Bear Ross
    Hellion Productions
    http://www.hellionproductions.com
    John, can you post the part numbers from Nick for the Taig Z/head assembly? Did you go with the ER16 and 1/4 HP motor too?

Using the Taig Z and head, what will your Y be as it doesn't look like it "hangs" over the table as far as the X2 head?

Have these started shipping yet, and another ping for a video and a progress update or some news from DeWayne (Harlow).

Jay

Last edited by Jay C; 12-16-2006 at 10:40 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progress update. All new development, changes, testing, forms and procedures are done. Just tying up some loose ends and organizing production. Organizing production means everything has to have a place, some of the smaller components have to be inventoried, certain procedures have to have dedicated work areas, assembly jigs built for accuracy and efficiency, etc........ Will get new pics asap.

Ping the video. I agree.

later,
    Harlow

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast