New X2 Mini Mill Base - Page 11

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: New X2 Mini Mill Base

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Can anyone help me to answer this? The x2 sieg mill I am getting from china is all in metric, hence metric leadscrew. Not sure how many TPI but I will be finding out by emailing them soon. But DeWayne's X-Y table will be using 8TPI leadscrew. Can I mix the inch leadscrew on the X-Y table and the metric Leadscrew on the Z-axis? Sorry if this question sound silly.

Probably is silly. Is there such a thing as a metric and inch leadscrew or they are both the same regardless of what measurement system its using. Again please excuse me if this is another silly question. I haven't a clue about this portion of CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alex - The stock X2 column doesn't use a leadscrew on Z. It uses a rack and pinion. You wont be using the stock rack and pinion. You'll be using the leadscrew that comes with our Z which is also 8tpi.

later,
    Harlow
    http://cncbridges.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    Alex - The stock X2 column doesn't use a leadscrew on Z. It uses a rack and pinion. You wont be using the stock rack and pinion. You'll be using the leadscrew that comes with our Z which is also 8tpi.

later,
    Harlow
    Hi DeWayne,

Thanks for your quick response. Now I understand. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DeWayne,

I have finally decided to go for the Xylotex 4 Axis Kit with Nema23 425oz.in stepper motor. Is this ok? The stepper spec is here.

http://www.xylotex.com/425ozin.htm

Shaft width/diameter is 0.25inch.

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alex – My short answer is no. For more info get the rated voltage for their motors and contact me via email. There are a ton of motor threads in this forum.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alex – I guess I’m not good with short answers. I prefer the 497 but it really depends on their rated voltage.

Given 2.5 amps from Xylotex you would have:

Motor A - 425 oz.in, ??? volts, 2.8 amps, 6.8mH, 1.5 Ohms – 8 wire
    That’s 425 x 89% = 378 oz. in.

Motor B 497 oz. in., 3.0 volts (based on other sources), 3.0 amps, 4.0mH, 1.2 Ohms – 4 wire
    That’s 497 x 83% = 412 oz. in.

Only if Motor A has a much lower voltage rating would I choose it.

The 89% and 83% come form the current fed vs current needed for max torque.

Someone straighten me out if I’m wrong. My motor knowledge is dwendling fast.

I use this power supply for a Xylotex.

later,
    Harlow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DeWayne,

I am really lost when it comes to current and voltage. Have no clue about which motor will be best.

Below is the spec for Keling stepper. Should be the same one as the Xylotex 425 oz.in motor. The spec is in the link below.
    NEMA 23 BIPOLAR STEPPER MOTOR 425 oz-in, 1/4” Diameter shaft with a flat
    KL23H286-20-8B (Dual Shaft)
    http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H286-20-08B.pdf

Should I go for the 497oz.in instead?
    OR
    Your website says you tested the 270oz.in with your table? Should I just go for this since its tested.

I really wouldn't want to go reading tons of notes on this forum. Too much info overload. My brain is about to switch off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Hi DeWayne,

I really wouldn't want to go reading tons of notes on this forum. Too much info overload. My brain is about to switch off.

All of us who are waiting for tables want you to stop bothering DeWayne so that he can make the tables that we have paid for and are very very late for shipment. It is ridiculous that we have had to wait this long and part of it is because people like you are too lazy to do the research we have all had to do. Go look the stuff up yourself or ask someone else and let DeWayne work on the tables that need to ship. If that overloads your little brain too much then you really should not be dabbling in CNC at all. Someone already asked you nicely to stop bothering DeWayne, now I am asking you to stop in a way you might understand. Knock it off.

Rudy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

as far as the motor question goes,i have three of the keling 497 motors on my x2 mini mill with ball screws,which even add more mechanical advantage,with 24 volts supply,drives similar to xylotex,the y do not perform as good as the 270 at higher speed,to run stepper motors at higher speed you need alot more volts.i switched to 48 volt supply and 201 geckos,let me tell that you can get scared at how fast and powerful they are,90 imp rapid
    stick with the 270 or even kelings 282,only my personal choice from my own experience,first i had started with 253 motors from deep groove,than tried the 497,wasnt happy until i went to geckos with 48 volts
    hope it helps you decide
    steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@Rudycuss Please do not speak on everyones behalf when you dont even know how "everyone" is feeling about this. I dont mind his questions and Dewayne has allready stated to feel free to ask him any questions cause they dont bother him. And I for one dont feel it "ridiculous" on the wait. I suppose you would be happy if he sent you out an incomplete untested halfass machine? I think not. You would just be upset about that as well. Patience my friend. If you cant wait get your moneyback and spend it somewhere else. What Dewayne doesnt need is people giving him more stress than he allready has. Taking a half an hour out of his day every few days to answer some questions isnt haulting or slowing production. And Please I mean this in the nicest way.

@alex- Please just go through all the posts and info on his site as we all have and if you cant find an answer then post. It would be much quicker for you to go through all the posts for answers then posting and waiting several days for an answer.
    And on the motor side Im using the xylotex 4 axis system w/ 269ozin steppers on my (Steele design) converted x2 and they work great.

"All just my opinion"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rudycuss View Post
    All of us who are waiting for tables want you to stop bothering DeWayne so that he can make the tables that we have paid for and are very very late for shipment. It is ridiculous that we have had to wait this long and part of it is because people like you are too lazy to do the research we have all had to do. Go look the stuff up yourself or ask someone else and let DeWayne work on the tables that need to ship. If that overloads your little brain too much then you really should not be dabbling in CNC at all. Someone already asked you nicely to stop bothering DeWayne, now I am asking you to stop in a way you might understand. Knock it off.

Rudy
    Who is this guy? one post and he is attacking me. The least you could have done is use you real userid. If everyone else feels the same as him, then i will stop posting here.

Last edited by alexccmeister; 03-10-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SORCHEROR View Post
    as far as the motor question goes,i have three of the keling 497 motors on my x2 mini mill with ball screws,which even add more mechanical advantage,with 24 volts supply,drives similar to xylotex,the y do not perform as good as the 270 at higher speed,to run stepper motors at higher speed you need alot more volts.i switched to 48 volt supply and 201 geckos,let me tell that you can get scared at how fast and powerful they are,90 imp rapid
    stick with the 270 or even kelings 282,only my personal choice from my own experience,first i had started with 253 motors from deep groove,than tried the 497,wasnt happy until i went to geckos with 48 volts
    hope it helps you decide
    steve
    Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.
    @alex- Please just go through all the posts and info on his site as we all have and if you cant find an answer then post. It would be much quicker for you to go through all the posts for answers then posting and waiting several days for an answer.
    And on the motor side Im using the xylotex 4 axis system w/ 269ozin steppers on my (Steele design) converted x2 and they work great.

"All just my opinion"
    Thanks for the info. I am still doing my research. And it is raising more questions. But no worries, I am sure I will find the answers

Downloads
    Uploads

Harlow,

Just some feedback on a statement you made early in the year about more interest in Y travel improvements than X...

I have ran many industrial grade machines with double the travel in X vs. Y, and only rarely had any use for it. Often because of of additional processing (deburring or inspection) needed after a part is ran, I have almost always ran one piece and then loaded a new one removing the first to do the additional hand work while the machine was cutting the next.

Yes, multiple vises or fixtures can be loaded and left in place, but in my not-so-limited experience this is not really done to often (other than leaving a 4th axis in place). Now that I am looking at machining for my personal small business on evenings and weekends that is definitely the same case.

The real nice thing about more Y travel is effectively getting a bigger machine for less buck! When you are looking at going past 20" in Y, to stay low in cost means looking at knee mill conversions generally, or spending much more than your set-up is going to cost (I'm sure you already know this). I need around 18" square cutting zone myself.

I am really happy to see an alternative such as yours! Kuddo's man!

THX,John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am still doing my research. And it is raising more questions. But no worries, I am sure I will find the answers
    Hi Alex:

If you need help I will do what I can to help you. Never mind what some people say. I have seen others here try to help people who need information. I think maybe some of the people who have been waiting a long time for their tables are getting a little ragged around the edges, it isn't your fault. If you feel better asking questions off this list, you can email me direct at:

barryjyoung@yahoo.com

I may not have a lot of knowledge about motors and controllers, but I have been a machinist and instrument maker for a long time and can probably help with any machining questions you might have. I did install a Xylotex 4 axis motor/drive box kit on my minimill with a CNC Fusion kit of ballscrews and motor mounts. That is about how far my motor and drive knowledge goes, but I have many links and might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows the answers.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Young View Post
    Hi Alex:

If you need help I will do what I can to help you. Never mind what some people say. I have seen others here try to help people who need information. I think maybe some of the people who have been waiting a long time for their tables are getting a little ragged around the edges, it isn't your fault. If you feel better asking questions off this list, you can email me direct at:

barryjyoung@yahoo.com

I may not have a lot of knowledge about motors and controllers, but I have been a machinist and instrument maker for a long time and can probably help with any machining questions you might have. I did install a Xylotex 4 axis motor/drive box kit on my minimill with a CNC Fusion kit of ballscrews and motor mounts. That is about how far my motor and drive knowledge goes, but I have many links and might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows the answers.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company
    Hi Barry,

A big thank you for your kind offer. I am currently outstation and can't do much research on the stepper motors and driver. I will continue once I get back from my biz trip this weekend on my research. I will drop you a message once I do have some questions.

And for the others on this thread. Please accept my apology if I may have hit some nerves with my tons of questions. Rest assured I won't be doing that as far as the X-Y table is concern. I understand 100%.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Alex:

It is my pleasure really. I am always happy to help if I have the knowledge.

I have the 269 oz/in motors and they made some really significant cuts for me when I had them on the original table with ball screws. I never saw the need for more. That is strange, I thought I had bought the higher rated motors, but now that I look at them, they are just the 269 oz/in. ones.

I never had them bog down or click or sputter or miss steps until I reloaded one of my ball screws with what turned out to be the wrong balls. Then X froze up solid. I was attempting to remove some of the backlash from the Nook ballscrews I got with the CNC Fusion kit because when I tried to interpolate a hole I got what looked more like a diamond.

Hope that helps some.

I am hoping to quit my "real" job soon after I receive my table from DeWayne to devote my time entirely to camera making. I won't quit until I have two months in a row making more money in my garage in 30 hours a week as I make at work in 50 hours a week. I currently work 5 tens at work, then come home and work two hours per day during the week and ten hours per day on the weekend.

It is truly amazing what having a CNC in the garage can do for you.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default An alternate table surface

Hello all:

I want to pass along to you what I have in mind for the table surface. You might want to do this too.

I purchased a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum tooling plate 14 inches wide and 40 inches long from a friend in the machine shop where I work. I wanted 3/4, but this was a deal at $80.

I plan to substitute the tooling plate for the aluminum strips. This is how all the industrial CNC machines I run are rigged. We call the plate a Sub Plate. The sub plate has a hole drilled every inch across and up and down like a grid. The holes are alternately reamed 1/4 inch or tapped 1/4-20. This allows you to put two dowel pins in the table and push a piece of stock up against them. Bingo, the stock is instantly parallel to the table axes. You can also precisely locate dowel pins in the base of your vise and never have to dial it in again. Also, that vise will be in the very same place every time over and over again. You also always have a handy place to put a clamp with a tapped hole always within two inches of anywhere on the table. You will never miss Tee slots after using a sub plate.

My main motivation for doing this is because I am mass producing my own product. I plan to make dedicated fixtures for each operation on all of the 40 or so parts I intend to make. Using this sub plate, I can change fixtures, change the program and press cycle start. I will put a dial in post on one corner of the table which will be permanent. In the top of this post there will be a drill bushing which I will dial in any time the machine is started up or if there is any reason to believe something has moved.

The most important thing is to be able to change from one part to another very quickly. I highly recommend Shigeo Shingo's book SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Die) to anyone interested in reducing set up time. This is the way Toyota reduced their body panel press changeover times from 3 days to under 10 minutes. It will be nice if I can figure out a way to swap fixtures without using threaded fasteners. I will try several cam type fasteners to make fixture changes tool-less. If I can get the fixture changes down near zero, then I don't have to keep any inventory, I can just make orders as they come in. My own Just In Time pull system!!!

Up till now I have been getting parts from three vendors, they really hose me on price per unit and I am sick of it. DeWaynes table makes it possible for me to manufacture my own parts far more efficiently than my vendors do and as a bonus, I will get paid for the labor I am now paying for.

Please email me at

barryjyoung@yahoo.com

if you have any manufacturing questions, or post in here.

Thank you.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@barry- I like this Sub Plate idea. I think Im gonna have to do this when I get my table. I will probly have a few questions when that time comes. Also I'd love to see some of the cameras your making. Just out of my own curiousity.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi wadoman:

I will try to rustle up some pictures.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OT camera pics.

Hello Wadoman:

These are pics of my prototype so far and what the prototype will look like when it is finished. The complete camera was made by Ron Wisner. Thanks for the interest and sorry if I have cause any inconvenience with my off topic posts.

Has anybody heard if DeWayne has shipped any more tables? I am now no longer working and need mine to make money with.

Thank you

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New X2 Mini Mill Base-08-01-06-copy-600-x-450-a   New X2 Mini Mill Base-wisner7x17_opena-jpg  

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast