Uploads
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks from me also, Gerry!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks for them CHEERS! Does anyone have a PDF plan of a Gibson Firebird that they could share ? would love this plan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Thanks a ton for posting that; I think I'm going to make a poster of it, lol, it's gorgeous.

I like how the designer set all the angled headstocks to 13 degrees; I'm finalizing my decision on that very issue in my own design right now, and this only encourages me to go with 13, instead of 17 or 14.

Thought the forum might also like John Catto's work, which is attached; it's very popular on a couple of LP forums, and the measurements are reputed to be very accurate. I'll be referencing the headstock profile in my own design, with a few substantial changes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downloadable Guitar Plans-lespaul59-ver10full-pdf  
    Last edited by Alvarado1357; 06-30-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: error in original post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Downloadable Guitar Plans

I have started a Telecaster(tm) style guitar and have the DXF and CamBam files up on my website at: http://www.cockrum.net/lutherie.html

Also, I'm looking for a 3D model of a Tele neck. If I can't find one then I'll try to model it myself.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really need plans for Gibson Les Paul for AutoCAD if someone have some please post them

Downloads
    Uploads

ok.... now you did it with that last pdf.... Im a woodhack drooling all over this CNC stuff and been playing guitar forever................ thanks!
    b69

Downloads
    Uploads

I designed this guitar over many years and when I finally started the build I cut the neck and was in the middle of cutting the inlays for the fingerboard when my machine went down. That was in march and I hope to be able to start cutting again in the next month to six weeks. I have complete 3d models and if anyone is interested i'll post them for download. Everyone would have to agree to one file format and give me about a week to get everything ready for transfer. I will list the plans but ask that they are not used for commercial purposes because this was the product of years of work and research. It is a 25 1/8" scale length compound radius neck. The body is carved front and back and all hardware is modeled. The design would have to be modified for your bridge because the bridge in the pics is one I designed and will make when i'm finally able to produce them again. Judleroy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners-jpg   Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners1-jpg   Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners2-jpg   Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners3-jpg  

Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners4-jpg   Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners5-jpg   Downloadable Guitar Plans-tuners6-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarado1357 View Post
    Gerry,

Thanks a ton for posting that; I think I'm going to make a poster of it, lol, it's gorgeous.

I like how the designer set all the angled headstocks to 13 degrees; I'm finalizing my decision on that very issue in my own design right now, and this only encourages me to go with 13, instead of 17 or 14.

Thought the forum might also like John Catto's work, which is attached; it's very popular on a couple of LP forums, and the measurements are reputed to be very accurate. I'll be referencing the headstock profile in my own design, with a few substantial changes.

The plans are okay, but they are not really that accurate, the reason being one of the guitars he measured to take the dimensions was a nockoff!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slpd View Post
    The plans are okay, but they are not really that accurate, the reason being one of the guitars he measured to take the dimensions was a nockoff!!
    Per Mr. Catto (from another forum): Lots here will be aware that I blueprinted out a number of 50's Les Pauls years ago and put my plans up on the net. I have no idea about the StewMac ones but I think mine are pretty damn accurate. They've gone through a bunch of revisions with I think the very last change being finally putting the angled tailpiece in there and a couple of other things like the tracing of a 59 guard. Backplate traces are from a 60.

Sorry, SLPD, I don't share your dim view of Catto's work, and I'll take him at his word that he developed his measurements from real instruments.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I dont know CNC (yet) but I've been around guitars since the 60's and in those days no 2 were exactly alike for lots of reasons, but suffice it to say here, the mfg specs were, uh, not quite as tight as they probably are today.
    I went to the intl luthier's guild conference outside Seattle, WA in the summer of 86, and sat through a full day of very technical analysis of ONE classical guitar. Fiber analysis, finish, precision dimensions, etc. That's reproducable.
    If we're getting into snobbery here, then I suggest you fork over the mega bucks for a verifiable "golden oldie". If not, crank up those tubes and wail....!

Downloads
    Uploads

nice plans. its a shame the SG is completely out of scale. i will probably scan one of mine this week or next.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blaster69 View Post
    ...I've been around guitars since the 60's and in those days no 2 were exactly alike for lots of reasons, but suffice it to say here, the mfg specs were, uh, not quite as tight as they probably are today...If we're getting into snobbery here, then I suggest you fork over the mega bucks for a verifiable "golden oldie". If not, crank up those tubes and wail....!
    Blaster: So true, so true. Back in the day, so much of the work was done by hand that some rather obvious differences exist between 2 guitars of the same model made on the same day. It's more than just the "hangover effect", there really was no emphasis on the kind of exactitude that currently pervades the industry.

Still, I don't think it's snobbery for people to dissect and even reproduce vintage designs. We are talking about building guitars here, and it's valid to discuss tenon length, for example. Or truss rod type. And when it comes to making a guitar that's pretty, it's a matter of taste, isn't it? I can't really fault a guy for wanting to make/buy a guitar that looks like his favorite vintage guitar.

I guess I'm just lucky in that I like one model of electric guitar above all others, and it's not subject to the kind of analysis that some of the more iconic models endure. I see the effort that other people put into replicating those designs, though, and I think it's pretty cool, and pretty interesting, and I respect those guys. Catto is one of them; Steve Rowan (RIP) was another.

Downloads
    Uploads

And when it comes to making a guitar that's pretty, it's a matter of taste, isn't it? I can't really fault a guy for wanting to make/buy a guitar that looks like his favorite vintage guitar...
    Yes, as a woodworker and NOT a machinist, I've always found wood to be very forgiving.
    As a guitar player I would agree 100% with whavever the player likes best is what s/he should strive for. My point was merely (ASSUMING correct scale and ratios) that a mm either way meant nothing in the early days. no disrpect meant!
    bl69

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blaster69 View Post
    And when it comes to making a guitar that's pretty, it's a matter of taste, isn't it? I can't really fault a guy for wanting to make/buy a guitar that looks like his favorite vintage guitar...
    Yes, as a woodworker and NOT a machinist, I've always found wood to be very forgiving.
    As a guitar player I would agree 100% with whavever the player likes best is what s/he should strive for. My point was merely (ASSUMING correct scale and ratios) that a mm either way meant nothing in the early days. no disrpect meant!
    bl69
    yeah, id not be to concerned with little things, as gibson themselves like to brag how each one is a little different, particularly neck profiles.

the SG in the first pdf though is out by a lot. the body is measured at nearly half an inch too wide, and over an inch too long. its also too thick. its almost as if they scaled up the whole drawing. this becomes important because the neck joint, bridge position, controls etc will be wrong. the neck angle in the drawing is also totally wrong.

at best its a loose guide for all the parts on an SG (and thats probably how it was meant to be used mostly anyway). just dont trace it and pop it on the cnc mill... you wont likely get a working guitar.

Downloads
    Uploads

Blaster, No offense taken at all. I'm just musing about the whole thing, right there with ya. I spose I was mostly commenting on SLPD's remark about John Catto. As a woodworker and player, I think you'll appreciate this:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luth...you-built.html

Some of Catto's work is in there, but there are lots of stunning guitars before and after.

Fish, I bet an accurate SG plan would be pretty welcome around here, lots of people love those guitars.

Downloads
    Uploads

OMG.....It's like Ive been in a coma and just woke up..... Catto's stuff is truly awesome as is some of the others. Its like after a SRV concert..... do I go home and practice, or just quit now????
    Re: SG's. I had a 62 LP (built about the time Les wanted his name off it) and I gotta tell you it was sweet... I sold my soul for a 335 but when it got stolen I found the SG/LP in a pawn shop. Wider, flatter neck much nicer than the early 70's POS's Gibson was putting out. If someone can get this guitar, I'll retire early and learn CNC and build it, or die tryin! thanx al 1357

bl

Downloads
    Uploads

Would anyone like free Corian Templates of your favorite guiotar? I will gladly malke a set fopr you and ship it free to anyone in the continental USA.
    I really need templatyes for new guitars. I have the 53 Tele and now really would like to build new shapes.
    Strats, Bass, Tele Deluxe....whatever...
    I need accurate DXF files for the Body, Neck, Neck Pocket, Pick Guard, etc... whatever you can get me, Ill give you a free set.
    Please email me at checkguitars@hotmail.com
    Soon as i get the first type, Ill respond you were first.....anyone after, will also get notification that they were not first.
    Im in Philly, if anyone needs some R&D too!
    Thanks,
    Rob

does anybody have soloist plans?

I think I need to enroll in an architectural engineering program. When I'm done, I can build bridges and get over anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast