First guitar (PRS style) all done

Thread: First guitar (PRS style) all done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First guitar (PRS style) all done

This has been a long time in the making.. honestly wasn't sure id ever made it to the end of one to be honest but here we are. Figured it was time to share my creation.

Its a prs model done in solidworks, 25" scale and 3 degree neck angle, 13 degree for the headstock. It has a double helix dna inlay down the fretboard using white and black mother of pearl and green abalone. The body wood is spalted mango on top and Jatoba on the back with mahogany on the neck. The body, neck, inlay and fretboard were all machined on a cnc. I had to drill the holes mostly manually due to the 3 degree angle on the body.

The inlay ended up being pretty insane. Over 200 tiny little pieces.

Anyways, on with the pictures!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First guitar (PRS style) all done-2016-09-25-10-07-24-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-2016-09-25-10-29-33-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170826_210148-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170826_220421-jpg  

First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170828_020653-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170829_054931-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170902_203030-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170910_103700-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First guitar (PRS style) all done

moar pictures

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170910_124450-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170918_115045-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-20170918_115057-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-camerazoom-20171023202605957-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Neck inlays, fantastic,
    Are you a microbiologist with a passion for woodworking and guitars?
    How do you finish the step cuts of the body and headstock?
    Did the cad come from a known source?

Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Neck inlays, fantastic,
    Are you a microbiologist with a passion for woodworking and guitars?
    How do you finish the step cuts of the body and headstock?
    Did the cad come from a known source?
    haha, i am in fact not a microbiologist I just happened to like the idea of a dna inlay. My next fret board is a space theme.

I only have pics of the 3d roughing sadly... lost the pics i took for when the 3d finishing was actually done. All the paths were generated in vectric aspire. After the roughing i just threw in a ballnose and it finished off that carve. The program itself makes it pretty simple once you have the model. The body shows it better as theres the stepped pics and the smooth ballnosed body.

I have to say yes to known source as I most certainly know myself. I got the plans from georgia luthier and turned them into the cad / model. I have personally never held a real prs custom in my hands so its difficult for me to tell how accurate it really is... I know it feels awesome which is all i care about really.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First guitar (PRS style) all done-l1f3soz-jpg   First guitar (PRS style) all done-pgir9uh-png