Need Help! Help with a guitar neck

Thread: Help with a guitar neck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with a guitar neck

I attached a file of a guitar neck and was wondering if I can get help with the neck and heal transitions. I used Rhino 3d. Take a look at the files and let me know what you think.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with a guitar neck

Have a look at this file.

Last edited by AMG Guitars; 08-03-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: can't seem to upload zip

Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Re: Help with a guitar neck

Ok I think I finally got how to attach a zip. But man! This site is slow and it keeps kicking me off the page every time I reply to a post, and then it repeatedly asks me to log on. What a pita!
    It's a lot easier for me to be designing guitar necks on cad and creating toolpaths to cut them.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/musica...ml#post2077482

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dvaskie127 View Post
    I attached a file of a guitar neck and was wondering if I can get help with the neck and heal transitions. I used Rhino 3d. Take a look at the files and let me know what you think.
    Yea, I took a look at your files. The only thing I could see was that the area around the transition is a little shallow.

There are a few ways to remedy this. One simple trick you could do is leave some meat in the cam just for those areas. Then later come back and do some sanding. A ball cutter is going to leave some tooling marks anyway and I usually use a rasp after machining the necks, followed by sanding and so forth. You can't expect that machine to just spit out a guitar. It's not going to happen. There's still a lot of handwork involved anyway.

The other thing you could do is to use a tangent arc or spline to smooth things out a little. Rest assured, if you machine it like that you will be rasping and sanding out the portion of that neck that lies between the two transitions. There's no doubt that you will see those two shallow areas when the cycle is done unless you leave some off in cam.

Transitions like this are a tricky thing especially if your neck has an angle. You may have to change your construction plane. I find that tangent arcs or splines tend to smooth transitions like this out nicely. The other thing you might want to consider is how you actually render the surface. There's differences between a linear or parabolic type of transition. You need to experiment with a few different types of surfaces to see which one you like the best.

But hey, I think you did a great job! Have a look at the video I posted. The neck transitions aren't perfect, but after a little rasping and scraping and sanding they come out ok.

~Alex