Inlay instrument

Thread: Inlay instrument

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inlay instrument

Best this be in another thread .
    The Interest on the Inlay side of things is a good topic i guess ,we all want our end product to have the makers mark so to speak .I was going over my set up to day thinking of all the methods others have posted and used the double sided tape with 1mm thick maple on a piece of mdf .
    I have noticed a few things if the 0.8 mm cutter starts to pick up the glue or tape it makes the cutter larger in dia or it flips it off you can see the effect in the pic ,so what I can see is it also moves the piece I am cutting sometimes not all .Then I thought why don't I do the letters or whatever in reverse or mirrored then I don't have to be a surgeon to remove it from the mdf I could flip it over glue in and sand the mdf off ( just another thought ).

So here is a couple of pics 25 mm high x 20 mm wide lettering experimenting all the time maple is forgiving more so than most other woods I hope every one throws their Ideas in it's a good way to learn,cheers John.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inlay instrument-inlay1-jpg   Inlay instrument-inlay2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inlay instrument

What size of endmill you used?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, not a bad idea! Similar to how they do v-carve style inlays. But.... how do deal with 'islands" that need to be removed.Maybe CAM those as a "pocket" rather than a 2D contour?

Would certain make wood inlays easier to with - don't have to worry about them breaking. Would also have solved the couple times I've dropped an inlay and broken it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The cutter size was 0.8 mm I was using that size so it fitted in around both pocket and Inlay .The double sided tape left some of the pieces still suck to the mdf I guess a scalpel to remove those ,I use a scalpel with 11 size blades a lot for Instrument making nice to clean a pocket with just have to be careful quite cheap to buy .I think a 30 deg tool or 20 ish might be OK in wood for small inlay might have to experiment more .

Downloads
    Uploads

@inMesh,

look at how they cut the wood inlays in this vid:

Won't work with small diameter though.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is Interesting ,the hand way to inlay was to layer the pieces and cut the shapes then one color would fit the other .The machine is great the selling part is good I remember looking at the Leigh dovetail jig years ago thinking what I could do with that thing glad in a way I held off I have so many distractions dust collectors I call them . They have a good system that's for sure smart build design selling to a retired audience most of the things I would just use jigs for .I like the small cutters .5 ,.8 and the 30 deg 60 deg ones I seem to use a lot trying a 1/2 " Turtle today for a Uke build bit of fun .cheers John.
    Inlay instrument-trt-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    That is Interesting ,the hand way to inlay was to layer the pieces and cut the shapes then one color would fit the other .The machine is great the selling part is good I remember looking at the Leigh dovetail jig years ago thinking what I could do with that thing glad in a way I held off I have so many distractions dust collectors I call them . They have a good system that's for sure smart build design selling to a retired audience most of the things I would just use jigs for .I like the small cutters .5 ,.8 and the 30 deg 60 deg ones I seem to use a lot trying a 1/2 " Turtle today for a Uke build bit of fun .cheers John.
    Inlay instrument-trt-jpg
    Oh yeah, I have a Leigh Jig, but haven't used it in years. Fond memories of mounting it on top a board across two ladders so I could dovetail the 6' sides of my wifes armoir!

But yeah, I also have the Leigh FMT high, which is incredible, but I only used it on 2 projects before the Festool Domino came out, and after that, there's no going back.
    Inlay instrument-img_2230-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inlay instrument-img_2230-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Festo yes a fantastic company so much Innovative gear,we have a company up the road Schmalz Vacuum Innovations verry nice cnc hold down gear .I was fooling with a Uke sound hole inlay today the wood for the Inlay is Aus Black-wood or Koa people say it is different we know it's the same .Then I routed out the top plate King William Pine Tasmania a little brittle and chips so I have to put strips in and outside no drama.
    Inlay instrument-in1-jpgInlay instrument-in2-jpgInlay instrument-in3-jpgInlay instrument-in4-jpg