Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: How I use CNC in acoustic guitar building

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How I use CNC in acoustic guitar building

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    @a-camera

Hadn't thought about Pom (delrin). Have you used it? Is it stable ?(flat for large pieces)?
    Hi,
    Here is a second answer, since I just came in after doing some cutting up of POM. I have a large sheet (22 x 300 x 500 mm) and remembered your question about flatness and I measured it... Well, the sheet I have is not that flat, it is bent about 1.5mm across the longer side but flat on the short side, so that sheet would not be good for a fixture unless it is faced. I also have another sheet, which is only 5mm thick and that is even worse. Note that I bought these sheets fairly cheap, and I think I was not given the most accurate information about the quality, but for my needs this is not a problem. Never the less, maybe next time I will return to my considerably more expensive Swedish supplier who sold me much better quality, even if it was also for a much higher price. The cheaper POM behaves differently even during the cutting and milling, compared to the more expensive one. They are probably manufactured differently. I am far from expert in plastics, but my guess is that one is cast under pressure (the more expensive one) and the other is extruded. Anyway, since I am making mostly very small things (15 x 20 x 22mm) so for me this is not an issue at all, but for making a fixture it definitely needs facing.

Corian is nothing I have ever heard about. Googled and it seems some sort of new material. I don't know how it is when machined, seen that they make kitchen benches and similar things out of it. If I ever make a vacuum fixture I will definitely check it out, though I have no idea where to buy in reasonable size... but thanks for the material name, will definitely look into it when needed.

Last edited by A_Camera; 03-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vrAWOz5YGX6_e3qtXg3YA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post

Corian is nothing I have ever heard about. G
    What country do you live in???? How I use CNC in acoustic guitar building

Corian (DuPont IIRC) came out in the 80s as the "new" (poor mans) granite.

It's cool because you work with carbide WW tools, and can get the stone look but cool things like integrated drain boards etc. another selling point was ability to sand out scratches. But at first only certified installers could get it since they did want amateur installations (glue ups) to give it a bad name.

Now you can get it along with scrap sizes at solidsurface.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    What country do you live in???? How I use CNC in acoustic guitar building

Corian (DuPont IIRC) came out in the 80s as the "new" (poor mans) granite.

It's cool because you work with carbide WW tools, and can get the stone look but cool things like integrated drain boards etc. another selling point was ability to sand out scratches. But at first only certified installers could get it since they did want amateur installations (glue ups) to give it a bad name.

Now you can get it along with scrap sizes at solidsurface.com
    OK, it is not new but new to me. Anyway, good to know about it.

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vrAWOz5YGX6_e3qtXg3YA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using the bone color for ukulele nuts and saddles works easy and polishes well and 300% cheaper than other products I have used Delrin for 30 odd years i have machined almost everything out of it so versatile .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    I have been using the bone color for ukulele nuts and saddles works easy and polishes well and 300% cheaper than other products I have used Delrin for 30 odd years i have machined almost everything out of it so versatile .
    Good to know, was about to start doing that too. I want to CNC some fancy nut shapes, but difficult to get bone in sizes you could clamp in a fixture.

I have used corian nut and saddles (purchased) in last two and they seem fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did try some resin with very fine glass blasting beads in but although ok not the same as Tusk I have in the past used brass ,nickle silver ,and wood .I believe if you can work it and it is hard and also solid though out the transfer of sound/vibration will be the same as the smoke and mirror stuff.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345