ok, good progress this week. I've been making sure i get out to the shop each night after work, even if only for an hour or two.
Time to start building a body. I've got an INCREDIBLE set of claro walnut that (IIRC) I got from Oregon Wild Woods (toneswoods.com)
I CNC'd some new spacers for the ends of the guitar mold so that I have a totally solid surface to press against when I glue up the
sides to the head and tail blocks and had the molds spaced out for maximum height.
The sides being glued up.
After I joined the back plates together, I put it on the CNC and ran program to cut the dado down the centerline for the inlay strip/reinforcement. I use the "creep up"
method here. I have a program with the measured dimension of the inlay strip, and then several programs incrementing at 2 thousandths additional each run. So I just
keep running the wider programs until the strip fits snug. This one ended at a total of 4 thou over and a perfect press fit.
Then I run the outline contour and leave tabs in it to give it strength until I get the inlay actually glued in (there was only .030" of joint left after the dado! In the future
I plan to have a vacuum based jig for holding the plate while it's cut.
Here it is with the inlay strip pressed into place.