Fret Slitter

Thread: Fret Slitter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fret Slitter

Hey there here is my take on the right angle fret slitter and kerfed lining cutter .I used an old angle grinder head added another bearing for support just waiting for the blades to arrive cheap and fun should save a little time ,it may need a flex coupling on the shaft to alleviate a little vibration all good.The ratio is 3 :1 so 5,000 rpm spindle around 1,500 rpm on the blade .cheers John.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fret Slitter-ra-jpg  
    Last edited by InMesh; 09-03-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fret Slitter

This is awesome - i didn't realize others had done this too! Nice design, John!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes this is a head I saw a few years ago a guitar maker in the US was using it to do fret slots and binding ,then the other day I thought hang it the old grinder I have will do and with most of my life away I went.
    Fret Slitter-rtangl-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Have blade will travel tested great a little more refinement and away we go.
    Fret Slitter-saw-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the clamping base down now all snug will be able to accommodate a bass fret board well on the way .
    Fret Slitter-fret-saw-jpg

Great design!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Works well I have a few jigs and the easiest way to set them up square is I run a shaft in the spindle with a small bearing along their edge , X or Y depending on the jig then lock them to the table.Simple and effective and thou for thou accurate .cheers John.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. How long does it take to cut a fretboard? and can you make the fret depths follow the FB curve?

I just finished my first FB and used a .025" bit from precise bits.com. But it takes about 20 minutes to do a single FB. The nice thing I was able to do a "faux bound" FB by stopping just short of the sides.

Fret Slitter-img_1007-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

The fret board cuts just on 6 min I was thinking about a contour cut in two minds about it,then looked at how much needs to come off and I believe about 2.5 mm depth should cover it .With a datum established I could do the Inlay before and then just 4 screws and a 1/2 " collet and off I go with the fret slots.There was an idea of running a cutter for the radius first for the overall fret-board shape but I have a jig for the sander that is pretty east to use ,bit more experimenting I guess also the Kurfed lining would be fun I am accumulating far too many jigs and fixtures...

Downloads
    Uploads

Kerfed lining attempt then I ran the band saw along them to create the Individual pieces all good fun
    Fret Slitter-kerf-jpg