Latest guitar builds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest guitar builds

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Latest guitar builds

Haven't posted much of all in this forum... I had built mainly electric guitars of Strat and Tele shapes. I had started building acoustic guitars about 6 years ago, but a few personal issues put that on the backburner. Last year I re-started exploring acoustic guitars again, with a little twist. Now I don't make every part on the CNC, but it does come in handy when I have to cut tops and backs. I also use CNC for my proprietary bracing ideas, as well as to slot my fretboards. Here are some examples:

Drednaught style guitar with narrower waist (for better playing comfort) out of Douglas Fir and East Indian Rosewood, with Maple and Walnut bindings, spalted Birch rosette

Parlor sized guitar, Western Red Cedar top, Curly Hard Rock maple carved back and bent sides, Philippine mahogany neck.

Fanned fret (multiscale) 000, Sitka Spruce top with figured Honduras Mahogany back, sides, flamed Maple neck

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Latest guitar builds

Very nice Louie! Wish I had the talent to make one of that quality!
    Keep up the good work.
    Bill

Last edited by ger21; 04-21-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill, thanks! Have three very satisfied clients. Like anything it takes practice (or more correctly, better hiding mistakes) and the more you build the better...

Downloads
    Uploads

Simply beautiful work. I can only dream to be able to do this..

My 2¢

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancut View Post
    Simply beautiful work. I can only dream to be able to do this..
    Thanks! But no dreaming necessary, just practice!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love the bracing !! Is that your own design ? Lovely work !!

I'm new here and only just contemplating my first cnc to do exactly what you have done there. I build mostly acoustics but finding all that sanding and chiselling gets harder as you get older so looking for some easier ways to do it now
    Regards
    Rusty

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice Louie!

What is your finish? Lacquer? If so, which brand?

Here is my blog site: AHS Band Boosters Guitar Raffle

Drop me a mail or something, I just got my CNC going for the same purpose, making parts for acoustics (necks, inlays, headblocks, bracing, jigs).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Very nice Louie!

What is your finish? Lacquer? If so, which brand?

Here is my blog site: AHS Band Boosters Guitar Raffle

Drop me a mail or something, I just got my CNC going for the same purpose, making parts for acoustics (necks, inlays, headblocks, bracing, jigs).
    Nice work! I use a 2-part automotive urethane, ACME Finish1 from Sherwin-Williams. Need good prep work but after that it's two light coats and done. I don't even use polish, I work my way to 5000 grit 3M Trizact pad.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome work, thanks for sharing!

I love the 5th picture down..........is that wood inlay around the sound hole??.......love the look of that.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CAMAUTO View Post
    Awesome work, thanks for sharing!

I love the 5th picture down..........is that wood inlay around the sound hole??.......love the look of that.

Cheers
    Thanks. It is actually rabbeted into the soundhole, or in other words, the soundhole has a ledge that the wood inlay sets into, and the wood inlay has a corresponding ledge. I then add purfling and binding. It serves a functional purpose as well, stiffening that area in conjunction with the small finger braces underneath. I believe strongly that any deformation or vibration at the soundhole is an energy leak, and hope that this directs vibrational energy back toward the larger soundboard area where it would help produce sound.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Thanks. It is actually rabbeted into the soundhole, or in other words, the soundhole has a ledge that the wood inlay sets into, and the wood inlay has a corresponding ledge. I then add purfling and binding. It serves a functional purpose as well, stiffening that area in conjunction with the small finger braces underneath. I believe strongly that any deformation or vibration at the soundhole is an energy leak, and hope that this directs vibrational energy back toward the larger soundboard area where it would help produce sound.
    I just posted a video of a proof of concept based on what I think Louie is describing. Turned out pretty well, so I'll be trying it on the two that I have in progress (almost ready to make the soundboards) :

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Kosh;1846382]I just posted a video of a proof of concept based on what I think Louie is describing. Turned out pretty well, so I'll be trying it on the two that I have in progres... [QUOTE]

Close... though I start with a solid ring of wood, and rabbet the bottom of the outer edge, so that it sits in a rabbet on the ledge of the soundhole, like a circular ship-lap... I have a build thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, but I've been in the process of emptying my house and moving so haven't worked on guitars in about a year...

Last edited by louieatienza; 03-06-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Beautiful builds!

Downloads
    Uploads

wow. thats craftmenship !
    How do you make the thin maple top and bottom ? How do you keep it a consistant thickness for wood that thin ?

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    wow. thats craftmenship !
    How do you make the thin maple top and bottom ? How do you keep it a consistant thickness for wood that thin ?
    The tops are all softwoods - spruce, fir... I also use western red cedar and sometime mahogany. The tops are not surfaced on a CNC, rather I rough resaw them on a table saw I modified to accept 12" blades and cut 8" wide boards in 2 passes. I then made a special platen for my 13" surface planer to clean the saw marks. They are then bookmatched, and profiled on the CNC. I do some thinning of the tops along the perimeter as part of my tuning process, along with the bracing.

For the back of the arched back guitar, the plate is actually thicker near the center, gets thinner near the perimeter, and then slightly thicker at the edge. This allows the back to move similar to a bass speaker cone, to produce a good low-end for such a small sized guitar.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kosh,

Here's how I do my rosettes:

First I start by cutting my rabbet or ledge in the soundhole, using a jig I developed for my Dremel (and soon my trim router, because the Dremel's base frankly sucks:
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0118-jpg
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0119-jpg

I use the same jig to make my "insert", which has a corresponding ledge underneath:
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0122-jpg

After I glue this piece into the sound board, I use the router jig to cut a channel for the purfling:
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0126-jpg

Finally I glue the purfling in with CA, then scrape and sand flush.
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0127-jpg
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0131-jpg

Here you can see the "rim" from the back of the soundboard. This allows the hardwood (in this case mahogany) to protect the softer spruce and also add a different look. I also saturate the mahogany with CA to further stiffen it.
    Latest guitar builds-kimg0145-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a pretty fair effort getting that kind of accuracy from a Dremel!

If you ever find you need something with a bit more grunt, less runout and designed for a longer workload, the Proxxon units are just superb.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Kosh,

Here's how I do my rosettes:
    Ah, cool. Very similar to how I've been doing it. Except that I have a Bishop Cochrane router base for my dremel.

It does work well, but takes a bit of fidgeting with the tune the diameter just right, and not always consistent on the channel depth. I suppose you could achieve that with a template setup jig, but now that I've done it with the CNC, that's gotta be the way!

I like your soundhole "binding" like that, will have to give it a go too.

Beautiful work Louie!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Beautiful work Louie!!!
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast