Let's Build a Strat

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Build a Strat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Let's Build a Strat

This thread will include everything anyone will ever need to CNC a Strat. Let us collect our plans, drawings, tooling ideas, g-code so anyone with a CNC and a few chunks of wood can build a Strat.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Works for me!
    I wonder where I can find a .0023 cutter for the fret slots?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing though- we probably shouldn't call it a 'strat', since that's a no-no.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R
    Works for me!
    I wonder where I can find a .0023 cutter for the fret slots?
    Since you gotta buy wood anyway... Might as well buy a pre-slotted fretboard from Stewmac or LMII as it's almost the same price as an unslotted one... I can probably provide a slotting service as I have access to the slotting equipment... But only if someone were to send me the wood, fee would be reasonable.

Oh, we can call it a Strat "Style" guitar with no problems... I actually have a decent set of CAD drawings for one... Though I'm not sure where they originated but they are acurate. I might consider redrawing them for the sake of not redistributing someone elses work.

I do have a nice CAD file of a Tele body that is fairly accurate that I drew myself from the original blueprints... I need to do a little clean up before posting it up.

Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hard to buy a fingerboard for a one-piece maple neck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ed,

The way I make my fretboards is I use a tiny bit, the one I use for cutting inlay as a matter of fact, to make a single pass across the fretboard to make not much more than a mark, I then use a fret saw to cut the actual slots. Essentially I use the cnc to mark the slots and a fret saw to cut them. I have the g-code to make the marks.

Ed, Corrie,

Is it allright with you guys that I post some of the drawings we have been passing around for others to comment on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go for it, Greg.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the DXF file of the body. It contains all of the cuts, both sides viewed from above. Also are some 3D views of the body. When all agree with the looks of the body, I can post the g-code for it. Ed has suggested machining the body as follows:
    1. Cut the outline of the body on the cnc and pop it off the cnc
    2. Cut the .5" rounds all the way around the body top and bottom on a router table.
    3. Put the body back on the CNC, top side up and cut all the pockets, tuners, knobs, trem, neck, etc...
    4. Cut the arm cutout.
    5. Flip the body over on the cnc table and machine the trembelo cut out on the back
    6. Cut the body releif on the back
    7. Take it off the CNC and sand it.

Ed, did I get that correct?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Build a Strat-body5-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-body6-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-body7-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-body8-jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep. But I don't think it's a half-inch roundover. I'd have to measure to be certain but it's most likely not any bigger than 1/4 inch.
    THe only issue really now is hold-downs. It might be smarter and easier for us to just program a stop in the G-code to let us move the clamps. We could just tell the code to cut around the clamps, but then everyone using the file would have to use the same sized clamps too.
    I'm open for suggestions on that one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking that we add two tabs and have the g-code designed so the tool never goes near the tops of the tabs. The tab near the neck would have a .25" hole for alignment aligned with the body centerline. There would be two other holes for clamping bolts. The second tab would be located in the trembelo cutout and would also have a hole for an alignment pin in line with the body centerline and two other holes for clamping bolts. the tab near the neck could be cut off later and the material in the tremb pocket could be hand routed out, it would not neec to be real pretty as both sides are covered up. The blank would be clamped to our work table and the very first g-code file would cut the six holes. They would be symetrical so the same clamp bolts could be used with the body is flipped over for machining on the opposite side.

What do ya think?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Build a Strat-bodypeg2-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-bodypeg1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That would work well for the body. We could even tell teh G-code to cut the neck tab down to about a quarter-inch thick as one of its last tasks, on the seam where it joins the body, so we'd have a really good alignment tool for the final cutoff

Downloads
    Uploads

Strats use a 3/8" round over

Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by anoel
    Strats use a 3/8" round over
    I think that's too bug, but I'll measure it before I cut to be certain.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got the facotry blueprints for a '62 model in the book "The Fender Statocaster" and the blue prints actually state 7/16" so the 3/8 that I've been using is actually a bit small... But after sanding can't tell the strat body that I buit from a factory one.

Nathan

Downloads
    Uploads

Here I was thinking Strativarius (sp?) and you guys are thinking Stratocaster.....oh, well....call Nebulator....sorta a take off nebulae....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

7/16th diameter, maybe 7/32nd raius I'd believe in a heartbeat.
    But what do I know about it anyway? Mine's a lot closer to 1/4 than 3/8.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gregmary
    I am thinking that we add two tabs and have the g-code designed so the tool never goes near the tops of the tabs. The tab near the neck would have a .25" hole for alignment aligned with the body centerline. There would be two other holes for clamping bolts. The second tab would be located in the trembelo cutout and would also have a hole for an alignment pin in line with the body centerline and two other holes for clamping bolts. the tab near the neck could be cut off later and the material in the tremb pocket could be hand routed out, it would not neec to be real pretty as both sides are covered up. The blank would be clamped to our work table and the very first g-code file would cut the six holes. They would be symetrical so the same clamp bolts could be used with the body is flipped over for machining on the opposite side.

What do ya think?
    greg, I think by using the tabs you can machine the guitar completely in two set-ups, one front and one back.

I'll use the back as an example. Assuming the blank is prepped with tab holes installed and locator pins on the cnc to match.

1. Drill any through holes necessary.
    2. Route any pockets.
    3. Mill profile to .060" less than halfway through with an endmill.
    4. Use roundover bit to cut all areas that can be cut with cnc
    5. Flip blank and repeat for the front side.
    6. Re-cut profile with endmill past 50% depth of the body everywhere
    except the tabs.
    7. Remove blank, part tabs off and sand.

Mike

ps http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/m...oads/index.php

this site has several plans.........you can tank ynneb for this one!

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg, what software are you modeling in, Is it possible to get a parasolid, or iges of it., I use UG,Solidworks and Mastercam. I showed the other thread to my 2 daughters last night, and they have not quit asking me to build them one each.
    Any info would be apprectiated.
    Thanks
    Ken

Last edited by MoldMaker; 02-18-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got a chance to work a little on the neck today. I want to finish the neck model to make sure the neck and body fit together well. I'll revisit the neck pocket in the body once I am happy with the neck.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Build a Strat-neck1-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-neck2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg..
    I was reading thru your cutting sequence. Looks like it should work OK. I have done it a bit differently here. I Put a 1/4 in hole thru the body in the neck pocket right on the center line. Every cut on the body is referenced to that hole. Since I made the bodies from two pieces, it is easy to find the center line. I then screw the body down thru the waste to a piece of scrap. I reference the machine to the hole and then run down to the other end and pick up the center line. I cut down almost all the way thru leaving the body attached to the waste with a very thin section. If cuts are required on the back, I unscrew it from the scrap, turn it over, screw it down and repeat the process. When done, I bandsaw the body from the waste thru the thin section. I then run the router around the body removing the remaining section and putting the radius on the edges. Just another way to skin the cat..
    Larry

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast