Let's Build a Strat - Page 5

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Build a Strat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Greg, can I get a copy of the DXFs for these? I migth want a 12-inch radius and a couple other small changes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure Ed,

A .DXF is a 2D drawing file though, How would you use it to cut this 3D piece? Are you looking for the .DXF of the top view of the neck?

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WHat are you using to source the G-Code conversions for these pieces?
    THat's what I think I'll need. I'm also going to have to convert it to use Y in the long distance, but that I can do after it's gcoded, I think.

How long does this take you to run on your machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also going to have to alter thngs dramatically because I don't have 28 inches of travel in any direction. My machine is 17 in the X and 24 in the Y and maybe 3.5 or 4 in the Z. I'm able to do a full fingerboard for a guitar or a bass, but in order to do this sort of one-piece neck I'm going to have to split it up into two cuts- the fingerboard and the headstock. I'll just have to improvise a way to reverse the x/y and then rotate the workpiece to do the headstock, that's all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ed,

Will the 28" piece fit on your machine? Can you get the bit to all of it in two operations? I can make you two different tool paths for each operation and I can swap the y axis for you. Did you want to make a test cut on some scrap? What point do you want 0,0,0 to be or do you not care?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

THe 28-inch piece will FIT but I only have 24 inches of TRAVEL in the Y direction, So my thought was I could do the fretboard radius, then swap the ends of the neck, then do the headstock . I usually like the 0.0.0 to be lower left touching the machine, so that when you are looking at it with the Y axis going away from you and the X axis going left to right, the head is all the way toward you and left, and touching the surface of the table. there are no negative numbers in the GCode this way. But I could probably deal with a Part-relative zero too as long as I know where to put it

It might be easier for you if you send me the drawings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ed..
    A strat type neck is only about 25 inches long plus whatever tabs you are going to add. Why don't you just put the piece on the diagonal of your machine since you have approx 29 inches of travel there?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's actually not a bad idea. Now why didn't I think of that?
    Um... I think I know why I didn't think of it- 'cuz I dunno how to do it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would just draw a 24 by 17 rectangle and rotate the part until it laid on the diagonal. The CAM program doesn't care how it is oriented. I would love to have that large of a work envelope. My Bridgeport has only 18X by 12Y so I can't cut all the way the outside of a guitar body. I have to do it in two parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have the drawings, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ed,

I see what you mean about the Strat neck not having the overhang on the last fret where the body meets the neck. What is the history on this and why would we do it one way or the other?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Build a Strat-nail1-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-tail-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have finished the neck model and it is ready to be machined. Who ever wants g-code let me know and I will post it for you. I need toknow the size of your machine, the tools you want to use and any limitations as to zeroing out your machine. I want to know who is going to make one first.

I made the slot in the back for the truss rod, how do you drill the hole where the truss rod exits on the top of the headstock?

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's Build a Strat-neck1-1-jpg   Let's Build a Strat-neck1-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The older Fenders, the vintage ones, had 21 frets. THis was - and really still is- plenty but some people don't think so and thjey add a fingerboard extention onto their fretboards and move the neck pickup back a bit. Truth is, either way is acceptable, but if I'm going to make a strat I'd prefer a vintage-type.
    I'd really like the drawing s in a format I can manipulate them in , because my configuration's not going to be anywhere near the same as yours , and I might want to make some small changes to the designs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The older Fender necks had the adjustment for the truss rod at the body end of the neck. If you don't want to do that you can rig a fixture tha tholds the neck blank down and centers a drill with a long bit chuicked into it where it needs to be.

If you won't give me the drawings, then I'll need you to rotate the stock in the drawing so that it fits into 17 ( x) by 24 ( y) rectangle.

I'll do a first 'rough draft' as soon as I get files that will work for me or the source drawings so I can alter them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ed,

what format would you like the drawing in?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rhino if ya got it, otherwise dwgs. Any chanc eI can get the LP stuff too? THat's my strongest interest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do have rhino, I'll convert the file for you, but I'm a bit rusty. I work on it tonight. I can easily make g-code for you at an angle for your machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate it. I'm not even sure how to rotate teh stuff in Rhino. But I really need ot learn to do this stuff and not have to depend on others

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gibson full size solid bodies have generally had 22 frets since the mid 50's. Fender had 21 on the tele and strat. When SuperStrats ( single, single, humbucker pickups, locking trem, pointy peghead, smaller body)became popular in the 80's with that Floyd Rose style tremelo, most necks with that scale length added the extra fret. Since that style guitar is not as popular these days, the extra fret is not as common as it was then. I'm not a Fender guy, but I think you can still get those features on a few models. Perhaps the Richie Sambora model?

Downloads
    Uploads

No.. No.. No.. the 22nd fret is still "extremely" popular... the lack of it drives me NUTZ... Note that all modern Fender Strat guitars have it. Only the reissue models do not. (They don't include it on the Mexi Strats to drive guys like me to buy the American made product) Because I will "not" buy a 21 fret guitar...

Floyd Rose trems Rule BTW...

Nathan

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast