MutiCAM weird operations

Thread: MutiCAM weird operations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MutiCAM weird operations

I have a multiCAM 1000 with toolchanger and for the most part the machine is great. We use the machine about 35 hrs a week But a couple of times a week it just loses its mind. Maybe its moving and it just continues to move in that directions until its hits a PHYSICAL stop, twice today it lost its position and tried to drive itself through the table, burned the crap out of the wood it was working on from the friction of the Z axis trying to drive the tool through the project! When this happens it disregards all MAX Depth settings etc..... I have had everything apart a few times and cleaned and reseated everything but of course its random so its been impossible to track down. Most of the time just shutting iit off for an hr or so helps.... but its not likely anything overheating because it acts up first thing in the am sometimes too, before its even really warm in the shop... doesn't anyone have any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks
    Mike

Similar Threads:
    www.classicplayfields.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MutiCAM weird operations

That sounds like a firmware issue with the MultiCam computer. Seems like the pulse generator is getting caught in a loop and the processor is ignoring everything else, including the limit interrupts. I guess I would be on the phone with MultiCam Monday morning.

Downloads
    Uploads

How old is this 1000 series machine, there were some quirks with the older machines.

Namely if your machine transformer is tap at actual, lets say you have 212 and your transformer is tapped for that move it down to the 208 setting on the transformer.

Are you grounded

and Have you cleaned the cabinet and filters, are your cabinet fans coming on to keep the cabinets cooled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Jim;

The machine has always done it, it's nothing new but like I said when it happens twice in one day its a pain, MultiCAM Canada is not really helpful in the least. I know they are a for profit companybut man they are hard to work with because the aim always seems to be to milk every last dime. I have called twice and each time they wanted a credit card before they even connect me to tech support, when I did get to a guy, he spent the first hour having me send pictures of my setup which wasted the entire hour I had agreed to pay for..... zero questions answered! So let me tell you MultiCAM is a REAL last resort.

The machine is old now for sure. I think its a 2007 model and like MCP says, its always had its quirks :-) We often get different errors "out of Bounds", communication errors, etc. Resetting the unit clears them and we're good to go. I know the machine is grounded but it's never been a real issue unlike my Shopbot that just can't get enough ground. I'll make sure we add an extra ground to see if that helps. Its winter here and dry, so static could be an issue.

I'll check the transformer and move it to 208 if it isn't already.

Thanks Guys
    Mike
    CLASSIC PLAYFIELD REPRODUCTIONS

www.classicplayfields.com

Downloads
    Uploads

This may be a case in that driving a ground rod and connecting to the frame of your machine may be your friend.