Newbie Need Help MultiCam44

Thread: Need Help MultiCam44

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Help MultiCam44

Hi, I have an older MultiCam 44. I bought it with the original electronics not working. I have installed servo motors in place of the original stepper motors. I am using Mach3. I have successfully determined the Mach3 steps per unit (inch) for the X and Z axis. The Y axis seems to be a bit of a problem.
    I am hoping someone would be able to give me the steps per inch or the pitch. I am not able to calculate it, too many cogs and belts for this rack and pinion setup. The belt is an XL250. As far as I can tell the top MultiCam gear has 14 notches. Any help is appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Help MultiCam44

You can easily calculate this, you just don't know how yet.

If it is kinda close:

1) mark the position of the axis
    2) tell Mach3 to move the axis 24 inches.
    3) measure the actual distance moved
    4) divide the actual distance by 24
    5) multiply the current steps / inch by the answer above
    6) plug in the new steps / inch figure.
    7) test again.
    8) If the error is greater than it was in (3) above, plug in the old number of steps and run it again
    but this time divide 24 by the actual distance. Then goto (5)

You may have to do this a couple of times to get it exact. You should do the final testing using a dial indicator to do the fine tuning.

If it's not close, just plug in a different steps per inch and try a quick distance test until it's kinda close (within a couple of inches or so in 24 inches commanded position)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Help MultiCam44

Thanks 1 I'll give it a try. I tried to add more proximity sensors since I saw there were two on the original machine. Turns out they will work, but must still be wired thru a relay to give hard commands to Mach3 and stop the servos. Still trying to get it together. Must have had some software limiits in the original. Bilby