Need Help! Newbie Tuning Motors with Mach3 and Gecko G540 on a CNCox

Thread: Newbie Tuning Motors with Mach3 and Gecko G540 on a CNCox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Tuning Motors with Mach3 and Gecko G540 on a CNCox

Dear All,

This is my first post in many years. I have built a CNC ox and I have been trying to tune the motors with Mach 3 and a Gecko G540 since March of this year (2016).

I can get the motors to move the axis but x and y axis will stall, switch direction for no apparent reason. The Z axis will only go down but not up. I am running Xp 32-bit. I have tried the onboard parallel port and a new PCI Parallel port with the same problems recurring. I have tried two different computers. I am extremely frustrated below is where I stand currently.

Mach 3 with xml file downloaded for Gecko G540.

X,Y and A axis have Nema 23 with 20 tooth GT3 pulleys on GT3 belts
    Z Axis is a Nema 23 with a TR8x8 4start Acme thread screw attached via aluminum coupler

Nema 23s ar 1.8 degree step angle Rated at 2.8 A 2.5-2.6A per phase

Current Tunning for the Axis is below

X and Y 30 steps per mm velocity 1999.8 mm/min Acceleration 1000 mm/sec/sec
    Z 800 steps per mm, velocity 199.98 and Acceleration 10 mm/sec/sec.

No matter what I have tried the motors either stall or erratically move in one direction and change to a different direction by themselves. This is my first venture into CNC. The physicall build went well the electronics and tuning have been nothing but frustrating. I appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone can provide.

Thank you,

PiperCNC

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Tuning Motors with Mach3 and Gecko G540 on a CNCox

It sounds like a wiring issue more than motor tuning. It could be that some of your wires are not connected, or only connecting intermittently, or some of the connections are crossed. Putting together the G540 requires some crimping of pins onto wires that needs to be done right. Post pictures showing all the wiring connections, and maybe someone here will be able to spot an error.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with awerby. Probably wiring. Try disconnecting your motors from the machine and running them free on the bench. If they start to move and then stall then you are probably trying to spin them too fast. Also, your acceleration looks to be set really high. Start out much lower (around 5-10 mm/sec/sec). Slow your velocity down too until you know how fast you can go without stalling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by piperCNC View Post
    Dear All,

This is my first post in many years. I have built a CNC ox and I have been trying to tune the motors with Mach 3 and a Gecko G540 since March of this year (2016).

I can get the motors to move the axis but x and y axis will stall, switch direction for no apparent reason. The Z axis will only go down but not up. I am running Xp 32-bit. I have tried the onboard parallel port and a new PCI Parallel port with the same problems recurring. I have tried two different computers. I am extremely frustrated below is where I stand currently.

Mach 3 with xml file downloaded for Gecko G540.

X,Y and A axis have Nema 23 with 20 tooth GT3 pulleys on GT3 belts
    Z Axis is a Nema 23 with a TR8x8 4start Acme thread screw attached via aluminum coupler

Nema 23s ar 1.8 degree step angle Rated at 2.8 A 2.5-2.6A per phase

Current Tunning for the Axis is below

X and Y 30 steps per mm velocity 1999.8 mm/min Acceleration 1000 mm/sec/sec
    Z 800 steps per mm, velocity 199.98 and Acceleration 10 mm/sec/sec.

No matter what I have tried the motors either stall or erratically move in one direction and change to a different direction by themselves. This is my first venture into CNC. The physicall build went well the electronics and tuning have been nothing but frustrating. I appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone can provide.

Thank you,

PiperCNC
    This post should be in the Mach3 or Gecko board.

Neal