Sell multicam controller,pentant, perhaps motors,drivers or maybe even the whole cab

Thread: Sell multicam controller,pentant, perhaps motors,drivers or maybe even the whole cab

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sell multicam controller,pentant, perhaps motors,drivers or maybe even the whole cab

I have a 2001 MG304 with steppers and M24 controller(new pendant) and im thinking of retrofitting (eventho i really like this controller) because im considering putting an ATC on it and I feel it would be easier for me to handle the new controller moving forward. And ill probably go with AC servos, because its fun and I love this machine. These steppers really move tho, see video.

So... My old stuff, possible to sell to recoup some cost ? Ivve seen some silly prices on ebay but I cant imagine they sell at those.

Know of anyone who might be interested ? And know what I could get for the stuff ? Im not really into selling on ebay unless it comes to that. I have a couple jobs lined up that I need to finish before taking it apart tho.

Youtube video of me cutting alu couple days ago.

Any and all help really appritiated!!

And oh, yea im in Sweden btw.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ack1; 09-20-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sell multicam controller,pentant, perhaps motors,drivers or maybe even the whole

Multicam did offer automatic tool changing with the MG series machines, so an upgrade path IS possible even without replacing the controller. The main problem with swapping a machine over to ATC is the cost. You're looking at a new spindle, new inverter, plus adding air lines and solenoids to open and close the chuck as well as providing purge air. Multicam might require you to do the boardset upgrade from M24 to RPD24 if they help you with an ATC upgrade.

I love those old MGs, they're built like battleships.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sell multicam controller,pentant, perhaps motors,drivers or maybe even the whole

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCeiling View Post
    Multicam did offer automatic tool changing with the MG series machines, so an upgrade path IS possible even without replacing the controller. The main problem with swapping a machine over to ATC is the cost. You're looking at a new spindle, new inverter, plus adding air lines and solenoids to open and close the chuck as well as providing purge air. Multicam might require you to do the boardset upgrade from M24 to RPD24 if they help you with an ATC upgrade.

I love those old MGs, they're built like battleships.

Yeah I was able to score a used spindle in seemingly great condition off of another multicam, so i also got the solenoids, tool racks, stationary tool height setter and what not. Its air cooled (compressed air) but i got a watercooling setup coming in the mail. Ill do alot of engraving at high rpms and my compressor is a joke. I want to feel comfortable leaving it over night.

I have looked a bit at what it might take to teach this old controller that it now has an ATC and its definitely possible, might not even be that hard but Im probably jinxing it by saying that. If you take a close look at the picture of the controller there are two red relays and those are for spindle on and mister, looks like id just add two for TC chuck and TC blast and then teach it what mcodes activate those pins. I can do that through jobserver. I might need to change some value in the nvam file like Isatc=1 instead of 0 or something like that, dunno.
    Then id need to teach it where the tools are located, I will probably change tools by hand to start with, I have a few jobs waiting and I need to think about where to put the tools, dont want to limit the workarea.

And yes this thing really is built like a battleship, thats the best part of it. I loooove this machine. Sure its got a ridiculously long acme screw on the gantry thats going to limit speeds if I go servo but who knows, some day there might be rack n piniondrive there aswell.

Im back and forth about changing out the controller, having looked it up its a pretty straight forward procedure, but i really like this controller aswell. especially the pendant. Tho i cant imagine this controller has the ability to probe for centers of holes or probe edges for part alinement but i could be wrong.

EDIT:

Found this: http://www.ketele.com/file_downloads...20FlashRam.pdf
    So theres that. I might add that anyone reading this and thinking about messing with those parameters, be very cautious.

What i would love to have is the laser digitizer "rapid shape" thing. But I cant find it anywhere.

Last edited by ack1; 09-25-2016 at 03:27 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapping to ATC requires a board software update. the ATC software will add a menu option that lets you calibrate tool lengths, set certain tools to use the mister and some to use the dust hood, that sort of thing. Once you have that, I think you just need a G00 tool command (G00 T1, for example) and it will automatically go to the positions in the flash, change tool, and use your calibration values. I'm not sure how you would do it without the board software change. It's awesome that you managed to score the new spindle and all of that already, though. Makes life a lot easier for doing this sort of upgrade.

I love those gigantic ball screws. Not fast, but they have so little backlash that your Y accuracy is very solid. My own Multicam (an older 5000 series) has rack and pinion, but I will probably pull them and swap it to helical rack and pinion down the road.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah ok well ill see what I can find regarding that software update, or go to another controller. I do have another work around to try, ill report back with how that turns out.

About your machine, do you have servos ? Incase you do what model are they ? Im looking at some 750w dmm-tech servos. Ill probably not get them but I really really want to. Been spending a bit too much lately.

If you one day do get helicals let me know what type and where you got them

Last edited by ack1; 09-25-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine does have servos, I will have to take a look and see what model they are (I think MCG), but I won't be around for a couple weeks so no way to look.

I don't know who your multicam distributor is in Sweden, but they might be able to help you with the necessary software changes. There actually isn't all that much that needs to be done on the multicam side, it's just getting someone to do it for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have found this thread of interest. I just made a deal yesterday on a Multicam MG-204 with the ATC. I am really impressed with this machine. The build quality is first rate.

The company I purchased it from will be getting in their new machine in a couple of weeks at which time I will get it hauled to my shop. I plan on going through and freshening things up a little and so forth. Right now we will be prepping the area where it will be installed.

This will be our first CNC router. We have looked at so many different brands of new and used. I had a really honest reputable dealer turn me onto this deal without being the middle man. I'm very happy to say the least.

Now, this thread has caught my interest since it discusses some change outs or upgrades. My MG has had some hybrid changes made to it and I am thinking of doing some others. It has had the controller changed to Mach 4 with Vital Controls. the spindle has very recently been changed from a 7.5 hp Columbo to a 11hp PDSColumbo. I like the idea of the PDS spindle allowing for a removable C axis. In the future I too would consider changing to servos and knowing more on the idea of changing the R&P to Helical rack.

Downloads
    Uploads

That machines cuts aluminum like butter. Very well built machine, seen lots of these MG machines with tool changers and everyone just loves them.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you still have this to sell? I would be interested.

Thanks,

Dustin

Downloads
    Uploads

Well its only been a couple years or so but I finally today started the retrofit. You know... Life.

Anyway this is alot of fun and the multicam original stuff will be for sale for real this time

Check out the comparison of the old motors and the new in the end of this video

Downloads
    Uploads

EDIT: wasnt allowed more than 15 pics so here is a link instead.

https://imgur.com/a/wMPL7br

I almost got all the new electronics into the cab so hopefully wire it up this weekend. Im giggeling constantly, so FUN!

Last edited by ack1; 05-31-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

A bump just to let folks know that the stuff is still for sale and that the new gearboxes,pinions, mountplates and brackets will also be for sale around february because im going ballscrews on the machine. Looooong ones with rotating nut. Hella excited.
    And yes bit of a waste replacing all this already but the rack on my machine is worn, specially on the right side and instead of buying new expensive helical (integrated)racks I went for ballscrews.

ps. the pinions on the original multicamstuff are good since they were replaced.