Newbie MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE

Thread: MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE

Hi guys,
    I bought an old (1998) Multicam 1200x1200. The machine seems solid and goes OK, although i wish it had some sort of homing sensors. My main gripe is the ancient software, Toolpath and CASmate, that run on Windows 98.
    As the carcass of the machine is sound I was wondering what it would take to use it as a base and replace the electronics for a more modern system that would allow me to use:
    1- More up to date computer and software, I used Mach3 and Cut 2D with my previous CNC6040. and
    2- Install some kind of homing sensors.
    I know very little about this kind of thing, but terms like 'breakout board' and 'Gecko drivers' etc are a clue to me that these might be what I would be looking out for.
    Any help would be great, even to point me in the right direction.
    MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE-m1_0019-jpg-jpg
    Cheers
    Pari

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE

Did you get the MultiCam working?
    I re-did my controller and software because like you my MultiCam was bought in 98. I built a Planet CNC controller and use Vertic "V-Carve Pro" software to design my projects. Works great and I the Planet CNC software is like day & night from the old operating software.

Jim Markevitch
    Grapevine, TX

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I haven't done anything about it yet. I'm still hacking it out with the old software and original hardware. I am still keen to do an upgrade, but though I would wait a bit longer as the machine is earning it's keep and that will justify the expense of upgrading.
    Since your reply to this thread, I've been checking out and researching the Planet CNC info out there.
    I'll keep on researching it. I'm certainly interested on a possible cheaper upgrade than what I was thinking about with Gecko 540 drive and Smoothstepper setup,but for me it is really important that it's going to be easy to do by myself and that there is lots of support, as I'm not electronics savvy. There are solutions here in Australia that give support. But the reviews I've seen so far seem very positive about Planet, so I'll keep on looking at it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim,
    So I've been looking at the Planet website. What components did you use to upgrade your machine? I notice there is n Ethernet drive, did you use that or are you using USB. I'd like to here how you went about the upgrade, and the process for swapping out the old components. for example did you keep the old motor drivers, power supply etc. Have you added limit switches, E-stop or some kind of pendant control?
    If I thought I could just buy the USB controller and put in in my machine, and that would do it I would probably do it, but I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pari View Post
    Hi Jim,
    So I've been looking at the Planet website. What components did you use to upgrade your machine? I notice there is n Ethernet drive, did you use that or are you using USB. I'd like to here how you went about the upgrade, and the process for swapping out the old components. for example did you keep the old motor drivers, power supply etc. Have you added limit switches, E-stop or some kind of pendant control?
    If I thought I could just buy the USB controller and put in in my machine, and that would do it I would probably do it, but I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that.
    My MultiCam 22Plus was purchased in 1997. It worked great until the spindle broke. Being a cheapskate I purchased a Kress spindle after trying some lowball routers.
    Like you, I was tired of using windows 98 and the antique enroute/casmate software. MultiCam woud update my unit for $9k. (I could buy a new one for that!

After shopping around, I decided to use the Planet CNC controller and software to run "Arnold" (what I call my MC22). I am using Vectric Pro Carve software to do my designing of the job.

I have no experience what so ever in electronics and it took me a bit to get everything working but it all runs on Win 10 !! I have a small laptop in my shop to run Arnold. The controller card , power supply and drivers are located in an old Sony 5 CD changer that I gutted and put all my hardware in. So I spliced in after the MC drivers and just to play it safe, I double jumpered it so I could still use the old Arnold controller while getting the new gear sorted out. There is plenty of help on the Planet CNC fourm and website tutorials to show you how to do the new wiring.

The planet CNC application is great as I can watch the program cut the joj which is displayed on the laptop and stop it anywhere I want during the job if necessary.

I've included a pic of my new controller. Very simple as you ca see.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MULTICAM M1 ELECTRONICS UPGRADE-20150407_112446-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The image is very helpful. I found the thread you started on Planet forum as well, again very helpful.
    What is the round coil and two black tubes in the top right corner of your control box. My Multicam control box has something similar, is yours from Arnolds control box. When you say
    I double jumpered it so I could still use the old Arnold controller while getting the new gear sorted out.
    what do you mean by this as it sounds like it's a good idea. I don't want to be without a working machine especially if i screw something up.
    How much use of your original keypad control do you have left with the new system or are you using a completely new keypad. I find having the keypad at the machine really useful.
    What motor drivers did you use, they look new?