Please Help Multicam 44 plus rebuild

Thread: Please Help Multicam 44 plus rebuild

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please Help Multicam 44 plus rebuild

Here is a link to the item i purchased with pictures...Multicam 44 Series CNC Router 48" x 48" T Slot Aluminum Table 4 HP Spindle | eBay

Hi guys, I purchased a 1995 multicam 44 plus for cheap in the hopes of rebuilding. I quickly realized i don't know what I'm missing and what i have. The unit has no computer tower or anything attached. It was sold to retrofit as the original controller was said to be bad, here what it came with. Its basically this retrofit kit...

Page not found | Automation Technology Inc kl23h286 motors

I am not familiar with this unit...is it supposed to have a controller on the unit to move the spindle?

It came with no hard drive or any computer components. Just has the plugs connected to nothing.

Hope this all makes sense,

Thanks so much guys

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please Help Multicam 44 plus rebuild

The MC 44 Plus was supplied with a controller board, stepper drivers and power supply all in a metal cabinet. The machine needs to be connected to a PC running DNC to transfer files to the original controller. The original Extratech controller board for this model is no longer available. If you have the stepper drivers and power supply you should be able to convert it to use Mach3 as a controller. Or you might look at WinCNC.

I purchased this same router new in '95. Mine has 2 "Z's" with 5.5 hp Perske spindles. I've rebuilt mine a few times over the years, it still uses the original controller and electronics. The Applied Motion stepper driver's are no longer available, along with the size 23 Sigmax steppers. Since my machine was ordered with 2 Z's it has larger drivers and power supply. I just recently rebuilt and converted the 3 axis, drive transmissions to use size 34 steppers and with the original larger 5.5 amp Applied Motion drivers the machine performs much better. Mine has cut a lot of parts over the years and is still going strong.

I also have an all original MC 102 Pro with 2 Colombo 7.5 hp "Z's" with the high volume Vacuum Pump that I'm nursing along as a lot of it's parts are also obsolete.

Neal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great info. Really glad I found someone who actually has this machine. Yes all the original electronics are pretty much gone. What I have is a:

Power supply
    4 stepper motors
    4 motor drivers
    Breakout board

I'm gonna start putting in all the retrofit stuff and see if can't get it going...

Does your machine have limit switches?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCing View Post
    Does your machine have limit switches?
    My machine has the sensor type proximity/limit switches. If you're using Mach3 regular contact type limit switches are easy to install and accurate enuff for wood cnc work.

From looking at the pics of your parts it looks like the drive transmissions may be torn a part and or missing. These machine's use a cog belt transmission that the steppers mount to and with a spur pinion gear that interfaces with the toothed rack along each axis. You may have to rebuild what you have, design & build new ones or retro fit other ones such as in the link below.

PRO Rack and Pinion Drive, Nema 34 | CNCRouterParts

Something to keep in mind when using rack & pinion drives with transmissions is you need to have adjustable micro stepping drivers that can be set to the desired pulses needed depending or your axis ratio. The stock MC 44 transmissions use 5,000 micro steps per revolution, so the driver must be set to match.

Neal

Last edited by NSchlee; 10-11-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok got it. Great info very helpful. I noticed my unit also has proximity type limit switches as well. I was able to find all the parts, I assembeled all the drive transmissions and mounted all the motors. I'm gonna try to wire it up today. Last problem I have run into is that the spindle is 3 phase...I have been looking at phase converters for the spindle. Do you have any experience with these type of converters.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok got it. Great info very helpful. I noticed my unit also has proximity type limit switches as well. I was able to find all the parts, I assembeled all the drive transmissions and mounted all the motors. I'm gonna try to wire it up today. Last problem I have run into is that the spindle is 3 phase...I have been looking at phase converters for the spindle. Do you have any experience with these type of converters.
    You may be able to buy a 1 to 3 phase VFD (Variable-Frequency Drive) Invertor to power your spindle. I believe this type of 1 to 3 phase invertor has amps & hp limits. If not you'll need to buy a 3 phase vfd invertor and power it from a rotophase type convertor, assuming you only have single phase for the supply. Check your spindle's spec plate for phase, frequency, volts, amps and rpm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I'll get the specs off the spindle this evening to check what vfd is available for it. I'm a bit confused on the proper way to wire these motors...

I have kl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I will check the specs this evening on the spindle. Also I'm a bit confused on the wiring of these motors...

I have kl23h286-20-8b motors
    Kl4030 motor drivers
    C10 breakout board
    Kl-350-36

The colored wires on my motor do not mach the ones on this diagram. I believe my motors may be an older version. Are you familiar with this setup and should the motors be wired in bi-polar parallel? I'm a bit confused with that terminology. Here's a link to the wire diagram of you have a sec to let me know your thoughts.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...030WithC10.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I will check the specs this evening on the spindle. Also I'm a bit confused on the wiring of these motors...

I have kl23h286-20-8b motors
    Kl4030 motor drivers
    C10 breakout board
    Kl-350-36

The colored wires on my motor do not mach the ones on this diagram. I believe my motors may be an older version. Are you familiar with this setup and should the motors be wired in bi-polar parallel? I'm a bit confused with that terminology. Here's a link to the wire diagram of you have a sec to let me know your thoughts.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...030WithC10.pdf
    This may help, you'll have to determine which is best for your needs.
    Unipolar Vs Bipolar Stepper Motor|OSM-Optimal Step Motor Supplier

Neal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm actually rebuilding a Multicam 48 Plus, I just finished fully stripping down the machine and cleaning every single bearing! Let me know if you need to know anything specific. Did yours bring the T Slot vacuum table? Check the ends of the aluminum T slots, there should be holes.