DNC on Mori TV-30 - how hard can it be??

Thread: DNC on Mori TV-30 - how hard can it be??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DNC on Mori TV-30 - how hard can it be??

(I've posted this on Practical Machinist too, I'll keep both threads posted if someone comes up with a working solution)

I'm stumped. After intermittent attempts to figure this one out over 2 years still no luck. I'd be really greatful for cable connections and recommended parameters.

FWIW my current 3 wire cable (from Practical Machinist some time ago) will transfer programs back and forth but fails on the handshake. Mitsu manuals are useless because the Mori version of Meldas 50M has a D25 connector whereas Mitsu versions have a 20pin 3M connector. The local Mori rep. said they don't know but suggested a cable that works even less than my current one.

The Mori manual has cables for specific tape readers from just slightly ASA (after stone age) and that's it.

The problem is the same on several dnc programs so I think it's cable related.

Harri

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

If this is an RS232C connection, then unless someone knows the cable pin out for the handshaking the easiest thing to do is get an RS232 break out board.

Pins 2 and 3 on the DB25 will be Transmit/Receive and Pin 7 will be ground. There should be a Terminal Ready pin...don't recall which pin that is. Google RS232C.

You say the other side is a 3M connector....not a Centronics style printer cable?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Viper,

Sorry, I was unclear, my machine has D25, only the manuals are for a 20pin connector. I've googled the heck out of RS232 and tried many combinations with zero luck so far. I'm also waiting for a response from Mori but not counting on anything. I like the idea of the break out board and will try that if nothing else surfaces.

Harri

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Harri,
    I may be able to help you on this one. I haven't tried it, but it is interesting.

Have you ever had your machine get stuck in single block? This is what happened when I first got my TV-30. I called Mori, they said I needed to replace the touch screen. It's only about 3G's! After calling back a few times, I got a hold of the right guy. I just had to clear the GOP parameters. They sent me the procedure.

Here is where it got interesting......I put in the codes, and restarted the machine. When it fired back up, it was in Japanese! I kinda freaked out. Anyway, I called Mori back and finally got a hold of the right person again that had hand written notes on how to fix it if it popped up in a different language. Whew, back to English again!

Anyway, it changed a few things. The "MEM" button changed to "Auto". Then it added a button that is not in the manual. It is on the far top right and says RES I think. I'll check later. It has arrows going around the outside in a clockwise direction. That may be the DNC button???

I haven't had time to try it though. Just a thought. After reading your post, I am thinking that the DNC was an option you had to pay for. I was told that when you put the GOP parameters in, in this order, it was some sort of password.

If you want, I will send you the procedure, but use it at your own risk!
    Let me know.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I'm glad to hear you're familiar with the the "today we are going to speak Japanese!" stunt. Meldas 50 has a real personality, cryptic error messages and such. Luckily sounds like you have a really good Mori rep there, actually able to solve problems on an older machine.

DNC is standard afaik, just a matter of getting the RS232 to communicate properly. Mine has Auto, Tape and Direct for running programs so no problem there. There are also two serial ports, one for parameters (marked "panel") and the other one for programs ("NC"). Do you have a memory card with the machine? Good for backups..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Harri J View Post
    Jim, I'm glad to hear you're familiar with the the "today we are going to speak Japanese!" stunt. Meldas 50 has a real personality, cryptic error messages and such. Luckily sounds like you have a really good Mori rep there, actually able to solve problems on an older machine.

DNC is standard afaik, just a matter of getting the RS232 to communicate properly. Mine has Auto, Tape and Direct for running programs so no problem there. There are also two serial ports, one for parameters (marked "panel") and the other one for programs ("NC"). Do you have a memory card with the machine? Good for backups..
    Nope, no memory card. I can send programs PC to machine, no problem through the RS232. Actually, it pissed me off that they put the DB25 right next to the door. Just doesn't make any sense. So what I did was I ran the cable through the side of the machine, (where that side panel comes off and there is a black tube). I pulled the connector off of the panel and connected it to my RS232 cable. This way it has no chance of getting wet, it is not in your way, and you don't have to plug it in every time you want to run a program. Worked out good.

So you can't get your PC to talk to it at all? Or just DNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's interesting, I thought the memory card was standard. Mine has a slot above the (stupidly placed) DB25. I can transfer programs ok but no luck with DNC. I did exactly the same to avoid hitting the cable

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It may be standard, but they didn't give one to me with it. I thought about buying one. It is just a PIMCIA memory card right? I also have a slot on the side of the screen so you don't have to open the stupid door. What software are you using to DNC? I can try it today and see if it works. I use Mastercam. Do you just go to direct and cycle start?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, that other plug that you were talking about from Mitsubishi, I think is on the main board in the back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Harri,
    OK, finally need to drip feed (DNC) my Mori. It works, no problem. Just go to tape, send your program and hit go. Did you get it figured out yet? I also had to set the stop bits different. I ran with 7 on the machine and 8 on the PC. Let me know if you need any more info.

Last edited by Custom Billet; 02-28-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default GOP Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Billet View Post
    Hey Harri,
    I may be able to help you on this one. I haven't tried it, but it is interesting.

Have you ever had your machine get stuck in single block? This is what happened when I first got my TV-30. I called Mori, they said I needed to replace the touch screen. It's only about 3G's! After calling back a few times, I got a hold of the right guy. I just had to clear the GOP parameters. They sent me the procedure.

Jim
    Jim, I know this is an old message, but do you still have the procedure for clearing the GOP Parameters?

Ed Sylvis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DNC on Mori TV-30 - how hard can it be??

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Billet View Post
    Hey Harri,

Here is where it got interesting......I put in the codes, and restarted the machine. When it fired back up, it was in Japanese! I kinda freaked out. Anyway, I called Mori back and finally got a hold of the right person again that had hand written notes on how to fix it if it popped up in a different language. Whew, back to English again!

Anyway, it changed a few things. The "MEM" button changed to "Auto". Then it added a button that is not in the manual. It is on the far top right and says RES I think. I'll check later. It has arrows going around the outside in a clockwise direction. That may be the DNC button???

I haven't had time to try it though. Just a thought. After reading your post, I am thinking that the DNC was an option you had to pay for. I was told that when you put the GOP parameters in, in this order, it was some sort of password.

If you want, I will send you the procedure, but use it at your own risk!
    Let me know.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I know that 7 years have passed since this post, but maybe you're still here and would see my question.
    I have a TV-400 machine with the same Meldas M50 controller with the touch screen that has the same single block problem.
    I know how to override this problem but I wish to solve it once and for all.
    Please be kind and share the GOP parameter clear procedure.

Thanks
    shay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DNC on Mori TV-30 - how hard can it be??

Hi Shay,

Yes, resetting GOP parameters can solve a lot of problems...
    1. Turn off the GOP write protect keys
    2. Page down and change 39 to 123
    3. Change 38 to 98
    4. Change 21 to 1 (to go back to English)

I have an M01 Operation Error 0101 that wont clear and wont let me do anything.

chrisclub@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisclub View Post
    Hi Shay,

Yes, resetting GOP parameters can solve a lot of problems...
    1. Turn off the GOP write protect keys
    2. Page down and change 39 to 123
    3. Change 38 to 98
    4. Change 21 to 1 (to go back to English)

I have an M01 Operation Error 0101 that wont clear and wont let me do anything.

chrisclub@gmail.com
    Hi Chris

Thanks for the procedure. It solved the single block problem I had.
    It's amazing how simple it was.

Thanks again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by s_itzcovitz View Post
    Hi Chris

Thanks for the procedure. It solved the single block problem I had.
    It's amazing how simple it was.

Thanks again
    Glad it helped. Please send me an email to chrisclub@gmail.com

Thanks,

Chris