Mori horizontal spindle problems

Thread: Mori horizontal spindle problems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mori horizontal spindle problems

Has anyone had spindle issues with their SH40 or SH 400 horizontals. we have two of them and have replaced both spindles. After 8 months one of them has gone bad again. Is this a characteristic of this machine? We have not crashed either one of them.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are the max RPM's for the spindle? I have seen when a 20,000rpm spindle geats rebuilt, it does not always get rebuilt right due to the hydraulic booster.
    Need to make sure a new spindle gets run in correctly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My spindle is a 12000 rpm spindle. We had Mori rebuild the spindle and install so that all would be right. They are saying the last spindle failed due to contamination, but we don't know how that could be. any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cullipj View Post
    Has anyone had spindle issues with their SH40 or SH 400 horizontals. we have two of them and have replaced both spindles. After 8 months one of them has gone bad again. Is this a characteristic of this machine? We have not crashed either one of them.
    cullipj,
    8 months?? Shouldn't it be covered under warranty? I would like to see what you find out. Good Luck!!

Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

right now they are saying that it is not covered. they are saying that the bearing are contaminated with dirt. My issue is that they installed it and I would like to know where the contamination came from. Back to the original question is that does anyone know if spindle life is a widespread problem with this model of Mori's?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been working for the Mori distributor for 4 years now, and have only replaced one horizontal spindle, on a SH-63. I have done the 20,000rpm one on a SV-500(Vertical).
    The only way dirt gets into those bearings is if your oilers have the dirt in them. If I remember right, those have an oil over air distribution system. Need to see if the tanks are clean.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After reading the actual report is was not oil, but coolant and particulate contamination. How would coolant get into the bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SH spindles

VERY widespread problem. I've done at least a dozen. Ways to prevent this, iv'e found.

High pressure coolant.. the brass din style coolant plungers with the rubber seal on front of the spindle. People don't pay enough attention to those. THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED if they are leaking. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Turn up the oiling cycle VERY slightly for the air mist. There is a small vent hole at the bottom of the spindle. Tape a piece of klenex under this hole and run the spindle for 15 minutes at about 1K. Remove the klenex and see if it has oil on it. No oil, bad JUJU.

Run the spindle for at least 30 seconds after high pressure coolant to help purge the labrynth.

Check your oil cooler and change the fluid AND CLEAN the filter. You don't always notice a problem with these cause there on the back side of the machine.

And my number one reason- shops too lazy to loctite the retention knobs in. In the case of high pressure coolant, coolant will run back up and seep past the drawbar. This will usually only take out the rear bearing and sieze the drawbar.

I installed the very first SH40 in the us btw. I was there through all the SH series.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SH series

My post was not meant to scare anyone from the Mori's. There is a reason there are probably 20 to 1 posts here mori VS other machines. I was a service/application engineer locally for twenty years. First choice of machines for me is always Mori, followed very closely with Okuma. I've worked on brands few have ever even heard of and other "popular" machines.

It's always about the quality of the service no matter what brand.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input on the coolant. My problem is that we don't use the high pressure coolant-not even hooked up.My next question would be where could the coolant be coming from to contaminate the bearings. According to Mori it was the front bearings that went bad.

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default coolant issue

1 Check oil/air with the method I described with the klenex. No air/oil mist=coolant in the spindle. 2 Check the oil cooler, spindle gets hot during running, then cools off and sucks coolant in. Only 2 ways I know of.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks, I will check those things. Mori says that the coolant is entering through the labrynth. the suggestion is that we are running tools to short allowing the coolant to flood around the spindle and into the labrynth area. They suggest running tool holders 2" longer. I don't see how that will really help. does this seem to be feasible?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default short tool

I've never heard of this, but anything is possible. I would suspect something wrong with the air/oil mist though. Should have enough air purge with that system to keep coolant out. Mori will not want you to turn up the oiling for that system, but I have done it at a shop with 4 of them in a cell. They replaced spindles every 18 months before, now they can't remember the last time they did one. I think factory one one lube shot every 120 seconds if I remember correctly ( don't have a ladder diagram here ). I decreased it to every 90 to 100 seconds. Don't over oil however, that could destroy a spindle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the ideas. We will check it out when we get the new spindle in. Are all horizontals this sensitive with their spindles? Our verticals run for years on end without changing spindle bearings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Horizontals

Thats a tuff question. I would say in general no. But it all depends on the series of machines, where in the country the machines are, and hours of use. The MV40M verticals on the west coast used to eat spindles for lunch. East coast they were fine. West coast tends to do a lot of high speed aluminum cutting, where the east coast used to do a lot of heavier work with lower RPM. Mori came out with a fix for those machines, wich was air/oil spindles replacing the grease pack. SH40/400 spindles were a little more sensitive at first then the other SH series, but even the SH63/630 had problems. They were all re-designed/modified by Mori until they became pretty stable. The SH series ( especially sh XX ) was the very first generation of the new high speed centers Mori designed. That was in the very early 90's. The new NH series are really super nice machines that from what I saw never had the teething issues of the early machines.

Keep in mind that horizontals typicaly run twice as much as a vertical does because of the APC.

Again, check the stuff I told you. Something is not right somewhere.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We run a SH633, with lots of cast iron, that just kills the coolant,and have never had an issue. 10 k RPM spindle. Seems odd to me.

Locktiting pull studs? Serous? I have never had one come loose if torqued. Sometimes you have to pull the stud out to get tooling out. It wouldnt be worth the hassle. I have never seen this done, nor would ever do it. There is no way that coolant could get past two ground surfaces anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by APP View Post
    We run a SH633, with lots of cast iron, that just kills the coolant,and have never had an issue. 10 k RPM spindle. Seems odd to me.

Locktiting pull studs? Serous? I have never had one come loose if torqued. Sometimes you have to pull the stud out to get tooling out. It wouldnt be worth the hassle. I have never seen this done, nor would ever do it. There is no way that coolant could get past two ground surfaces anyway.

Wanna bet ! I've seen ruined drawbars from coolant getting through. 1500 PSI will get in a lot of places. I never said to do it to keep them from comming loose !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    This Raja I have Mori seiki SH-50 HMC with Fanuc 16MB controller in this the Atc not working .But other axis moving good .And Auto cycle not working not working.....

Please help me
    i need cicuit diagram and pmc backup and keeprelay details etc....