Need Help! SL25-MC5 Turret problem

Thread: SL25-MC5 Turret problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SL25-MC5 Turret problem

I am having an issue with the turret. It is not clamping at 2 tool stations. The turret was taken off as the machine crashed. The turret was taken off and replaced and the tool stations that did not clamp changed (it started with problems at 9 and 10 then moved to 3 and 4). I read one post that the O-ring on the mounting place caused this problem but the surface has been cleaned thoroughly. Does anyone know any mechanical issues that would cause that?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SL25-MC5 Turret problem

I was looking at it again today. The turret rotates a bit while it clamps at the other stations. Is that normal or is it in the wrong position but close enough to clamp?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will it clamp with all the holders off? Out of balance too far can cause this. The turret may rotate a small amount when clamping, but if a lot, the switch dogs on the rear need to be adjusted, or whoever put the coupling back in didn't do it correctly.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just had the one small boring bar holder on it. I don't think the weight would be an issue. It looks like it is out quite a bit. The switch dogs would make sense, I will check that out. Is there a manual that goes over adjusting that? The maintenance manual does not seem to cover that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do I just have to adjust the home position in parameters? I can get it to lock at most positions. Or is it a mechanical issue, I am not sure how the indexing works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do the dogs determine the turret index points or is that caused by a timer or belt and then the dogs and switches ensure that the turret is actually in the right position?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think the couplings are the problem because they were not taken off. They just had the taper pins removed. Does anyone know what the gap between the turret head and the base is supposed to be when the turret is clamped. Maybe the head did not seat far enough? Sorry this thread is a little messy, I am just thinking aloud. Once I find the problem it will probably be obvious.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been adjusting the dogs in the back and it seems to be fixing the problem. Is there a specific way to adjust them or is it just a matter of fiddling with them until it works? Thanks for the suggestion of adjusting the dogs.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just adjusting them. Also, make sure the turret is tight on the front shaft, not sure if your model has bolts to the clamp piston, or a large nut. There is no home position to adjust, it's the old style hydraulic driven turret.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The turret has the nut. Thanks for the clarification on the indexing. It looked like it was just hydraulic but it is nice to get conformation. It seems to be a little rougher on one side of the turret than the other but I guess it won't be perfect after its accident. I guess I will just have to check the accuracy and see if it is tolerable. Thanks for the help.