Mori SL1 Retrofit - The Build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mori SL1 Retrofit - The Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mori SL1 Retrofit - The Build

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    I was going to sell the stuff, but I don't have the time or the space. I'm having my driveway redone so it had to go. Tossed it all.

As for the Z I got estimates for regrinds. Prices from anywhere from $1000-$2500 with the average being $1500.

I decided to use bigger balls to see if I could forgo the expensive route. Baltec is really the only game in town for balls of any size. My balls measured .2805". I went with .280734" and got my backlash from .005" to .002". So I ordered .280914" and then I'll load the two ball nuts against each other. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem.
    Hi, not sure if you know this but in ball nuts, typically they run 2 sizes of ball, one the size req'd for correct fit, and the other size slightly smaller (not sure how much smaller (maybe .0005)) installed in an alternating pattern. I found this out after I re-balled a makino leadscrew, so far it's OK

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you guys got the turret to work?

I have an old 1979 SL3 i was thinking of doing a Linuxcnc conversion. The turret being the hardest part to implement as far as I could tell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine working, but then again I replaced all the electronics on the lathe and started over. I didn't however get it working with mach 4 controlling it. Mach 4 is a bit confusing when it comes to implementing outside control.

I just have an 8 position switch and push button to make tool changes. I bring it back to home and do my tool change. I don't use the lathe that much, but if i did, I would just have mach 4 bring the carriage back to home for a manual tool change. So cut with one tool > move carriage back to home > then I can switch tools and then press cycle start.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    I got mine working, but then again I replaced all the electronics on the lathe and started over. I didn't however get it working with mach 4 controlling it. Mach 4 is a bit confusing when it comes to implementing outside control.

I just have an 8 position switch and push button to make tool changes. I bring it back to home and do my tool change. I don't use the lathe that much, but if i did, I would just have mach 4 bring the carriage back to home for a manual tool change. So cut with one tool > move carriage back to home > then I can switch tools and then press cycle start.
    I guess that's one way of doing it, if your not running production that would be quite viable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cartierusm

I know you don't use the M16 anymore but you still might know. There is an input for an encoder on the board. Is it for spindle indexing or for axis movement (pendant)?

I think Arturo gets tired of my questions. I asked him about this but he hasn't answer.

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know sorry. I got rid of the M16 because there is ZERO tech support. I would junk it and get the Pokeys57CNC much more robust with REAL engineers for tech support. The problem with the M16 is it's made for Arturo specifically to his specifications so he's the only one who knows about it. The problem with that is he doesn't remember most of it. He's actually said this to me when I had similar questions. He doesn't remember his own product he designed. Don't get me wrong he tries to be helpful, but doesn't know most of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to hear that.

The M16 looks quite beautiful and I like the rj45 type connections. I hope I won't regret buying it.

I wonder why the M16 is branded as pokeys if it isn't made by polabs.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

It's made for use with Pokeys, but it's not made by pokeys.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.
    Can we see this thing run?
    Youtube video?

Thx.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would, but I'm super busy building out my new space. If I remember I can in a few months.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever considered acorn for lathe control ? Some people told a good story about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I've been using mach for ages so I'm familiar with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12