Mori SL Series Systems Help

Thread: Mori SL Series Systems Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mori SL Series Systems Help

So I think I'm going to retrofit my 1978 Mori SL1. If any of you have a similar machine I would like some help as to the systems I have to hook up.

1. On the right side is an oil tank and pump that goes to the spindle. I'm assuming it's either dedicated lubrication or cooling for the spindle. My question is does this run all the time or only when the spindle is on?
    2. The auto Oiler in front; mine says Lube Corp Model IT. Does it run all the time, or is the CNC controlling it or does it have it's own built in timer?
    3. The hydraulic system has quite a few lines I haven't traced them all, they obviously go to the Spindle for chucks or collet closers, it also goes to the tool changer and tailstock center. What else is the hydraulic system controlling and for that matter how does the tailstock itself move and lock down?

Then there's the standard stuff, servos with encoders for X and Z, spindle motor with encoders, limit switches and homing switches, Coolant Pump.

If there's anything else you can think of I appreciate the input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mori SL Series Systems Help

Oil pump for the spindle runs all the time, hydraulic unit runs all the time, solenoids to switch chuck, tailstock, turret clamp etc. Way lube pump should be a plunger style and run all the time except should stop in emergency stop. Tailstock body is probably manual, with a hydraulic quill, but it's also been years since I touched a SL1.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, Thanks. Haven't figured out how to move the tailstock body yet, don't have power to it yet either so I can't move everything out of the way to see.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    So I think I'm going to retrofit my 1978 Mori SL1. If any of you have a similar machine I would like some help as to the systems I have to hook up.

1. On the right side is an oil tank and pump that goes to the spindle. I'm assuming it's either dedicated lubrication or cooling for the spindle. My question is does this run all the time or only when the spindle is on?
    2. The auto Oiler in front; mine says Lube Corp Model IT. Does it run all the time, or is the CNC controlling it or does it have it's own built in timer?
    3. The hydraulic system has quite a few lines I haven't traced them all, they obviously go to the Spindle for chucks or collet closers, it also goes to the tool changer and tailstock center. What else is the hydraulic system controlling and for that matter how does the tailstock itself move and lock down?

Then there's the standard stuff, servos with encoders for X and Z, spindle motor with encoders, limit switches and homing switches, Coolant Pump.

If there's anything else you can think of I appreciate the input.
    Be prepared for a long hard journey of tracing wires if you are going to try and use all of the original servo drives, servos and spindle drive,spindle motor, I've got all of mine traced and most of the coding done but I'm having trouble with the original servo drives and servos not running smoothly they speed up and slow down no matter how I adjust them, I'm going to order an ocillascope and see if I can't see what's causing it to do so, I have a lot of the wire numbers traced and wrote down if that would help you, also remember that all the relays on the mori are closed or opened with ground so you'll have to rewire everyone of the to close or open with 24vdc

Downloads
    Uploads

Redzilla, thanks. I'm not using anything original except the hydraulic system, spindle oiler/lube, auto oiler and Tool Changer. Everything else is going to be new.

Can you explain how the tool changer works? I'm curious as to how the motor gets it's position, is it mechanical or is it hooked up to the computer and it's being told how much to turn to the next position.

Also how does it know what tool it's on? Are there sensors for each position?

You say you have your programming done, what did you have to program?

If you need parts I'm going to be selling mine. Let me know and I'll make you a hell of a deal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh and going to use one of the Yaskawa transformers to power the hydraulic solenoids as it's 100VAC.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I've finally tore into the lathe. Pulled covers off and such. Figured out how the tool changer works.

Couple of questions for those who might know.

1. The tool changer has a place for oil. Does anyone know what kind of oil it takes?
    2. The tool changer operates with a cam system and proximity sensors. There are 5 proximity sensors and another one that is flat and reads a sprocket type of thing. I was wondering what that is, maybe just for redundancy to make sure it's in position? See pic, it's the bottom one.
    3. How does the tailstock move; not the hydraulic part that comes out, but the whole tail stock. I can't seem to figure out how it works, as I have no power to the machine. And is there a lock on it so it doesn't move once it's in place?
    4. On the back of the tailstock is a big hand screw, what is that for?
    5. What kind of oil does the spindle oiler/cooler take?
    6. Does the hydraulic chuck stay closed all the time. Meaning, the pedal for the chuck is a momentary switch, so I assume you step on it to release the chuck and then it closes when you let off the pedal?
    7. Can the ball screws/ball nuts be adjusted? By just turning the Z axis it seems as though there is a little play. Can't tell on the X axis as it has weight on it.
    8. On the X axis there are two limit switches and a proximity sensor. Just wondering what the proximity sensor is for as it already has two limit switches?
    9. On the X axis there is another, what looks like, encoder or sensor, in front of the servo. Is it just to make sure it's spinning at the correct speed or that the belt hasn't broken? See pic.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mori SL Series Systems Help-img_0671-jpg   Mori SL Series Systems Help-img_0686-jpg